Building a song from scratch, tutorials?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the best tutorials that you've seen? :ud:

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It's a nice talk, isn't it? But not really what i was asking. 8)

Steps to write a song:

1. Learn to play an instrument
2. Learn music theory
3. Sample other people's music from old records, mash it together, and call it your own original song.
4. Watch stuff on YouTube.

Edit: The drop... I forgot the drop!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Okay look, here's a serious response. Sure, I'm sure you can find some tutorials, which may or may not be of questionable value. But you're basically asking for a quick fix for what is actually a vast field of study and practice to which people devote their entire lives. You'd like it all wrapped up in a quick tutorial video. Would you expect a tutorial to teach you how to become a brain surgeon or an astrophysicist or an architect? What leads you to believe that songwriting (at least good, skilled songwriting) is any less difficult?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Okay look, here's a serious response. Sure, I'm sure you can find some tutorials, which may or may not be of questionable value. But you're basically asking for a quick fix for what is actually a vast field of study and practice to which people devote their entire lives. You'd like it all wrapped up in a quick tutorial video. Would you expect a tutorial to teach you how to become a brain surgeon or an astrophysicist or an architect? What leads you to believe that songwriting (at least good, skilled songwriting) is any less difficult?
What are you talking about? :lol: I just want to see how other people start and progress their tracks and the process behind it, I am not looking for a "quick fix", looking for an inspiration/ new techniques which i most definitely get from well made tracks.
Last edited by 2xW on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starting the track is the easiest thing to do - just one idea or sound can make it.

The difficult part is to finish the track :hihi:

...unless you are bored and have no idea what to do - there is no hope.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

There are as many songwriting processes as there are songwriters. You'll find it difficult if you don't play a keyboard instrument or guitar.
Some people start with a chord sequence, some with a snippet of a melody, some just rip off someone else's tune.
I often start with a sense of atmosphere that I want to create. :tu:

Groove3 has some "start to finish" tutorials for some house track in ableton live.
dedication to flying

There are also some "from scratch" tutorials from SeamlessR on YouTube, using FL Studio. If you're a tracker person (Renoise, for example), all old MOD files can be loaded and analyzed for their structure.

If you want a good selection of track tutorials then the best thing to do is subscribe to Sonic Academy

They currently have a 40% off Black Friday deal which gives you gold access for £60/$90 for the year, giving you hundreds of tutorials to choose from. There are a lot of established artist full track tutorials (and a couple of synthesis tutorials from me :wink: ) in that deal.

I get no kickbacks from this recommendation, but the tutorials on there are really very good.

The Black Friday deal ends tomorrow.

http://www.sonicacademy.com/News/newsit ... FF.cid7893

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sonic Academy recommendation here as well, just subscribed for another year.

I've done a few tutorials & like watching the interviews as well, cant complain for £60 for a year, plus you get a few quid off their sample packs and ANA vst.

The only thing I find strange, when watching tutorials is how much people use EQ/compression on pretty much every track, I know we live in a digital age where it's possible to do this, but surely not every sound you use in a track really needs that much treatment, it sometimes gets to the point it appears surgical! I've seen some crazy processing chains going on.

2xW wrote:What are the best tutorials that you've seen? :ud:
Dunno about the best but sonic academy and groove3 and.. Was it macpro? Have commercial tuts. Personally I'd just pick a song that I like and open/recreate it in a daw. That's actually what I did :D

check out dancemusicproduction.com by far the best tutorials out there, other tutorials focus on the "how", these focus on the "why" why you do this, that etc. gives you an in-depth look at techniques, theory etc. may be a little pricey if you're short on cash though it'll be the best investment you've ever made.

Feel free to check out the forums, small bunch of active yet helpful members, great tutorial support, great resource has a bunch of threads on useful topics, so if there's anything you're wondering about give it a search, if you can't find it open a thread the admins and forum members will try to help you the best they can.

In terms of tutorial choice, I'd suggest checking out the Fundamental Series, Sessions, then Genre Series.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”