Soundtoys v5 bundle vs Melda Mxxx

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soundtoys v5 bundle vs Melda Mxxx , both on sale, both on similar price, pro and cons of these plugins?

for more instant gratification soundtoys might win, but for tweakers Mxxx seems to be a paradise to explore with a really good sound as well

If you want great classic sounds along with a rack system that really helps experimentation, then get Soundtoys.

I love Meldy and use many of their plugins but I wouldn't take Mxxx over the v5 bundle at all.

MXXX is the most powerful FX plugin available. It's hard for me to think of something it can't do. It's ridiculously flexible and it get updated with new FX regularly. It has almost completely stopped my G.A.S. The only downsides are, some people don't like the GUI(I don't think melda's GUIs are bad, but perhaps I'm in the minority), it's complicated, it is uncompromisingly digital(it doesn't try to emulate analog stuff).

I have no doubt Soundtoys will have an instant gratification factory and those that have used the hardware before will appreciate it. That said MXXX is a much better bang for your buck option.

Chandlerhimself wrote:MXXX is the most powerful FX plugin available. It's hard for me to think of something it can't do. It's ridiculously flexible and it get updated with new FX regularly. It has almost completely stopped my G.A.S. The only downsides are, some people don't like the GUI(I don't think melda's GUIs are bad, but perhaps I'm in the minority), it's complicated, it is uncompromisingly digital(it doesn't try to emulate analog stuff).

I have no doubt Soundtoys will have an instant gratification factory and those that have used the hardware before will appreciate it. That said MXXX is a much better bang for your buck option.
I second that! MXXX rocks it's a monster it feels like only scratching the surface everytime I use it ! If tweaking and endless possibility is not your thing go for Soundtoys.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I tested both and would recommend the Soundtoys bundle. It just feels right and its fun working with it. Soundtoys is easy to use with great results.

There's really no comparison. Soundtoys stuff is a suite of nice emulations. It focuses on giving you that "hardware sound." MXXX is a monster modular effects processor.

For me, I'd go MXXX. I have a few nice effect emulations that I really like, and I'm much more into the power and flexibility of something like MXXX.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

yeah and to add to this, with the right settings MXXX can cover some of the soundtoys fxs and don't sound worst far from that..

Mxxx get newer plugins as well and will be updated quickly if there is some bugs, a other good point for melda but still really enjoy soundtoys plugs too..need to demo more but so far i m thinking to go Mxxx

Mxxx get all the plugins from Mtotal bundle?
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No doubt, the Soundtoys bundle!

MXXX has its strength on modulation and complexity. At the same time you have to ask the developer "how can I do this or that?". It's not self explaining and you have to spend a really big amount of time until you can use it the dedicated way. And the Melda GUI... ...well :roll:

Soundtoys sounds great. You want a specific sound - seconds later you got it. It's just the right bundle to implement your ideas before they are gone.

Soundplex wrote:No doubt, the Soundtoys bundle!

Soundtoys sounds great. You want a specific sound - seconds later you got it. It's just the right bundle to implement your ideas before they are gone.
yes it's really the strenght of the bundle ...
i have no problem with the interface of melda, i made one that suit me and find it really good for fast programing (i own and really enjoy mpowersynth )

i like the instant gratification of the soundtoys but also really like the no limitation of Mxxx, the Mxxx can be made to be simple too , once some presets are made , need to spend more time on the demo to see what is best suited for me

zerocrossing wrote:There's really no comparison. Soundtoys stuff is a suite of nice emulations. It focuses on giving you that "hardware sound." MXXX is a monster modular effects processor.

For me, I'd go MXXX. I have a few nice effect emulations that I really like, and I'm much more into the power and flexibility of something like MXXX.
I second everything zerocrossing said - in fact I could not have said it better. Soundtoys really sounds great if you especially want that vintage vibe. But with MXXX, the sky's the limit. Plan to spend some time learning how to work with the Melda modulation scheme (there are some excellent video tutorials). Once you have all that down, like I said, the sky's the limit.

MXXX is for those of us who are more technical, creative or need something unique
Amazon: why not use an alternative

well different things no? Mxxx is on sale for 299 euros and is normally 1 THOUSAND euros (~1100 USD). Soundtoys except for one time a year on BF where it is $280 ish, is $429 USD from resellers.

MXXX contains a huge palette of fx yet i don't think any of them have that true vintage sound like soundtoys.

My idea is to try mxxx core, the cheap one, and then add as many equivalent processors as you need to make it as close to what the soundtoys bundle has. Then compare prices, and i bet you still won't be able to get the MXXX sounding like the soundtoys stuff.

To me MXXX is like a keyboard workstation that covers every sound imaginable for an all in one studio workhorse, but obviously an EFFECTS version of that as a plugin.

I have tried melda everything and they make fine plugins but they also make a lot of crap ones (obviously only my opinion). I have never heard anything from the melda delays sounding like echoboy, nor any saturation/distortion sounding like decapitator and radiator.
Melda pitch shift does not have the quality of little altar boy, and soundtoys microshift might just be the finest doubling plugin on the market.

Basically we have ultra high quality vintage simulations with a modern twist vs a powerful digital fx suite.

Personally if I wanted a complete comprehensive plugin suite, I would save for mercury over MXXX. Of course if you are tweakhead that wants to modulate everything with everything, then MXXX will be more suitable for you.

That's just me though. i find melda plugins, even the basic dedicated single ones, kind of infuriating to work with TBH.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just to mention, the melda plugins have audio quality settings that range from 1 to 16 times oversampling, which drastically alter the sound, especially the more heavy duty algos in plugins such as the harmoniser, transformer, vocoder. I suggest changing these when demoing.

Even just changing from 1 to 2 times oversampling gives an audible difference in most of the plugs.

They are very deep that allow to tweak settings not normally exposed in most plugs.

The Mxxx bundle is one of the closest youll get to an Eventide H8000 in software.

And lets not forget the ability to create feedback loops.
Mxxx is really nuts :)

I tried both, bought Soundtoys 5 ($266 USD in BF sale)

They both do good demos, use your ears, get the one that's suits you.

I went for ST5 as I like the softer analogue sounds and the interface, MXXX made me feel like I was programing the effect in MAX, that may suit some people. I just like to plug in my guitar and play!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Effects”