I survived the Black Friday GAS attack!! But the force is strong and the mind is weak

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am going to stay in my bunker.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

(double post)
Last edited by cron on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Picked up Valhalla Vintage Verb here. Been meaning to buy it for ages. I was looking at a ton of deeply discounted stuff and trying to weigh up how much I really wanted them vs the inherent temptation that comes with anything on sale. Had I actually wanted them in the past? VVV just wouldn't get out of my head while I was trying to look at other things. It was still the best deal by a long shot. So yeah, thank you Black Friday for spurring me into action, and ValhallaDSP for offering unbeatable value to begin with.

Also picked up Obscurium after seeing it could host plug-ins itself. Look forward to using it as a pure step-sequencer for external plugs. That was the only other thing I really wanted (although Black Friday brought me through the door), so it seemed a good time to buy.

TBH, with a load of the Black Friday stuff I just thought "that's your normal price - when you haven't grossly inflated it to offer the illusion you're blowing it out for about 8 weeks spread across the year."

pheeleep wrote:
pheeleep wrote:Not safe! I survived Black Friday but got pulled into Blacker Saturday!!!! Help!!!!!!
I am still under $100 overall so not bad at all. I have had $600+ Black Friday/Blacker Saturday's in the past years. My goal is to not go over $100 this year. I did pass on a ton of stuff this year that I was tempted by and I am proud of myself overall!
Man thanks for letting me feel better about my measly 300$ spending ;) I honestly feel a lot better about it now :tu: Must spend more next year :hihi:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

BedroomProducersBlog.com kept me happy with the free stuff...

- Klevgränd Produktion Vandelay
- SoundMorph DR01D SFX Generator
- Soundtoys LittleAlterboy
- Perimeter Sound Arts FeldsparFX-SE VST Plugin
- Waves Audio TrueVerb
- Drumtrax-From-Mars

Really, really wanted to buy these... and almost did, so many times...

- kiloHearts Multipass at the intro price of $199. I can do all this, and more, with Bitwig and the plugins I already have. Multipass just does it more elegantly. Another negative is snapins only... If it loaded other plugins, it would be a no brainer.
- Joachim Garraud Producer's Box on Kickstarter, but I missed being one of the first 100 backers, so $599 instead of $499, and no Vintage Vault... :(
- SynthMaster at 50% off
- Wave Alchemy Pro II at 50% off
- Livid Base II for $250
- Meeblip Anode for $109
- Toontrack EZkeys Retro Electrics Virtual Electric Pianos Collection for $30
- GForce Software Oddity 2 for $129
- Behringer X-Touch for $59

Couldn't resist these...

- Native Instruments Jay-Bass, (so I could "slap-a the bass"), 50% off, $34.50
- D16 Drumazon, (Drum machines make me happy), 75% off for Bitwig owners, $31.25
- GRM Tools Complete II, (Freeze and Spaces are amazingly intuitive, and the rest mangle audio in the cleanest way possible), 60% off, $279.00

So I spent a little less than $350, after selling over $200 in plugins on the kvr marketplace.

$150 isn't too bad, right?

No it's not too bad Mikebenson. Nothing is really ;-) . As long as your children are fed! (sugar bytes is not a meal by the way )
Almost 150$ (canadian) For me too. And it was already planed this way. Just filling holes in my mixing needs!
-Hornet Multicomp Plus 24$ (60% off)
-Sknote: Console Strip V2, Console Strip V3, Fooler: 29.99$ (3 for 1)
-Kazrog Recabinet 4 : 25$ (75% off)
-SPL Ranger EQs 9$
-MJUC...waiting to see if there will be a sale on cyber monday if not buying anyway 24 euros.

Soundtoys and Waves freebies ( Waves central was already installed but it is a PITA I agree)
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Another obstacle for me: Sonic Academy KICK at 40% off. :help:

trimph1 wrote:I am going to stay in my bunker.
Good call.

The devil almost convinced me to get the soundtoys when I clearly know I don't need it. Heck they weren't even in my GAS radar until the freebie. But I didn't bite, and I'm so proud of myself for it.

However, I did cheat, by getting an RME 9652 card used. I would have done that even without BF so I guess that shouldn't count. So far so good. 2 freebies in. 0 bought.

