Waves Codex...Not So Bad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth

Absolute bargain of a price. Almost a no-brainer... But not quite

for $49 (current promo + $30 coupon), is worth?

waltercruz wrote:for $49 (current promo + $30 coupon), is worth?
Sure.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:
Sure.
With Codex it is not possible to save wavetables. Also it is not possible to copy oscillators. The software is not worth the money. If it were possible I would Codex return immediately.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

I rarely get excited about softsynths but looking at the Yoad Nevo Demo on 'tube it looks like a wonderful design (the oscillator sections in particular) to make the process of actually 'exploiting' the wavetable easy and fun. Not too complex too - enough to make for speedy sound creation but not so much to feel bogged down in the interface.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

PietW. wrote:With Codex it is not possible to save wavetables. Also it is not possible to copy oscillators. The software is not worth the money. If it were possible I would Codex return immediately.
Really? For the low price that it is? So that makes it unusable? Maybe they should discontinue it then? :roll:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I bought it last time it came close to the $50 mark. My one regret is it doesn't quite fit on my 720p screen, but some day I'll upgrade, and even until then, its clean, single-page UI makes it very easy to get lovely virtual analog sequences, solid kicks & percussion, and of course loads of wavetable goodness.

Given the current cyber monday deal, and that I already have Codex, my question is more, what else does Waves make that's as much fun?

psmacmur wrote:Given the current cyber monday deal, and that I already have Codex, my question is more, what else does Waves make that's as much fun?
Have you tried Element?

Rumour is that Codex and Element is basically the same plug, except the oscillators.

PietW. wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:
Sure.
With Codex it is not possible to save wavetables. Also it is not possible to copy oscillators. The software is not worth the money. If it were possible I would Codex return immediately.
Wavetables could be imported from WAV files that are e.g. created with Audio Term. The format of the factory wavetables is 32-bit (float), 44.1 kHz and 512 samples per wave.
Imported wavetables are saved with the patch. They are indeed not available from a list but you could load/import them from a specific folder if you need them.
Audio Term allows only using 33 waveforms for a table but the WAV file wavetable export allows adding additional waves by interpolation to get an amount of 64 waves.

You could also try importing any other WAV sample but for importing a wavetable properly (like created in e.g. Audio Term) a certain format should be used.

FWIW i had sold Codex but not because it was bad but because i already had lots of other wavetable synths, including all Waldorf and PPG plugins, a Waldorf Blofeld (hardware) and also DUNE 2. The last wavetable capable synth i got was UVI Falcon.

BTW i kept the Codex factory wavetables renamed to WAV files (the orignal files have no file extension) and they could be properly imported in UVI Falcon when adding the size of a single wave at the end of the file name (e.g. "Wavetable 01_512.WAV" for a size of 512 samples)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It is a very good synth. I really like it, but I also feel tired from forgetting to unplug the usb from the desktop and then plug it to the laptop ...etc. So, I'm thinking of selling it after the Christmas but I don't know the fees be paid to Waves
(of course I could ask them, but I really feel embarrassed asking a company about selling their product :hihi: )

I do have Blofeld and Hybrid 3 which are more than enough as wavetable synths. I think Synthmaster also has a support for wavetables (but I haven't done any presets with it yet). Anyway, I noticed that I could reach similar results with modulation in general for some synths. For example, Bazille has an incredible sequencer that when used to modulate some parts and morphing between 8 different setups, that can lead into unheard results! I also noticed that modulating an FM or Additive synth can make some similar results to when moving inside the wavetable.

Back to topic, Codex! Something unique about Codex (I don't think Blofeld or Hybrid 3 has it) and that is the ability to morph between the wavetables (not only one)! that can make crazy sounds! Also, Codex has a character of its own not similar to other wavetable synths.
But it doesn't have various types of filters. It also has only 6 modulations fields which sometimes are not enough. But after all, it is a very good synth. I would be very happy if Waves supports activation on two computers without the need for a usb. Oh well, if you have only one computer, then that won't be an issue.

Bought it today for like 49 bucks.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

I like the sound of Codex, it's very warm like Element. I've been wanting it since I demoed it after release, but the timing of Waves sales never seemed right for me and I don't really NEED it. But yesterday it only took me a split second to make a purchase decision as I can't see the price getting any lower than $44 that I payed. Really happy to be able to use it from now on.

Hmm I know this isn't popular opinion but I prefer codex to serum. I'm with Simon on this one.

Now please understand I realise serum is many's dream synth and it's raved about everywhere.

Codex might be full of flaws but to a non synth guru like me it's immediately more accessible. Also there is something to the tone that I find gooey and pleasing. And thats my issue with serum. It's a monster synth with features galore but when it comes down to it I just don't like the tone :shrug:

Initially I thought it was just the factory presets (and demo limitations frustrating me from learning it better myself), but over time, and hearing sounds from absolute gurus, I see now my opinion stands as no matter what I can hear this cold very calculated digitality to it that is always present. All for digital synths here, but why don't I hear for example that sort if thing in 25 yo synths like the wavestation? Even though WS is a thin synth there is something about it's basic tone I've always loved. This is why I pick codex over serum. It might not even be half the actual product but for my ear it sounds more pleasing.

TheoM wrote:Hmm I know this isn't popular opinion but I prefer codex to serum.
You dun did it now TheeeOh! You'n is dogmeat boy! Goan git'm Bubba!! :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Quick question, how the heck do you choose your default vst plugin folder, the central just installed it and didn't ask me for a location!
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Return to “Instruments”