Which $50 compressor is as good as slate, hofa, fabfilter etc

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so many ideas in this thread.

thanks everybody

kev :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:so many ideas in this thread.

thanks everybody

kev :)
Let us know what you go for after all the demoing! :)

Novalis wrote:The Waves H-Comp is still on sale atm for 49$, so would fit the price requirement perfectly :)

Oh, and it's a great compressor.
H-Comp was still at 49$ today and with the additional 30$ Cyber Monday voucher i got it for 19$ (!!).

Last week i got Waves H-Delay for 49$ (i already love it...) and also the free True Verb Giveaway. I would have paid more if i waited until today and use the automatic 30% for the second plugin as H-Delay is 30$ more expensive today...

UPDATE:
I just started to compare Waves H-Comp to Ableton The Glue (in Live 9) with my Ensoniq ESQ-1 as a sound source. Maybe i am doing something wrong but for getting a fat bass sound using H-Comp seems to be much better than what i get from Ableton Glue.
The coolest features in H-Comp seem to be the Analog modes and the Dry/Wet knob which make it different to many other Compressors, especially vintage ones. With analog mode "Off" it sounds more "clean".

Will now further compare to Stillwell Bombardier and The Rocket. In a first comparison H-Comp looks/sounds very good compared to Bombardier.

ImNotDedYet wrote:Anything Klanghelm or Stillwell.
From Klanghelm i only used the free IVGI Saturation FX which is nice.

So far i do not have really many Compressors but besides "The Glue" from Ableton Live 9 i got Stillwell Bombardier and Stillwell The Rocket.
With Waves H-Comp added now at the moment i do not really feel i need another Compressor soon.

Also with Delays, Reverbs and EQs while i do not own many of them i am also covered for a while.
I am not really a FX plugins "collector" like many others.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

thecontrolcentre wrote:
TheoM wrote:
shroom81 wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:
vata44 wrote:IMO the Klanhelm plugins are terrible...
Blasphemy! :o
That certainly deserves the death penalty :x

well it's all in the ear of the beholder. I didn't like DC8C or SDRR at all. I might LOVE MJUC and agree with the rest of KVR on that one but will never know unless I get to try it at a friend's who owns it some day.
You could try out the free MJUC Jr to get an idea ...

I finally tried the JR, what an awful compressor. It just adds clicks to everything i try it on. Awful on bass, drums and guitar. Didn't try it on vocals.

I have a guitar part here that is constant with one fast note peak 5db louder than the rest of the performance, MJUC JR will not react to the peak on any setting and by the time i have dialed the left drive knob to begin ANY needle movement, it actually let's the peak part through more and clips. No thanks.

Is the big brother you have all been raving about for months any better?

It's a bit more than $50, but the Sonalksis compressor is one of the best and easiest to use that I have come across. It sounds like it's actually compressing, and there are a bunch of very tasty features included.

http://www.sonalksis.com/sv315.htm?buy=325

Klanghelm MJUC!

TheoM wrote:..all been raving about for months..
I do wonder if these plugins would get the same attention if they were priced quite a bit higher. I've tried all the freebies but none of them make me want to investigate further unfortunately. Both free comps seemed unable to really 'control' anything I tried them on and IVGI just sounds like a run of the mill distortion plugin - even at very low levels of saturation it just sounds harsh to me. It worked quite nicely as an exciter for synths though.

Suggestions from me would be Sinusweb's Peak Compressor - $25 and really very good indeed at transparent compression.

http://www.sinusweb.de/peak.html
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
I do wonder if these plugins would get the same attention if they were priced quite a bit higher. I've tried all the freebies but none of them make me want to investigate further unfortunately. Both free comps seemed unable to really 'control' anything I tried them on and IVGI just sounds like a run of the mill distortion plugin - even at very low levels of saturation it just sounds harsh to me. It worked quite nicely as an exciter for synths though.

Suggestions from me would be Sinusweb's Peak Compressor - $25 and really very good indeed at transparent compression.

