Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

if you want a HW zebra just get into eurorack or plunk down a huge chunk of coin on a Solaris

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris-overview.html

but for Zebra 3.. someone mentioned a reverb module in the main stack.. that'd be great. i think all kinds of FX modules in there would be awesome. even if redundant it'd be fun to play with a bunch of short delays under high feedback...
but tuned.. :)

Sorry. but I'd rather have Zebra than a Solaris any day! 8)

For Zebra 3 I'd love to have the Resonator up top... per voice like that would get CPU expensive but hey :-)

dayjob wrote:Even if redundant it'd be fun to play with a bunch of short delays under high feedback...
Sounds like you're describing Zebra's Comb filters!

Howard wrote:
dayjob wrote:Even if redundant it'd be fun to play with a bunch of short delays under high feedback...
Sounds like you're describing Zebra's Comb filters!
sort of... but.. need moar/different.

Zebra is already so capable though.

edit: thinking f short delays with high feedback would go into karplus like self resonance after only being excited by a little noise pluck with short envelope instead of having the envelope control decay the feedback would.. so could stick a filter in there to dial out some feedback or whatever.. or modulate it. it just sounds different to me when the feedback is doing the thing as opposed to the envelope.

but i could be missing something obvious here that zebra may already do.

dayjob wrote:thinking f short delays with high feedback would go into karplus like self resonance after only being excited by a little noise pluck with short envelope instead of having the envelope control decay the feedback would.. so could stick a filter in there to dial out some feedback or whatever.. or modulate it. it just sounds different to me when the feedback is doing the thing as opposed to the envelope.

If I understand you correctly the comb module allready does all of this and more... I suggest you "read the fascinating manual", as the good people at u-he put it. There's a feedback parameter, you can choose between noise or saw or pulse for an impulse signal and crank up the "PreFill" level. Then there's the damp parameter for filtering of the feedback... Also the degree of feedback can offcourse be modulated by envelopes and LFOs as most other parameters in Zebra 2.

There's no adjustments for the envelope of the impulse that sets of the comb filter feedback though, just the "PreFill" controll of level while the short burst remains the same length and shape no matter what.

You may want to let the envelope that controlls the amp for the lane you have the comb module on have a longer release time then whatever controls how long the feedback takes to die away. That could offcourse be tricky in some cases though.

Gone soft wrote:
dayjob wrote:thinking f short delays with high feedback would go into karplus like self resonance after only being excited by a little noise pluck with short envelope instead of having the envelope control decay the feedback would.. so could stick a filter in there to dial out some feedback or whatever.. or modulate it. it just sounds different to me when the feedback is doing the thing as opposed to the envelope.

If I understand you correctly the comb module allready does all of this and more... I suggest you "read the fascinating manual", as the good people at u-he put it. There's a feedback parameter, you can choose between noise or saw or pulse for an impulse signal and crank up the "PreFill" level. Then there's the damp parameter for filtering of the feedback... Also the degree of feedback can offcourse be modulated by envelopes and LFOs as most other parameters in Zebra 2.

There's no adjustments for the envelope of the impulse that sets of the comb filter feedback though, just the "PreFill" controll of level while the short burst remains the same length and shape no matter what.

You may want to let the envelope that controlls the amp for the lane you have the comb module on have a longer release time then whatever controls how long the feedback takes to die away. That could offcourse be tricky in some cases though.

yes and no. it's different when trying to use a delay vs the comb filters even though we could probably split hairs over them being the same thing.. simply put.. delay time to minimum, feedback to maximum.. tiny impulse pluck = a sort of string sound that resonates and feeds back forever. then modulate the delay time to change the pitch. so, results may be similar and more or less is perhaps a different way to skin a cat but in my experience the delay being a sort of free entity in a patch allows for a lot of flexibility and weirdness. but the same thing w/o different method and different sets of parameters to control can be done w/the comb filters.

so, in some ways what i'm thinking of adds up to _less_ control but it's a good thing in some patches and has its own charm/sound.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference between a comb filter and delay in a feedback loop. I am just wondering if what puzzles you is the fact that the output of the comb filter in Zebra goes through a VCA controlled by an envelope or a gate? if so, just set the enveloppe to a release setting longer than the decay time of the comb filter and bang...

That said, I would love to see the ability to do custom feedback loops in Zebra like in the nord modular for example (sorry for always coming back to this synth, it is a milestone for me).

moscom_electronics wrote:As far as I can tell, there is no difference between a comb filter and delay in a feedback loop. I am just wondering if what puzzles you is the fact that the output of the comb filter in Zebra goes through a VCA controlled by an envelope or a gate? if so, just set the enveloppe to a release setting longer than the decay time of the comb filter and bang...
yeah. it's something i need to explore more in zebra for sure. i'm guessing it'll need to be a patch with separate VCA/Envelope for whatever is exciting the delay and then for the delay as well.

nord modular.. yeah.. me too. :) still a great environment with lot's of power. G2 ftw!

Apologies if this has already been answered but are we likely to see Zebra 3 in 2016?

RobGee wrote:Apologies if this has already been answered but are we likely to see Zebra 3 in 2016?
(praying)
Ha ha suck it!

:pray: Our Urs who art in U-he, hallowed be thy Zebra 3. Thy Synthesizer come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in U-he. Give us this day our Zebra 3 soft-synth, and forgive Urs for taking so long to release it. Lead us not into temptation to download a cracked Zebra, but deliver us from the evil limitations of all Hardware synths. Amen. :pray:

quantum7 wrote::pray: Our Urs who art in U-he, hallowed be thy Zebra 3. Thy Synthesizer come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in U-he. Give us this day our Zebra 3 soft-synth, and forgive Urs for taking so long to release it. Lead us not into temptation to download a cracked Zebra, but deliver us from the evil limitations of all Hardware synths. Amen. :pray:
:lol: Amen!
Ha ha suck it!

Yeah, I think 2016 could be it. I'll make it the top item in my new years resolutions.

Urs wrote:Yeah, I think 2016 could be it. I'll make it the top item in my new years resolutions.
Woo HOOOOOO!
Ha ha suck it!

Return to “u-he”