Keystroke Consumption

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been demoing MuLab for a bit here and it's perfect! It does everything I need it to, simply and elegantly. :clap:

Well, perfect except for one thing... On any VST, I am unable to type into a field. The field takes focus, the cursor sits there flashing, but I am unable to type anything. This makes it impossible to name/rename presets, search for presets or enter exact values.

Someone is consuming my keystrokes! :scared: and it's not MuLab. If the VST popup window has the focus, the spacebar will start/stop as normal. If the hosted VST window has focus, it will not. I know the keystrokes are getting stolen as I can hit Option + u and the umlaut shows, waiting for the next keystroke to put it on top of, but it never comes... :cry:

I am running the MuLab 6.5.43 on Mac OS 10.10.5. Please help!

Also, do you see VST3 support in your crystal ball yet? :pray:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

And I forgot about the white window issue... :dog:
Yup, I'm seeing it too...

Will backing up to 10.9 make all these issues go away?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote:On any VST, I am unable to type into a field. The field takes focus, the cursor sits there flashing, but I am unable to type anything. This makes it impossible to name/rename presets, search for presets or enter exact values. Someone is consuming my keystrokes! :scared: and it's not MuLab. If the VST popup window has the focus, the spacebar will start/stop as normal. If the hosted VST window has focus, it will not. I know the keystrokes are getting stolen as I can hit Option + u and the umlaut shows, waiting for the next keystroke to put it on top of, but it never comes... :cry: I am running the MuLab 6.5.43 on Mac OS 10.10.5. Please help!
Can't answer the question at this point. I'll have a look at this when i'll focus on the OSX specific aspects.
Also, do you see VST3 support in your crystal ball yet?
No. Why do you need it? I mean: Is the VST you want to use not available as VST2?
And I forgot about the white window issue. Yup, I'm seeing it too. Will backing up to 10.9 make all these issues go away?
I don't know for i don't know the very reason of this odd prob. Same as above: I'll be focusing on the OSX specific side sooner or later within the M7.0 R&D phase, in practical words: before M7 is released. Currently focused on another M7 aspect.

Don't let me keep you from R&D. :hihi:

One plugin is VST3-only or AU, which incidentally wraps the VST3! (z3ta2). I can live without it, but I do so like many of its sounds.

It appears the white window issue is due to an older version of the Juce framework. Unfortunately, it's a half dozen plugins that exhibit the issue and I was hoping the window could be disposed on the host side. It will be a long wait for all the plugins to update... I can work around this with minimization, however.

It's the keyboard issue that's the deal killer. I haven't really seen it reported elsewhere. The fact that all my VSTs have this issue makes me think it's host side. <ducks> :ud:

Love the program, though. I've been working with it, Tracktion and Reaper to see which I prefer. (The joys of being poor... :roll: ) Tracktion has proved too buggy to use and Reaper is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. I'm still fighting with the UI and the 500-item menus...

Anyways, I will wait for 7.0 if its in the wings. And I'm happy to beta test on OSX as well. :hyper:

syntonica wrote:It appears the white window issue is due to an older version of the Juce framework. Unfortunately, it's a half dozen plugins that exhibit the issue
Hey that's interesting, where did you get this info?
And is it confirmed by the Juce team that it indeed is a Juce issue?
If there is a neat workaround around this i'm willing to implement it in an M6 update.
And I'm happy to beta test on OSX as well.
Yes please, thanks. Pls stay tuned with this forum wrt the M7 test versions.
I'm not yet sure when the first test version will come thru, i surely need many more weeks from now.
Having a first M7 test version before newyear is the hopeful challenge.

I'm not sure if the Juce issue has been officially confirmed or not, but it's what I have gleaned from searching on various forums, probably the Juce forum itself. The solution I saw was to comment out one line of code, but I don't recall if it was Mac only, or for all compile targets. Sorry I can't be now helpful. The memory is the first thing to go...

Just booted into OS 10.9.5 and all of my plug-in issues are gone, except one. The GUIs on my older Carbon-based plugins now work perfectly, VST and AU. VSTs with white pane issues close fine, although I can see the pane milliseconds before it disappears fully and properly.

The only issue I'm still seeing is with text fields on the VSTs. I'm still unable to type into then on MuLab, but they world flawlessly on other DAWs, so I do suspect the issue is on your end.

Thanks for the additional info.

One quick clue: the fields are picking up Escape and Enter, so I think maybe other keystrokes are just getting left on the floor...

I hope this is helpful. Thanks! :phones:

Just to let y'all know, I ended up getting DDFM's Metaplugin to get around my issues. Rhino and other plugs that open text fields (not in pop-up windows) now happily work.

Also, it gives me my Z3ta+2 back. I have to use the AU version as the VST3 version crashes everything. Which is ironic since the AU version from Cakewalk is just a wrapper around the VST3 version. So, VST3 -> AU -> VST2! :lol:

PS Thanks for the wonderful program. I took the plunge and purchased last night! :hug:

Thanks for sharing that. I am on Mac 10.8 and got Patchwork for AU & Z3ta but did not know until now that it also enables text fields!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”