Honestly MJUC is amazing. I tried MJUC jr but couldn't get anything out of it so I picked up MJUC and haven't regretted it. I picked up the bx_opto right before MJUC and actually sold the Opto recently because I never use it anymore. It's quite good and I'm not a fanboy.

ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Honestly MJUC is amazing. I tried MJUC jr but couldn't get anything out of it so I picked up MJUC and haven't regretted it. I picked up the bx_opto right before MJUC and actually sold the Opto recently because I never use it anymore. It's quite good and I'm not a fanboy.
Interesting.. because as I too 'couldn't get anything out of it' either really - which is a reason for me NOT to investigate any further. I've just been listening to demos over at Klanghelm (as I have done before) and they just sound really not so good at all to me. Those first 3 drum examples just sound really 'flappy' and poppy/clicky on the transient - exactly what I hate and a sound I associate with some pretty horrible comps (Reacomp for example).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Interesting.. because as I too 'couldn't get anything out of it' either really - which is a reason for me NOT to investigate any further. I've just been listening to demos over at Klanghelm (as I have done before) and they just sound really not so good at all to me. Those first 3 drum examples just sound really 'flappy' and poppy/clicky on the transient - exactly what I hate and a sound I associate with some pretty horrible comps (Reacomp for example).
To each their own I guess. What compressors do you use?

do_androids_dream wrote:

Mate like it came out of my own brain. spot on buddy. Oh I used to use all the sinus web plugs when I was on win. They were true bargain buys.

I agree about ivgi for me it just farted a lot. Look this happens to me all the time I must admit.. There are a few brands that are consistently very cheap that get raved about like crazy, have fifty page discussions, I buy them, don't like them (at least one of those brands recently added demos). I'm not naming names but honestly one of them has the worst emus I've heard. I think it's a placebo dollar thing too actually you're right.

ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Hence the need for a demo or refund policy. You love mjuc yet agree you couldn't get results with the stripped down "demo" freebie. But how can someone really know? I mean shouldn't we be able to give a judgement based on the freebie? That's what it's there for.

Try slyfi deflector. That's the best compressor plugin I heard in years for me personally. Nothing like it on uad either. I've been rocking the demo all week blown away. I can dial it in anyway I like and get results.

do_androids_dream wrote:
ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

That's how I was able to pick the slate 1176 from the hardware in the gearslutz blind test. I could hear the clicks. Most failed the test though so maybe you and I are just too used to the good hardware where we can click or not click but we gave the control.
Interesting you don't like the clicks behaviour of mjuc either. BTW I think it's part Fairchild based and the uad one behaves almost like the hardware and is excellent. Ie uad Fairchild smokes mjuc.

TheoM wrote:
ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Hence the need for a demo or refund policy. You love mjuc yet agree you couldn't get results with the stripped down "demo" freebie. But how can someone really know? I mean shouldn't we be able to give a judgement based on the freebie? That's what it's there for.

Try slyfi deflector. That's the best compressor plugin I heard in years for me personally. Nothing like it on uad either. I've been rocking the demo all week blown away. I can dial it in anyway I like and get results.
Well yeah, you should be able to but honestly I don't use that model all that much. I use the other 2 a lot more. The 1st one works for me on vocals sometimes. I would love to try deflector but I don't have an iLok.

TheoM wrote: I finally tried the JR, what an awful compressor. It just adds clicks to everything i try it on. Awful on bass, drums and guitar. Didn't try it on vocals.

I have a guitar part here that is constant with one fast note peak 5db louder than the rest of the performance, MJUC JR will not react to the peak on any setting and by the time i have dialed the left drive knob to begin ANY needle movement, it actually let's the peak part through more and clips.

I'm sat here with a guitar and a hideous Boss HM2 going DI and damned if I can get it to click. DC8C does click with the Punch mode, fine with every other mode. MJUC replaced a Diamond compressor on the pedalboard.

Return to “Effects”