PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
RockinMillie wrote:
glokraw wrote:An IT professional asserting that windows is never prone
to fundamental flaws. How precious.

But if windows were not so fundamentally and
perennially flawed, most of the IT professionals
would be in other professions.
Ah, so you had to resort to personal insults, rather than address the facts I presented.
The usual thing when talking to Linux people. :shrug: Lol @ arguing there wouldn't be so many IT professionals if Windows wasn't so flawed btw. That's about the silliest thing i've read in quite a while.
Two common IT career certifications are for windows and redhat

google results

windows computer problem 180,000,000

redhat computer problem 571,000

It's pretty easy to extrapolate where the best career path
for fixing things in the IT world exists.

RockinMillie wrote: As a side-note: At the weekend I did a clean install of Debian 8.2 stable to replace Debian 7 on my Linux partition. I also installed Tracktion 4 there too just to have a look at it -
On the positive side: one can set up ones' audio interface within Tracktion to use ALSA directly without having to go via JACK.
On the negative side: it's very flaky. Just navigating to the directory where it prompts for a new project to be created resulted in an un-handled exception. This is basic Janet and John stuff and not really acceptable.

My previous experiences with Ardour, Hydrogen and Rosegarden were not exactly positive either. I found them to be flaky too.
Traction 4 really? That's ancient, to put it kindly.
Try the bitwig demo. It get's better with each RC

I share your opinion of older ardour and rosegarden
releases, but I use reaper in wine, when I want a
'daw app', and blend it with the rest of linux audio.
I have no motive to try the latest versions, but they do get
some good comments from long term users.

Hydrogen has never flaked out on me, but then,
I'm the fool who don't fix what ain't broke...

RockinMillie wrote: In fact, it cannot even be described as 'designed', it has just evolved.
And grown arms, legs, feelers and antennae :o
As opposed to the never ending parade of actual designs
ushered in when windows automatic update is enabled...

RockinMillie wrote: Certainly you will find people who do use Linux for music production. Well done to them.
However, I would rather put the time and effort into the music rather than hacking around with something that is fundamentally flawed to begin with.
You are implying that you have to hack around in the OS
in order to produce music using linux.

The reality is, you can configure a linux system
that is stable and functional, and keep it that way,
which is actually a business model maintained in successful studios, regardless of the which OS is the primary choice.

I knew a Linux fanboy would be here.

:hihi:

BTW... You mentioned Red Hat ... what about you combining all versions of Linux in that comparison ?

The other problem I have is that you conveniently forgot about how many people have Windows vs whatever version of Linux.

:wink:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

glokraw wrote:Two common IT career certifications are for windows and redhat

google results

windows computer problem 180,000,000

redhat computer problem 571,000

It's pretty easy to extrapolate where the best career path
for fixing things in the IT world exists.
Are you serious? Apart from the attempt to prove which OS is more issue prone by Google search results, which is silly, Windows is also a little (attention: understatement) more widespread than Linux. Linux has about 1-2% on the home computer market, while Windows has 90%, and there's a lot more bureau or business machines too.

Last time I checked, one percent of 180,000,000
was 1,800,000. Three times the redhat number.

Considering the vast hordes of paid coders (some paid 'per line of code')
producing windows, the quality control has been dubious,
when not absent. Monopolies (duopolies, if counting Macs) have that effect.

Since when are generic search engine statisics sillY?

If you substituted different car-makers in a comparison search,
with similar disparities of result, which make would you want your kids to buy?

trimph1 wrote:I knew a Linux fanboy would be here.

:hihi:

BTW... You mentioned Red Hat ... what about you combining all versions of Linux in that comparison ?

The other problem I have is that you conveniently forgot about how many people have Windows vs whatever version of Linux.

:wink:
I take some guilty pleasure at times, when reading the frothings of random
linux flossies, in pointing out that they can't even run their flosswares,
except by booting closed source code, that was burned into closed source chip technology,
mounted on closed source motherboard designs...

So as fanbois go, I tend to be unpopular, and subject to causing thread closures,
by those prone to take their ball and go home. I myself use XP for Headcase and Rhino,
as their gui's don't work correctly in wine, but are far too good to miss out on.

