How do I get used to monitors

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there, I've been struggling to get used to KRK 5 G3 monitors for like 2 months or so. I have tried to listen to many songs, recreate songs and making my own beats. And i have perfect triangle and still..
Can it be because of my room? Like i know you get used to the room after a while but could it be because of my room is too small?

Here is picture of my room.
http://postimg.org/image/x7dqecfeh/

Any response would help, and thank you and have a good day! :>

A couple of weeks is normal to get familiar with new monitors,2 months seems a bit long to get accustomed to new monitors

What are you struggling with bass,mids or highs & what were you using before the KRK?

Did you do the room acoustic clap test ?

You need to move your setup to the middle of a short wall, having it in the corner of a long wall generally isn't a good idea.

d-s-m wrote:You need to move your setup to the middle of a short wall, having it in the corner of a long wall generally isn't a good idea.
...or at least move it to the middle of the long wall, you need symmetry. Agreed, 2 months is too long really. Struggling to fully understand what you mean by get used to? :?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ere2learn wrote:A couple of weeks is normal to get familiar with new monitors,2 months seems a bit long to get accustomed to new monitors

What are you struggling with bass,mids or highs & what were you using before the KRK?

Did you do the room acoustic clap test ?
Im strugling mids, bass and i just used some crappy headphones before.
And yeah i did clap test and there is echo.

ramseysounds wrote:
d-s-m wrote:You need to move your setup to the middle of a short wall, having it in the corner of a long wall generally isn't a good idea.
...or at least move it to the middle of the long wall, you need symmetry. Agreed, 2 months is too long really. Struggling to fully understand what you mean by get used to? :?
Im like, struggling to make a good sounding mix. When i listen with KRK then some things are quiet, then i boost those elements 20% then they sound good (on krk's) but too loud on other things like headphones, and car etc.

So you're saying your mixes aren't what you expect?

How long have you been making music for?

Also, Rokit's aren't particularly good monitors and they're in totally the wrong place in the room (as has been said).

I would swap the position of your bed with your set-up position (and centre it on that wall) - always better for speakers to 'throw' down the longer length of a room. Make sure the speakers are at least 12" away from the wall - more if you can but that's a pretty small room so understandable if it's not possible. If you don't have any room treatment then consider getting some. A bass trap in each corner behind your set-up will work wonders and some decent spot treatment at reflection points either side of you will allow you to hear pan positions much better. I think room treatment is more important than what monitors you use - it makes a bigger difference.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I think room treatment is more important than what monitors you use - it makes a bigger difference.
But it helps if monitors have proper adjustments too.
a) general cut - 1 or 2 dB for about 300 hz and below.
Helps adjusting to how close to wall they are etc.

Sometimes it helps to plug the port, if having such, it will drop lows if too much of those.
It even matter plug port partially at half, or third length.

b) general cut/boost +/- 1 and 2 dB at 100 hz shelving somewhere
c) general cut/boost +/- 1 or 2 dB of mids(2k or so)
d) general level of tweeters to balance with woofer are good

Place on separate stands, or use thicker acoustic foam to place them on, not to get too much resonance form table/desk.

But even if monitors are all good and properly set up - a listen in phones is necessary since it's perceived so differently. But invest in a better set of phones too, maybe.

lfm wrote: But it helps if monitors have proper adjustments too.
How do you mean? Eq'ing within the DAW? If so, not recommended at all - you'll only be adjusting for that one tiny place your head happens to be at whilst making the adjustment. Room eq'ing is an absolute last resort for very problematic spaces.
lfm wrote:Sometimes it helps to plug the port, if having such, it will drop lows if too much of those.
Again, I really wouldn't recommend this. If an expensive monitor is designed with ports I'm not going to second guess the designer.
lfm wrote:Place on separate stands, or use thicker acoustic foam to place them on, not to get too much resonance form table/desk.
Stands are absolutely essential in my book. Monitors on a desk - unless the desk is made of a very dense, heavy material - just sound absolutely awful. You'll get very muddy sounding low end where it's near impossible to make critical judgements.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

tehlord wrote:So you're saying your mixes aren't what you expect?

