omg! Kaivo (Madrona Labs)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just had to express how blown away I am by the demo. I know I've heard that a lot of folks prefer Aalto but I don't think I've been so excited about a synth before in terms of complex interesting results like this. Just had to say.

Can wait to understand it more...

Anyone else like this thing?

It's an absolutely wonderful synth. Been meaning to get into making my own sound sources for ages, but the ones that come with it are just so good. Gonna get some vocal madness going at some point though. Thinking about singing a load of vowels (or synchronised words) and multichannelling them up for use in Kaivo. The rabbit hole grows and grows...

May I also recommend that you read the manual (if you haven't already). I've read a fair few manuals in my time, and IMO Kaivo has the single finest manual I've ever read. I even recommend it to people who don't own the synth because there's a ton of interesting stuff about aesthetics and ways of thinking about sound in there that you can apply pretty much anywhere.

Yep Kaivo and Aalto manuals are fantastic, masterclasses in sound design.

cron wrote:May I also recommend that you read the manual (if you haven't already). I've read a fair few manuals in my time, and IMO Kaivo has the single finest manual I've ever read. I even recommend it to people who don't own the synth because there's a ton of interesting stuff about aesthetics and ways of thinking about sound in there that you can apply pretty much anywhere.
Heh, heh...nice of you to mention this cron, because speaking as someone who is quite the "manual geek" I appreciate your friendly advice and will give it a read at some point. Heck, I have wanted Madrona Labs synths anyhow...Randy is a pretty unique developer I think...well ain't he? :hihi:

Besides being a good and unique developer Randy is one of the best guys around.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

I'm hoping and waiting for a sale so I can grab all 3 (Kaivo, Aalto and Virta)...

:borg:

Their synths sound great but I just could never get into those interfaces. Like something out of a grade B sci fi movie.

wagtunes wrote:Their synths sound great but I just could never get into those interfaces. Like something out of a grade B sci fi movie.
..but that's the best kind of sci-fi movie!

Ridan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Their synths sound great but I just could never get into those interfaces. Like something out of a grade B sci fi movie.
..but that's the best kind of sci-fi movie!
When you're drunk, high or have nothing better to do and just need a good laugh.

Love Aalto, couldn't get into Kaivo. I forget now why not. Maybe it just seemed too tied to a very specific sonic character.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Love Aalto, couldn't get into Kaivo. I forget now why not. Maybe it just seemed too tied to a very specific sonic character.
I spent about 3 hours making sounds with Kaivo and I didn't get any results that I was particularly pleased with.

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Love Aalto, couldn't get into Kaivo. I forget now why not. Maybe it just seemed too tied to a very specific sonic character.
I spent about 3 hours making sounds with Kaivo and I didn't get any results that I was particularly pleased with.
That's quite unusual from you! :?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

pdxindy wrote:
Yeah, that seems about right. Maybe I just never got the hang of it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

pdxindy wrote:
I haven't even gotten that far! Just using the presets and doing slight tweaks! It was the inverse for me, couldn't get anything I liked from Aalto, but didn't peruse each and every preset. I only have the free version of Aalto and demo for Kaivo.

And, I also love the interface a lot...

Return to “Instruments”