How many of you run your music via some kind of mastering plugin?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I will only keep a limiter now on and treat everything invidually.

Eq and compressor here on master bus for mixing sake, also limiter for loudness on bypass (doesn't get rendered with final mix), that's all.

What falls into mastering plugins, things like Ozone?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Ozone, Waves etc. I'm a Reason user so I can only use the stocks or Rack Extension ones. But yeah, I trust "properly mixed tracks don't need mastering."

deep'n'dark wrote:But yeah, I trust "properly mixed tracks don't need mastering."
You mean they don't need much correction at mastering stage, for sure, but they still need to be mastered one way or another.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
deep'n'dark wrote:But yeah, I trust "properly mixed tracks don't need mastering."
You mean they don't need much correction at mastering stage, for sure, but they still need to be mastered one way or another.
Mastering means that bunch of your tracks are made to sound like an album. I don't think that there's no mixes, that aren't already perfect as they are.

deep'n'dark wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Mastering means that bunch of your tracks are made to sound like an album. I don't think that there's no mixes, that aren't already perfect as they are.
Well, if one works in 16 bit 44k, it's arguable that using limiter on master bus isn't sort of mastering, even if he does it in the mix process.

I understand that if you aren't releasing your music to public and using it for your live set's or enjoyment, there's really no need for dithering, but any other way around, mastering is a must.

Mastering means that bunch of your tracks are made to sound like an album
Unless you're making a single :P

I use a chain of compressors / limiters for different purposes. Recently found out they are very badly configured, so better not rely on these :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yes yes, I'd let a professional mastering engineer master my work, but I need to do my job first i.e. making music that is worth to master.

I was using Slate's FG-X, but then Ozone 7 came out and there are some mastering presets on that which really bump up the quality of my sound.

I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to mixing/mastering, etc., so I need all the help I can get.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

deep'n'dark wrote:Yes yes, I'd let a professional mastering engineer master my work, but I need to do my job first i.e. making music that is worth to master.
Doesn't meter who masters the music, in majority of cases it needs mastering, that's my point.

Of course, agree, one should get his mix as best as he can without relying on "it will be fixed in mastering stage", that's general consensus about mixing in general.

Sorry for noticing, but it seems you are back from "fix with mastering" camp and some stuff aren't crystal clear yet, my sincere advice is to visit this whole issue again and build around that new fundamental understanding, everything will fall in place and your mixes will reflect that, we learn our whole life.

Zexila wrote:
deep'n'dark wrote:Yes yes, I'd let a professional mastering engineer master my work, but I need to do my job first i.e. making music that is worth to master.
Doesn't meter who masters the music, in majority of cases it needs mastering, that's my point.

Of course, agree, one should get his mix as best as he can without relying on "it will be fixed in mastering stage", that's general consensus about mixing in general.

Sorry for noticing, but it seems you are back from "fix with mastering" camp and some stuff aren't crystal clear yet, my sincere advice is to visit this whole issue again and build around that new fundamental understanding, everything will fall in place and your mixes will reflect that, we learn our whole life.
I have tried out something indeed but I aim higher. :)

deep'n'dark wrote:I have tried out something indeed but I aim higher. :)
Sorry, I sincerely don't know what you mean by this, if I were rude or douche, I apologize, that wasn't my intention, I'm learning new things every day and my ambitions aren't as high as they were before, but nonetheless appreciate every bit of info that I can use in my advantage, same way love to give back if I can, I'm really not pumping my ego here, just failing in common human interaction, so sorry again. :neutral:

Zexila wrote:
deep'n'dark wrote:I have tried out something indeed but I aim higher. :)
Sorry, I sincerely don't know what you mean by this, if I were rude or douche, I apologize, that wasn't my intention, I'm learning new things every day and my ambitions aren't as high as they were before, but nonetheless appreciate every bit of info that I can use in my advantage, same way love to give back if I can, I'm really not pumping my ego here, just failing in common human interaction, so sorry again. :neutral:
Yeah, no problem. I have made music for 20 years, but I'm also learning (still). :P

Why not try my mastering technique - It's all free - Afterall..
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=451229
My Music Site: http://www.leattol.com
My Amazing 32 Bit Win EQ: LA bands 15 band EQ

The last few years all I use for the mastering phase of my own tracks is a limiter, usually just kissing a couple dB off any peaks. Otherwise I spend all my energy on how the song sounds in the mixdown and sound design phase. To me, mastering is NOTHING except having another set of more experienced ears see if they can improve something you might have missed. That's it. Otherwise, forget "mastering" as a phase you have to do and just work with elements at the level of detail you have available to you.

I've been mastering other people's music for roughly 15 years now, 8 of those full time. Out of the thousands of tracks I've worked on, I can think of a handful that I wasn't able to add at least some tiny bit of enhancement that the artist appreciated. Roughly 5 or 6 tracks that just were dead on as they were, either from flat out perfect mixes for the music, or just because the music was unique enough that there wasn't even anything to reference it against anyway.

Return to “Production Techniques”