150 UAD Lexicon 224 sound examples

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

electro wrote:This kind of test was never done with the EMT250, Emptyroom 250, and UAD 250.
I actually provided samples from both the original and the UAD version in the thread about the Emptyroom version on this very forum.

Warp69 wrote:[...]Only the Lexicon 480L sourcecode is lost - David Griesinger still has the code for the 224. AFAIK he hasn't been consulted in the creation of the UAD 224
How do you know about the source code for the machines? I'd be interested in reading more.

How are the code in these units constructed? I guess all processing isn't done in a central CPU like on a modern computer but rather on a number of DSP-chips connected together in a network. If so it's definitely not trivial to transfer this computing-scheme to modern CPU-based calculations.

Warp69 wrote:[...]
Here's a test of the Program #3 with modified parameters - both ofcourse have identical settings. It suggests that the Low Freq Reverb time is wrong, but even if I increase it considerably on the UAD224 - it still won't match.

www.relab.dk/downloads/sound/LEX224_2.wav
www.relab.dk/downloads/sound/UAD224_2.wav
[...]
This example and your previous one are very interesting to listen to. I must say I'm quite impressed by the UAD model. Although not identical to your hardware version quite close. I'd say the "sound" is about the same.

However the tail of the last example shows a huge difference in bass response. Since reverbs are made of a lot of feedback loops I'd say even a small difference in the model compared to the original could produce this big a differences on extreme decay times like this here. The initially small error grows during the prolonged decay phase since the signal is circulated through the loops over and over again.

Just a theory.
Could also be differences between different hardware units. So that your unit is different compared to the one UAD used as a model.

TheoM wrote:meh, give me pcm or 480l any day.

shows the first digital verb was not a good one.

metallic, coarse and grainy.

very cheap sound.
Not trying to pick on you brother, but...
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Return to “Effects”