Are we at the point where reverb plugins have completely "peaked".

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

valhallasound wrote:
annode wrote:Like valhallasound was saying, in essence, it`s a physical barrier within the home computer.
For the Bricasti. That is pretty much the only reverb hardware out there which exceeds your average computer in CPU. Most hardware reverbs had absurdly simple CPU capabilities by modern standards.

Sean Costello
Ah, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I somehow in hast included all hardware reverbs with the Bricasti M7 you spoke about.
Last edited by annode on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Q: Are we at the point where reverb plugins have completely "peaked"

A: No

annode wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
annode wrote:Like valhallasound was saying, in essence, it`s a physical barrier within the home computer.
For the Bricasti. That is pretty much the only reverb hardware out there which exceeds your average computer in CPU. Most hardware reverbs had absurdly simple CPU capabilities by modern standards.

Sean Costello
Ah, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I somehow in hast included all hardware reverbs with the Bricasti M7 you spoke about.
Can you compare that anyway? I always read and thought that hardware gear, which needs to run software under the hood doesn't have to do all the task your home PC has to do, to be able to run the OS, services and what not, and therefor doesn't nearly need as much CPU power as a home computer. As far as i read, the Virus' DSP had a couple of hundred MHz or something.

Well, I just purchased Valhalla Plate and it sounds gorgeous... so for me the answer is no 8)

I doubt they have peaked because supply/demand dictates it. Everybody still looking for the next new plug. Human nature. If I was a developer of reverb plugs I'd still be tinkering away trying to find some new angle or niche for next year's model.

I think they have probably reached a level that is adequate for 95% of users and 99.9% of listeners.

The same can be said for EQs and comps. Thousands of them but a new one every week.

The limiting factor for success is now creativity and knowing how to use all these ridiculously great tools we all have access to.

I think many of them do have a different Character.I got sounds on lxp that
I couldn't get with pcm.I'm not clear on the difference between NI rc 24 and rc 48.

Like someone mentioned, theres always room for better stuff...but, I am completely happy with what I got now. PCM, Relab, Valhalla...20 or 30 years ago, you could have only dreamed about it...we are spoiled today and dont appreciate little things anymore.

You know what has peaked these peaking threads

I find that VST reverbs are still a little bit behind the curve of hardware VST's for the simple reason that most of them don't offer non-linear reverbs. Also there are some good reverb gems that are unfortunately locked inside of VSTi synths as the built-in FX.

But other than that, impulse reverbs and their players keep getting better all the time. And for general purpose reverb, if you find a good one, usually that's all you need. I still get really good effects from Freeverb2 after all these years and it's already vaporware.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Heartfeltdawn wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:No, we're still a long way away imo. There's reverbs in some of my dads cheap guitar pedals that sound better than anything I've heard itb. Some of the old cheap Alesis boxes sound better than most itb verbs. So, my answer is no - still a long way to go - just like with analog synth emu's.
What pedals are we talking here?

yeah right. We have world class reverbs on our DAW's and even 1:1 ports of lexicon hardware (480 and PCM 96).

So far there is only one reverb in existence that apparently can't be coded natively and that's the bricasti. (well until nebula get a unit and spend months capturing it exactly).

The UAD emulations I have are perfect, every single one of them. 224 is outstanding, EMT sounds like real thing, and so on.

anyway actually back on topic, it seems plugin reverbs HAVE peaked, for the last 5 years at least IMO. There are products released 5+years ago that are as good as anything on the market today. So until we get then, what, at least 4x as powerful cpu's PER core as we have now, we have indeed peaked IMO.

bill45 wrote:I think many of them do have a different Character.I got sounds on lxp that
I couldn't get with pcm.I'm not clear on the difference between NI rc 24 and rc 48.

rc24 and 48 sound completely different. The 24 is much more noticeable/rich.

nevertheless they are just approximations more than anything, where as relab sounds like a real 480 and uad sounds like a real 224.. softube are just "based on" kind of things. Nice reverbs though, don't get me wrong.

edit: just noticed the pcm vs lxp comment. I will tell you that besides the lxp room algorithm, what you are saying is actually digitally impossible. Anything on the LXP hall/plate/chamber can be reproduced 1:1 with pcm plugins.

TheoM wrote:
Heartfeltdawn wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:No, we're still a long way away imo. There's reverbs in some of my dads cheap guitar pedals that sound better than anything I've heard itb. Some of the old cheap Alesis boxes sound better than most itb verbs. So, my answer is no - still a long way to go - just like with analog synth emu's.

yeah right. We have world class reverbs on our DAW's and even 1:1 ports of lexicon hardware (480 and PCM 96).

So far there is only one reverb in existence that apparently can't be coded natively and that's the bricasti. (well until nebula get a unit and spend months capturing it exactly).

The UAD emulations I have are perfect, every single one of them. 224 is outstanding, EMT sounds like real thing, and so on.

anyway actually back on topic, it seems plugin reverbs HAVE peaked, for the last 5 years at least IMO. There are products released 5+years ago that are as good as anything on the market today. So until we get then, what, at least 4x as powerful cpu's PER core as we have now, we have indeed peaked IMO.
While we DO have excellent reverbs itb - there's still that 'thing' that also afflicts the latest, greatest synth emus - something 'missing' that one can't put ones finger on. I hear a depth in a lot of hardware verbs that I just never experience from itb.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

TheoM wrote: anyway actually back on topic, it seems plugin reverbs HAVE peaked, for the last 5 years at least IMO. There are products released 5+years ago that are as good as anything on the market today. So until we get then, what, at least 4x as powerful cpu's PER core as we have now, we have indeed peaked IMO.
Nope. What you are implying is that with the current technological limitations, no plugin can be made "better", that they cannot be of higher quality. Maybe you should elaborate what you mean by quality. There's more to the code than just what you hear and personally define as good. Otherwise the whole topic is moot, we are always at the current peak of development, right?
Mushy Mushy wrote:The answer to this has to be a categorical no.
Otherwise we're implying computer and coding technology will never improve.

subterfuge wrote:
TheoM wrote: anyway actually back on topic, it seems plugin reverbs HAVE peaked, for the last 5 years at least IMO. There are products released 5+years ago that are as good as anything on the market today. So until we get then, what, at least 4x as powerful cpu's PER core as we have now, we have indeed peaked IMO.
Nope. What you are implying is that with the current technological limitations, no plugin can be made "better", that they cannot be of higher quality. Maybe you should elaborate what you mean by quality. There's more to the code than just what you hear and personally define as good. Otherwise the whole topic is moot, we are always at the current peak of development, right?
Mushy Mushy wrote:The answer to this has to be a categorical no.
Otherwise we're implying computer and coding technology will never improve.

well i guess what's in my brain waves is not allowing me to articulate it properly as I HAVE tried but obviously am failing .Sorry :oops:

All i can say is that most think no and i think yes, so that's where we are at lol :shrug:

TheoM wrote:
Heartfeltdawn wrote:

Well, you wanted a discussion on other people's thoughts on the matter and, once again, you get all attitude when you get answers that don't gel with your own.
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Effects”