Most people got stuck with windows, and to a lesser extent, mac0S,
because it was what was on the computer they bought, used at school,
or are saddled with at work, as a result of the garage-ware luck
that befell Mr. Gates, and the baffoonery of Amiga/Atari management,
way back in the olden days. I can run reaper and bitwig and some
linux instruments/effects at the same time, in a decrepid old computer,
so I'm happy, and personal labeling from the kvr rank&file matters not.
Cheers

Spoken like a true Linux fanboy.

:tu:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I can run reaper
Reaper and wineasio in wine, will host a wide range of windows vsts,
most things work unless dongled or paced.

Oh the irony of it :dog:
Running a Windows emulator (i.e Wine, to emulate an O/S which you clearly despise) on Linux, in order to run a Windows application (i.e. Reaper), Windows VSts and to enable ASIO (which is not supported natively in Linux).

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Not. :hihi:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

Quick! Someone put an irony limiter on this thread! It's already in the red! :wink:

I am in the same boat with RockinMillie in that I use Windows only for music production and Linux for everything else. If you assume two stable, configured systems (Windows and Linux) with working drivers then Windows will currently still win hands down with regards to workflow, simplicity and availability of plugins.

I think one reason is that the Unix philosophy of using several small tools chained together to get the big "job" done does not really fit well with making music (at least for me). I just want to sit down, fire up the DAW, create several tracks with the plugins I want to use, make music and then save everything in one session once I am done. All in one package.

Another problem is that ironically some things are not designed with simplicity in mind when it comes to plugins. If you want to learn VSTs it's: "Here, have a look at this C interface." With LV2 it's more like: "Hey, do you want to learn Turtle?" :wink: And don't get me started on writing GUIs for LV2 plugins. :(
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

RockinMillie wrote:
I can run reaper
Reaper and wineasio in wine, will host a wide range of windows vsts,
most things work unless dongled or paced.

Oh the irony of it :dog:
Running a Windows emulator (i.e Wine, to emulate an O/S which you clearly despise) on Linux, in order to run a Windows application (i.e. Reaper), Windows VSts and to enable ASIO (which is not supported natively in Linux).

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Not. :hihi:
Running a windows emulator? Here is some irony:

w ine
i s
n ot
e mulator

Lest we forget.

And back to the original topic, using a well working tool like reaper
to produce music, in a desired environment, is freedom, sensible,
and definitely not ironic. I don't promote or practice 'linux only',
but use linux mainly, and don't mind refuting hardware and software issues
that had some credibility back in 2009, but are easily managed in 2015.

For example, anyone could get a Native Instruments Komplete 6 interface,
Bitwig daw, and an nVidia graphics card, and have a very smooth
and productive linux hardware/software experience.

BlitBit wrote: Another problem is that ironically some things are not designed with simplicity in mind when it comes to plugins. If you want to learn VSTs it's: "Here, have a look at this C interface." With LV2 it's more like: "Hey, do you want to learn Turtle?" :wink: And don't get me started on writing GUIs for LV2 plugins. :(
U-he, DiscoDSP, TAL and PianoteQ miraculously mastered 'enough of whatever'
to release linux vst versions of excellent plugins. Bitwig, Renoise, Ardour, Traction,
Radium and Qtractor offer a variety of daw capabilities. There's not much
doom and gloom among linux musicians these days.

As for LV2, the MOD project and Guitarix are coming along nicely,
despite the many burdensome lv2 quirks. Apparently, once you learn them,
you don't need to learn them again the next day, nor the day after that...
Who'd uh evuh thunk it?

It's so wonderful that Steinberg never left any quirks in the vst spec.

glokraw wrote: Since when are generic search engine statisics sillY?
Well, if the amount of used copies of one product is much bigger than the one from another product, it's kinda obvious that you can find more on the net about it, including support requests. Common sense really. I've been giving support in a Linux support forum. Should i argue from the amount of times i had to give help to users now that Linux is especially issue prone? Now, considering my personal experience is that Windows is a LOT less issue prone that any Linux distro i ever tried, on several different computers, i rather go by experience than anything else. And, my experience is also that Linux people arguing Linux is better (in any way) than Windows, and less issue prone, haven't been using Windows since Windows 98, so i highly question the ability from one side to even be able to argue about it anyway.

trimph1 wrote:Spoken like a true Linux fanboy.

:tu:
Weak one liner, spoken like a true Omnisphere.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”