Only one main synth- realistic goal or stupid idea?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you're using Logic you now have Alchemy, kinda case closed.

If you don't there's Zebra (no sample import) or the new UVI Falcon. I personally don't get along with the UI in Falcon (yet) as it looks more like an FTP client than a synth, but it's just a case of getting used to it.

...after some initial scepticism it was Massive for me and it has been for almost ten years. I used Absynth and FM7 since even before that and I still use them, too. I also used Pro-53 a lot for a very long time and I was really upset when they discontinued it, but now I am very pleased with Monark and Reaktor 6. So, yes - I believe it's possible to deal only with a few synths. I also would keep their number down as much as possible, but only using one synth is probably a bit problematic. I need to have different approaches to explore from time to time to keep things fresh (and I still find new and interesting things with the ones mentioned).

For the style you've mentioned, Diva and Bazille might be worth looking into. Especially Bazille is a very, very fine synth and if it wasn't for Reaktor 6, I would have gone for it this autumn (very likely I still will, but a bit later) . So maybe Reaktor 6 might be something for you. The new Blocks sound great!!! (at the expense of CPU, though) and the modules themselves are very simple to use...

NAD wrote:It's absolutely no doubt one-hundred percent realistic!

Now get of this forum and back to making music before you end up like the rest of us--endlessly discussing synthesizers rather than actually using them.
Unless his ears won't be tricked by the art of modern synth marketing. :lol:

IMO, only one main synth is unrealistic. Well, maybe if it's just your main synth, but you probably need more. One synth is especially nice at pads, one at arpeggios, one at basses, one at effects etc. There's real workhorses, which kinda do everything well, like Spire for me, or Largo, but most don't have such a broad palette. Actually for me, it's especially those synths with a wide palette of sounds which i like the most, probably also because of the "one synth for all" thingie. :) But then, i couldn't have my plugin folder full with 100's of plugins either, so i guess i really want to concentrate on a few plugins.

You asked for one, people are giving you up to 10. :)
Here is one payware synth that i would buy if i needed (i'm happy with freeware, so don't) a payware synth: Zebra 2.
(The above suggestion is of course based on me being quite familiar with the synth going-out-of-tune demo).

BTW @ developers about demos and their limitations: IDK if you K, but in REAPER it is possible to set 1 button that will quickly unload and then load again any plugin, so any such demo annoyance is a bit less annoying in that DAW.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

ENV1 wrote:One single synth is probably pushing it, (although there are a few good allrounders), but with a well-picked selection of say 2 decent monosynths and 2 decent polysynths there is nothing standing in the way of making good music. (If you can.)

I guess one good example of how having very little in terms of instruments can still lead to great success would be Newcleus. Their Jam-On Revenge album is widely acknowledged to be one of the most influential albums in the Electro genre (and we all know how much sprang from that), yet when you see what they actually had to work with you will probably agree that it is really not a lot compared with what some people (including myself) have at their disposal today. Heres a list of everything they had to make Jam On It (single) and the Jam-On Revenge album, directly from CozmoD:
CozmoD wrote: Let's see...pre Jam-On Revenge album ("Jam On Revenge" and "Jam On It"):
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Roland RS09
Roland TB-303
Roland TR-808
Electro Harmonix Vocoder

Jam-On Revenge album:
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Roland RS09
Roland TB-303
Roland TR-808
Roland SH-101
Roland Juno 60
Oberhiem DMX
Electro Harmonix Vocoder
Very moderate by todays standards, wouldnt you say. Still it was enough to make a great album. Of course Jonathan Fearing might have added something here and there, (he wasnt exactly squeamish when it came to making changes to their material), and whatever gear Webb & Fair used when they produced the album is of course unclear too. But regardless, the point is that it goes to show that a lot can be done with surprisingly little as long as your musical ideas are sound. In fact other bands have made great successful stuff with even less.
Browsing old gear lists from artists was one inspiration for this thread, before the plugin revolution most people simply didn't have access to massive piles of sound sources for obvious reasons- yet inspiring music was made.

As clarification, I don't see any reason to limit myself completely to just one synth, but would like one capable machine that provides, say, 80% of sounds. Just one synth could restrict the available timbres, or come with the cost of ease of use, most likely. Now when I think about it, a really good but simple to use fake analog synth would pair really well with a wavetable/sound design monster like Zebra/Bazille or Serum.

Thanks for the posts guys, nice recommendations!

Also to see what can be done with just one synth take a look at the KVR One Synth Challenge competitions every month
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

I personally could never go to a single software synth. Bit that fruit, can't go back. I used to do all my synthesis on an Ensoniq TS-10, but while it was nice to have a very intimate relationship with a single instrument, I find that it's too limiting.

For what you described, I'd recommend Zebra and Dark Zebra (ZebraHZ). Dark Zebra is basically Zebra with Diva's filters. I find it really nice to have those filter emulations, especially when going for a more vintage style tone.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Absolutely, 100% doable and recommended. Doesn't matter because you will wind up with a suite of soft syns before too long anyway. If you try it, be aware the more powerful the instrument the more cpu and resources it will consume.

mpowersynth would be a good one IMO.

I share your wish for one synth only. A folder full of plugins is my nightmare.
I think in your situation the main question is how powerful your computer is as modern plugins consume a lot more CPU. If you got a modern Intel-based computer, you can easily settle on a single plugin that covers all your needs, especially if subtractive is most important to you.

Since you mention different synths with similar GUI, you could also opt for the Waves couple of Element and Codex, which are really cheap today because of the Cyber Monday sale...

At this point (decades of music creation) I think I own pretty much everything, if only because everything eventually goes on sale.

I like having a bunch of options, but I'm finding it much easier these days just to reach for Omnisphere 2 when I need a synth. It does everything, and even does a few things you never thought you needed. And it's all in one place.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Whenever someone asks for 'one synth to do it', it always triggers my response that you're really looking for a rompler. Given your other specifics though, I don't think you can go wrong with the u-he synths. A big +1 for Zebra2 with the HZ expansion for versatility if you only want one.

Of course, for what you imply in your OP, adding Diva and Bazille will perhaps give you more depth. ACE is another to check out for the modular routing.

And since they're inexpensive and on sale right now, I wouldn't dismiss the Korg Legacy collection.
Especially the MS-20/PolySix/Legacy Cell and Mono/Poly.

For what I hear from the OP,
anything touting to use 'psycho-acoustic' are the last things I would suggest. (i.e. Spectrasonics/Tone2)
Or anything that uses system resources security (such as PACE/iLok). (e.g. UVI/Falcon)

But even if you can stop at 'just one synth', chances are, you'll still be looking at some rompler/rampler/sampler to do the rest. And that's where the GAS gets its foot in the door.

BERFAB wrote:I'm finding it much easier these days just to reach for Omnisphere 2 when I need a synth. It does everything

Cheers
-B
No, it doesn't do everything... if you want the sort of audio rate modulations and arbitrary feedback loops of Bazille, Omnisphere doesn't touch that.

One synth?

Zebra...

I prefer synthesis to samples... setting samples aside, Zebra is the cream of the crop

pdxindy wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I'm finding it much easier these days just to reach for Omnisphere 2 when I need a synth. It does everything

Cheers
-B
No, it doesn't do everything... if you want the sort of audio rate modulations and arbitrary feedback loops of Bazille, Omnisphere doesn't touch that.
Noted.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Instruments”