Toughts on Maxxbass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking about playing with these different takes...

Fielding is rarely mentioned and has been out for a long while. You can adjust the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics.
https://www.fieldingdsp.com/reviver

No demo for this, seems you can be subtle to a bit wild. Joey Sturgis Sub Destroyer
http://joeysturgistones.com/products/sub-destroyer

AKJ wrote:actually there was a voxengo plugin which was capable of a similar thing (and actually more): Transmodder, a transient-driven filter with 5 bands, so one could generate up to 5 "harmonics" generateds from transients of bass frequencies. look here: http://www.voxengo.com/product/tmodder/

unfortunately, it was discontinued.

i can't see the similarities.. I just read the description of that plugin and all it tells me is that it is a multiband transient controller, like say izotope alloy 2 transient designer. Totally different thing to maxx bass.

I am finding in this topic that (and this is not meant in any way to be an insult ok?) quite a few posters are misunderstanding what maxx bass is all about.

Selfik wrote:Interesting how after so many years nobody figured out how to exactly replicate what maxxbass/renbass really does. Must be some clever tehnique/trick used...
there have been quite a few competitors do "their take" of bass enhancement without actually infringing on patents. I haven't used it, but from the description, the uad precision khz actually sounds like it IS ripping off the waves.. will have to give that a try tonight.. anyway bass beefers that work differently but all have their own appeal are voxengo lf max punch, ssl duende drum strip, PSP mix bass, and there are also things like BBE (the harmonic generator one, forget the name). There are definitely others on win that aren't on mac also.

TheoM wrote:
Selfik wrote:Interesting how after so many years nobody figured out how to exactly replicate what maxxbass/renbass really does. Must be some clever tehnique/trick used...
there have been quite a few competitors do "their take" of bass enhancement without actually infringing on patents. I haven't used it, but from the description, the uad precision khz actually sounds like it IS ripping off the waves.. will have to give that a try tonight.. anyway bass beefers that work differently but all have their own appeal are voxengo lf max punch, ssl duende drum strip, PSP mix bass, and there are also things like BBE (the harmonic generator one, forget the name). There are definitely others on win that aren't on mac also.

I think you may mean the uad precision Hz, as that does low end, the khz, does something in the high end... don't quite remember.
I have Precision HZ, but still keep coming back to Maxxbass.
rsp
sound sculptist

@TheoM

no, Transmodder is a transsient driven filter, thus a completely different animal than a transient designer (as the transients are not modified but just trigger filters). It's like a multi band (multi instance) side chain dynamic eq in one plugin. There are several band specific transient analyzers which can trigger filters. so if you set a transient analyzer to the bass frequency range that you want to attenuate you can define up to 5 frequency bands which can be boosted dynamically in reaction to that. And if you set these bands to the harmonics of the analyzed band you have pretty much a similar (not equal) thing as MaxxBass. However, Transmodder is a very complex tool (much more versatile than MaxxBass) and a bit hard to understand.

Quotes from the description:
The core element of Transmodder VST plugin is the transient analyzer which processes narrow- or broad-band signals and detects all rising-level transients ...
In the course of detection, the transient analyzer generates an envelope signal which replicates the transient structure of the signal being analyzed.
Transmodder features five dynamic filters. Each can be controlled by envelope signals generated by up to two transient analyzers.

TheoM wrote:I am finding in this topic that (and this is not meant in any way to be an insult ok?) quite a few posters are misunderstanding what maxx bass is all about.
And, as ever, you take it as an opportunity to parade your superiority.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

zvenx wrote:
TheoM wrote:

I think you may mean the uad precision Hz, as that does low end, the khz, does something in the high end... don't quite remember.
I have Precision HZ, but still keep coming back to Maxxbass.
rsp

yep, that was auto correct for you. I definitely typed hz. It's ok it changed "order" to "ahoy" before too :lol:

AKJ wrote:@TheoM

no, Transmodder is a transsient driven filter, thus a completely different animal than a transient designer (as the transients are not modified but just trigger filters). It's like a multi band (multi instance) side chain dynamic eq in one plugin. There are several band specific transient analyzers which can trigger filters. so if you set a transient analyzer to the bass frequency range that you want to attenuate you can define up to 5 frequency bands which can be boosted dynamically in reaction to that. And if you set these bands to the harmonics of the analyzed band you have pretty much a similar (not equal) thing as MaxxBass. However, Transmodder is a very complex tool (much more versatile than MaxxBass) and a bit hard to understand.

Quotes from the description:
The core element of Transmodder VST plugin is the transient analyzer which processes narrow- or broad-band signals and detects all rising-level transients ...
In the course of detection, the transient analyzer generates an envelope signal which replicates the transient structure of the signal being analyzed.
Transmodder features five dynamic filters. Each can be controlled by envelope signals generated by up to two transient analyzers.
no, i disagree.. it does not replace maxx bass at all.

Who said Transmodder replaces MaxxBass? For me, btw, it makes much more sense the other way round: MaxxBass could never replace Transmodder, since MaxxBass is a one trick pony, but Transmodder is a very flexible and complex tool (no idea why Voxengo discontinued it). And I dare to claim that you are guilty of what you accuse others: to talk about plugins the concept of which one does not fully understand. Because just a few posts above you took Transmodder falsely for a transient designer, and now you know exactly what it is capable of and what not.

V0rtex wrote:[...]my root note of synth that producing sine wave[...]
A sine wave has no harmonics. If you need higher harmonics to hear the sound on smaller speakers, try using something richer, for example a triangle wave. You can even use a square or a pulse and filter them heavily.
I suppose it's easier to hear the bass when there's something more than a sinewave going on.

And about parallel distortion: have you tried putting a lowpass filter after it? So you can distort a lot and get a thick low end, while keeping the sound away from midrange and treeble. Or you can use a multiband distortion for even more control.
I think Audio Damage distortions are great on parallel chains; I suggest trying FuzzPlus 3 on a parallel chain, going quite heavy with the settings and then slowly bringin in the parallel chain in the mix (only an advice: be carefull, because it's easy to overdo).

AKJ wrote:Who said Transmodder replaces MaxxBass? For me, btw, it makes much more sense the other way round: MaxxBass could never replace Transmodder, since MaxxBass is a one trick pony, but Transmodder is a very flexible and complex tool (no idea why Voxengo discontinued it). And I dare to claim that you are guilty of what you accuse others: to talk about plugins the concept of which one does not fully understand. Because just a few posts above you took Transmodder falsely for a transient designer, and now you know exactly what it is capable of and what not.
i took transmodder as a transient designer because there is no way to test it, and secondly it's called "transient modifier" and thirdly, that's what voxengo's description leads towards.

It doesn;t make sense the other way around at all because neither can do what the other does.

Please find me info where transmodder says it creates upper harmonics for the illusion of extra bass.

prove it with a video vs maxx bass then :shrug:

oh and as far as who said it replaces maxx bass, you did when you said there was a voxengo plugin capable of the same thing and more. That to me clearly says that maxxbass is not needed if one has transmodder, according to you.

here we go,Aleksey's own words:

"Transmodder could also be called a transient modification system."

sure, that sounds like maxx bass to me.

I said similar not same. It is similar because you do not synthesize harmonics but dynamically boost existing harmonic frequencies (following the envelope of the defined bass frequency range). You thus would apply it rather on the master bus than on a bass track. There is even a preset for this in Transmodder called "Dimensional Bass". Look the screenshot here (tuned to bass signals around 100 Hz):

However, I believe you do not want to understand what I am saying.

Aleksey can you please make this available again?
Got some nice results with it...

Return to “Effects”