[SOLVED BY Guillermo. Thanks!] Lost Cubase 5 Essential CD. My own solution for OSX

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hank the Knife wrote:This topic is about a REQUEST to solve the license holder X's trouble with company Y though.
Is it, really?
krandr wrote:Lost my Cubase 5 Essential CD.
After 45 days of waiting, got reply from Steinberg:

Panagiotis Kontos wrote: Unfortunately we discontinued technical support for the product you are requesting support for.

Please note that there will be no more updates, bug fixes or patches. We also cannot provide replacements for installation discs or manuals.

Officially Cubase Essential 5 was never compatible with Mac OS X 10.9.

Thanks for your understanding! If you are experiencing further problems, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Panagiotis Kontos
Steinberg Technical Support Representative
Thanks for a "great" support Steinberg! :tu:
Note also that this version was before that "We care for you no matter what happens" thing which is now the standard for most companies, because they know that their customers don't care enough.

chk071 wrote:Well, for discontinued, 6 year old software, which has seen 3 versions and multiple half-version since, you could. In any way, i would contact the Steinberg rep on the forum here, and ask for the ISO file, or ask support again, if they can provide you with one. I still think it's your responsibility in the first place to make sure you don't lose the installation media though.
Ok. I'll clone all my installs and put them into 2nd safe place (in case if fire)
Last edited by krandr on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PS customer downloads cost money as well. It is to compare with company costs in that area.
@chk071
I am sure people do care more than ever. It's more about what the care is associated with; thus what has the strongest relation to a given 'care interest'.
In this sense you can even state that a crook has more to care about than someone who acts usually in a legal way according to the constitution as a whole: the society.
Someone who lies has more to care about than someone who speaks the truth; when it comes to speaking. That is: conversating.
Last edited by Hank the Knife on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krandr wrote:
KingClarkie wrote: Did you ask for replacement discs or a download link for the ISO?
Yes, I've asked for a download link for the ISO. But Steinberg refused my request :(
You could try googling for the link yourself.

Given that they'll happily dish out links to an unsupported Cubase LE 5 it seems a bit mean to restrict access to the equally unsupported Cubase Essential 5 especially if you already have a license.
Last edited by KingClarkie on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank the Knife wrote:PS customer downloads cost money as well. It is to compare with company costs in that area.
Native Instruments provides downloads for all products versions. And still have cheapest bundled solutions for musicians

KingClarkie wrote: You could try googling for the link yourself.
Ha Ha.
I can't find even Cubase 5 FULL ISO by Google search.

Analysis.
Well, the term 'responsibility' is just an eloquent term for 'care'. Every form of government probably has a department for 'care'. 8)
PS in this case we must not be afraid to enter the Dark Side and solve:
the Mystery of The Lost Cubensis

krandr wrote:
chk071 wrote:Well, for discontinued, 6 year old software, which has seen 3 versions and multiple half-version since, you could. In any way, i would contact the Steinberg rep on the forum here, and ask for the ISO file, or ask support again, if they can provide you with one. I still think it's your responsibility in the first place to make sure you don't lose the installation media though.
Ok. I'll clone all my installs and put them into 2nd safe place (in case if fire)
Actually not a bad idea at all. I have all my installers saved to an external harddrive. And i know a lot of people who clone their system to be able to restore in case of a harddrive failure.

Mission 1: make contact with Major Tom.
Goal: proclaimed odds of achievement: 0.005%.
Reason: I'm afraid we are not sure if his analog 60s equipment still functions :(

Maybe Steinberg have lost all CD's too. :P

Mission 2:
Contact Wincon Nixdorf
Odds unknown but you never know :lol:
Reason: Cubase admin probably runs on Siemens Nixdorf hw

That's a fundamental computing lesson learned the hard way:
It is the user's responsibility to plan for the recovery of essential software and data.

If one is careless enough to 'lose' the original install media of software that is important, without having made some backup of it, then this story is a potential consequence of that failure.

It's all about personal responsibility surely :dog:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

n/m

Yep Steinberg are d i c k s in this regard. The bottom line is they want to make another sale for newer software, and this is a very good excuse for them to capitalize on your loss.

I totally agree that it's the responsibility of the owner/buyer to make sure the software is not lost in the 1st place, and duplicated/backed up. If not, then there's always a possibility that someone who has a copy can make one for you.

As an alternative, eBay often has older versions selling for cheap. Other than this, there are always 'certain' Cubase versions floating around on the internet that Steinberg would love you to have :shrug:

I have to agree with chk01 here. We live in the age of free cloud space and insanely cheap USB drives. A common practice should be to back up anything on CD or DVD because one good scratch and it's useless anyway.

Between Google, MS, Dropbox, Apple, and a few others like Asus, I probably have well over 50 gb of free cloud space to backup anything like that.

What would happen if some company you bought software from just goes under, completely disappears? You should make you own installer backups, since it's easy and free enough.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”