All the GAS survivors - Keep us posted of your battles so your brethen may be inspired to stay strong! :harp:

cron wrote:Picked up Valhalla Vintage Verb here. Been meaning to buy it for ages. I was looking at a ton of deeply discounted stuff and trying to weigh up how much I really wanted them vs the inherent temptation that comes with anything on sale. Had I actually wanted them in the past? VVV just wouldn't get out of my head while I was trying to look at other things. It was still the best deal by a long shot. So yeah, thank you Black Friday for spurring me into action, and ValhallaDSP for offering unbeatable value to begin with.
I'm such a cheapo I [blasphemy] IR'd Valhalla Plate demo [/blasphemy] and I'm loving it. It's been my go to verb. I'll get it in the near future once I make up my mind on which of the Valhalla verbs I want to buy.

Now, back to talking about the stuff we don't intend on buying. :hihi:

keyman_sam wrote:
cron wrote:Picked up Valhalla Vintage Verb here. Been meaning to buy it for ages. I was looking at a ton of deeply discounted stuff and trying to weigh up how much I really wanted them vs the inherent temptation that comes with anything on sale. Had I actually wanted them in the past? VVV just wouldn't get out of my head while I was trying to look at other things. It was still the best deal by a long shot. So yeah, thank you Black Friday for spurring me into action, and ValhallaDSP for offering unbeatable value to begin with.
I'm such a cheapo I [blasphemy] IR'd Valhalla Plate demo [/blasphemy] and I'm loving it. It's been my go to verb. I'll get it in the near future once I make up my mind on which of the Valhalla verbs I want to buy.

Now, back to talking about the stuff we don't intend on buying. :hihi:
I've had Room for a fair while, but I'd wanted VVV for ages. I remember agonising over which to buy at the time and settled on Room. It's an amazing mixing tool (and more), but I found I couldn't quite push it into the mega-lush SFX territory that I knew VVV had on tap. I actually ended up buying VVV as a birthday present for someone earlier this year, so I've kind of bought it twice now! Plate will be acquired soon I've no doubt. :)

I asked myself, How much TIME do I have this year to master and deeply enjoy more tools? Whoa! That question eliminated a lot, and helped me choose only two $40 tools for my current project.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

incubus wrote:Allow me to be a swallow of peptol bismol. I've owned the soundtoys bundle and though it's great, the one that that nobody has (pardon the pun) replicated is "echoboy"

You'll have fun constantly tweaking and playing the presets with all the others but you'll just be in the "fartsaroundlist" category. Echoboy is unique though. Nothing sounds like it. Nothing is as organic, rich, or useful. It's not financially feasible to buy the bundle just for echoboy when 95% of native owners really only use that regularly.

Just 2c, probably worth a wooden nickel but that's what happened to me.
The thing is, at the current sales price, it's worth it for the bundle as you're sure to find use for a couple of others.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I caved and bought Glitchmachines Quadrant and Cataract. Have had a total blast with them this evening. Only £40 or so. :)

thecontrolcentre wrote:I caved and bought Glitchmachines Quadrant and Cataract. Have had a total blast with them this evening. Only £40 or so. :)
The Glitchmachines stuff was my other temptation. I own Cataract and Polygon, though tbh I haven't looked at Cataract since the somewhat crashy (for me) version 1.0. Ought to update and give it another whirl. Polygon is incredible though, one of the best FX samplers out there. Wish it was polyphonic, but I totally appreciate GM's stance on scope/feature creep as it was always intended for spot FX. And hey, using things in the way they weren't intended to be used is the foundation of the glitch mindset anyway. :)

Cryogen was seriously tempting mind. I might grab that at a later date once I've played more with the stuff I did pick up. Wish they had demos of this stuff available. The demo tracks they post are seriously accomplished sounding tracks, among the slickest I've ever heard, but I'd love them to be a bit more... demonstrative. If you presented me with the unlabelled demo tracks for everything there (except Quadrant) I wouldn't know which track was demonstrating which plug, despite having a reasonably firm idea of how they all work. It's difficult to hear what they're doing through the sonic madness.

cron wrote:It's difficult to hear what they're doing through the sonic madness.
I know what you mean. :hihi:

Quadrant seems to be the exception. It sounds great on drum loops and atmospheres. Not as wacky as some of their other effects. I'm liking it a lot. Cataract will take longer to figure out. Need to try it with my own loops and sounds. With these, and the Klevgrand FX I got last week, my FSU needs are taken care of for a while.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”