Saturator plugin recommendation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djscorb wrote:Actually once in my cart, Studio Devil Tube Preamp was just $54.99 (£36.55).

Quite a saving on the regular price of $129 (£86.50)

Couldn't resist so picked it up. I might have to sell my license for Wavearts Tuibe Saturator as I never use it due to the CPU load and this will suite me far better :)

Cheers

Scorb

I've always been tempted by the Studio Devil Preamp. At that price I I'm struggling to resist! I have Tube Saturator 2, but don't use it that often. The CPU is better than the original, but the original sounded better IMHO.

djscorb wrote:Studio Devil plugs are 50% off at Audio Deluxe at the moment. Sorely tempted to get Virtual Tube Preamp!

My friends at DMG Audio reckon it's hands down the best modelled distortion you can get currently :)

Cheers

Scorb
hype, sound kinda digital when pushed ! but it s a decent one like a lot of the saturator out there.

To me there is not one best but all are usefull depending the sound and result after, from soundtoys ones to sdrr, mjuc to kush , ssl , sknote ect.. my fav is hardware culture vulture mastering + but plugins can be better sometimes
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah I didn't upgrade to Tube Saturator 2 yet and now I probably won't :)
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Synthetic Wav wrote:
djscorb wrote:Studio Devil plugs are 50% off at Audio Deluxe at the moment. Sorely tempted to get Virtual Tube Preamp!

My friends at DMG Audio reckon it's hands down the best modelled distortion you can get currently :)

Cheers

Scorb
hype, sound kinda digital when pushed ! but it s a decent one like a lot of the saturator out there.

To me there is not one best but all are usefull depending the sound and result after, from soundtoys ones to sdrr, mjuc to kush , ssl , sknote ect..
Not hype at all, just somebody's opinion that I consider worth listening to. In fact I don't think I've seen or heard any hype surrounding Studio Devil. At 36 sheets, I'm in in any case!
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Vospi wrote: Also, google for a) Shattered Glass SGA1566 ...
Not exactly cpu friendly, as wished by the OP, but i very much like it on a clean guitar, just to rough it up before going into an amp sim, as i usually find those rather weak with clean sounds.
Haven't used it on a bass, though.

Cheers

Scorb

When it comes to opinions regarding sound quality i would listen to a guy like Dave gamble. He knows his stuff
And has a well educated take on this versus us normal people who just use our ears. :tu:
:borg:

Exactly! If Dave says Mark's making the most convincing distortion algorithms then I'm interested in checking it out! :)

V0RT3X wrote:

Cheers

Scorb

When it comes to opinions regarding sound quality i would listen to a guy like Dave gamble. He knows his stuff
And has a well educated take on this versus us normal people who just use our ears. :tu:
Well, I just checked it out - and it's still on sale at audio deluxe (you have to go into the cart to get the full discount.
It sounds really good with guitar - running in to S-Gear amp sim - especially clean amp settings.

For £37 ($54), I went for it ;-)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

djscorb wrote:Yeah I didn't upgrade to Tube Saturator 2 yet and now I probably won't :)
How come? Tube saturator 2 seems very nice. Is it because of pace?

Three that deserve a mention:

1) Ohmicide - the whole distortion spectrum from light saturation to all out psycho-fuzz, it's also multiband and has dynamic control (i.e. you can set thresholds, attacks and releases to determine how the distortion kicks in). Fantastic plugin which I use on almost every project.

2) Native Instrument's Driver - very quick and easy distortion which is great at fattening up basses. Also has a filter you can modulate.

3) Sausage Fattener - simple one-knob affair which does exactly what it says on the tin.

sharke wrote:Three that deserve a mention:

3) Sausage Fattener - simple one-knob affair which does exactly what it says on the tin.
I completely forgot to list this - despite the fact that I use it all the time. For some reason, it doesn't pop into my head as a "saturation/distortion" plugin. It just makes things all juicy and fat. It doesn't fit on everything; but the exceptions are rare; and dialing it in is so fast.

djscorb wrote:Exactly! If Dave says Mark's making the most convincing distortion algorithms then I'm interested in checking it out! :)
dave also said me his eq can replace any eq or something like that, no offense but i can't take this guys seriously saying stuff like that for commercial purpose it feel like he take us for idiots..

That is a bit of an insult, Dave is absolutely nothing like that IMHO. He is respected because he knows his shit (and Equilibrium is spectacular).

You won't find a more critical or discerning bunch than the guys on the mastering forum on Gearslutz when it comes to eq. Equilibrium is hands down the most popular eq with these guys, myself included.

I also know Dave personally and you'd be hard pushed to find a more knowledgable and helpful developer. He is fully justified in being proud of his work and is always quick to praise and recommend other great developers too. In particular, Sean Costello, Andy Simper and Mark Gallo to name just three off the top of my head.

Anyway, back on topic!

I have u-he Satin and rarely use it. It strikes me, that as a tape machine simulator, it is one processor where presets make a lot more sense than for say eq or dynamics. Does anyone know if there are any great preset packs for sale or download available? I am interested in using it to tame spiky digital high end in a mastering context mainly, but creative mixing presets would be cool too.

Or, does anyone have any favourite presets in the factory patches that they turn to time and again? This is for electronic music rather than rock etc.

Cheers

Scorb

V0RT3X wrote:If you want something more aimed at mastering, this actually sounds pretty good.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... vsm-3.html

The only downside is the $300.00 price tag.
Not sure if it will go on sale or not.
I am often perplexed by the prices of some plugins. I can buy the latest blockbuster role playing game for Xbox for $100, which took multiple teams of hundreds of people working day and night over months or even years to develop - fully packaged and printed with glossy instruction manuals, maps, extra download content and distributed to my local shop at the bottom of the world.

Or.... I could buy a VSTi for $100 that was developed by one guy in his bedroom using Synthedit in his spare time, with no physical box candy whatsoever.

$300 for a digital distortion VST? *shrugs*

Sorry about the rant. This is my favourite:
http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/4 ... -FerricTDS

Return to “Effects”