How long have you been making music for?

Also, Rokit's aren't particularly good monitors and they're in totally the wrong place in the room (as has been said).
Yes, my mixes doesn't sound good.
And i have been producing for 2 years
Maybe rokit's arents good monitors, they are the first ones i bought

do_androids_dream wrote:I would swap the position of your bed with your set-up position (and centre it on that wall) - always better for speakers to 'throw' down the longer length of a room. Make sure the speakers are at least 12" away from the wall - more if you can but that's a pretty small room so understandable if it's not possible. If you don't have any room treatment then consider getting some. A bass trap in each corner behind your set-up will work wonders and some decent spot treatment at reflection points either side of you will allow you to hear pan positions much better. I think room treatment is more important than what monitors you use - it makes a bigger difference.
I will try to see what i can do here, it's just because my bed will be in the place where you open doors, and i don't like it since i can see everything that is going on outside of my room and if it's night time, then when doors get open i will get light in my eyes. But will try to do somethings, thanks!

lfm wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:I think room treatment is more important than what monitors you use - it makes a bigger difference.
But it helps if monitors have proper adjustments too.

Sometimes it helps to plug the port, if having such, it will drop lows if too much of those.

b) general cut/boost +/- 1 and 2 dB at 100 hz shelving somewhere
c) general cut/boost +/- 1 or 2 dB of mids(2k or so)
d) general level of tweeters to balance with woofer are good

Place on separate stands, or use thicker acoustic foam to place them on, not to get too much resonance form table/desk.

But even if monitors are all good and properly set up - a listen in phones is necessary since it's perceived so differently. But invest in a better set of phones too, maybe.
What do you mean by cutting/boosting, in eq or behind the monitors (those knobs). If you mean mastering then i don't think that's and issue.

do_androids_dream wrote:
lfm wrote: But it helps if monitors have proper adjustments too.
How do you mean? Eq'ing within the DAW? If so, not recommended at all - you'll only be adjusting for that one tiny place your head happens to be at whilst making the adjustment. Room eq'ing is an absolute last resort for very problematic spaces.
All my lettered paragraphs were about adjustments on the monitors themselves.

As I recall, Adam A7X, Mackie HR824 and Focal CMS 65 are among those having this kind of adjustment.
Dynaudio BM5, Neumann KH120 and KRK VXT 6 not.

So common to be able to adjust to distance from wall, but not all have it.
lfm wrote:Sometimes it helps to plug the port, if having such, it will drop lows if too much of those.
Again, I really wouldn't recommend this. If an expensive monitor is designed with ports I'm not going to second guess the designer.
It's about adjusting to room - nothing wrong with design.

I've seen many comments about plugging ports, and I tried it myself with very good result. I was able to balance out the resonance from desk under monitors.

Ports are basically like a flute tube, that boost a certain frequency, often lows.
Like when you move the length of the flute by an insert, you move resonance frequency.

So whatever works making monitors translate well in that room - is good.
Best if designers made options for you - but you have to do that before purchase.

But anybody is free to spend $1000's on room treatment alone if they want.
Or you can improvise a little and a little of everything.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the blinding obvious so far -

Get some monitor stands!!

Decouples your monitors from the desk/floor and generally makes them sound tighter all round. Even if you have them currently sat on a foam pad, a proper stand is better.

Also,

Looking at your image, it looks like you have your monitors either side of a standard sized PC screen - if so, that's far too close together. If you had your monitors on stands either side of your desk, that's probably a much better width apart.

Also, and another really obvious point, if you've never had monitors before, and you've been mixing on headphones until now - I think you need to be patient. You can't go from headphones to monitors and expect great mixes in 2 months. That takes years to learn. You've only been producing two years, I know people who have been at the game 10 years who are still learning to mix.

Patience, yung grasshoppa.

Return to “Production Techniques”