Arturia Synth Collection vs. Diva Tal U-NO etc.? sound, gui etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:I have the V-collection, and I upgraded my V3 to V4.
I never followed Arturia stuff until this BF sale, so I have no clue about their prices. How much did you pay for the upgrade?

e@rs wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I have the V-collection, and I upgraded my V3 to V4.
I never followed Arturia stuff until this BF sale, so I have no clue about their prices. How much did you pay for the upgrade?
I believe that it was $99. I can't remember exactly what V3 cost, because it was convoluted, but I don't think that it was as low as the current price, in total. It seems to me that the upgrade to the bundle initially was about $150 because I had three Arturia products, those products were essentially free as they were the direct result of buying an analog factory keyboard on super blowout.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Got it. My concern was about how much the upgrade to V5 (rumored scalable GUIs) would be considering the older upgrade fees. Thanx guys!

e@rs wrote:Got it. My concern was about how much the upgrade to V5 (rumored scalable GUIs) would be considering the older upgrade fees. Thanx guys!
I expect that it will be around $100.

Any speculation what they might include as new synths/plugins?

^Absolutely no clue...

ghettosynth wrote: I explored the modular aspect of it when I got the software and it's largely just samples everywhere.
What do you mean? You can design sounds in the modular environment without ever using samples.

T-CM11 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: I explored the modular aspect of it when I got the software and it's largely just samples everywhere.
What do you mean? You can design sounds in the modular environment without ever using samples.
Yes, clearly. That isn't what I meant. The majority of sounds that come with Spark 2 are not much more than samples. There's very little in the way of percussion synthesis. Yes, there's some, and yes, samples are often processed, but it's not enough to make the library fun to explore.

Ok, so what? I can certainly design my own sounds, right? Sure, but, if the library isn't a source of inspiration and I'm starting from a blank slate then there's little value to an extremely limited environment like Spark over a much more powerful, and frankly a lot less buggy, environment like Reaktor. Spark's modular environment is cute, but that's about it. It's weak graphically, the modules are weak individually, there's no intra kit integration of signals, and the module selection is extremely limited and not particularly compelling.

Moreover, and I've made this complaint before about effects, synths, and layering. People overlook the modularization and integration aspects of their DAW. Spark 2 reinforced this idea for me. A plugin is not the place to put a limited drum modular synth or even a sequencer linked to sounds. That's what a DAW is for! So, back to my full comment which you didn't quote:
I also realized that the modular component was kind of clunky. In the end I found that drum racks + Reaktor is a much better modular drum synth solution for me.
If you haven't used Live, I think that Ableton's drum racks are a MUCH better idea for modular drum programming. Each drum is an instrument. That means I can scale from just a simple sample to a full Reaktor modular patch on each pad and everything in between. Drums can a single patch in FM8, Operator, or any synth that I own. If I want to get crazy, I can even use something like MUX, or in my case just use MFL, to host plugins and create a modular routing of existing plugins. That's overkill, of course, but you get the idea.

I'm ok with a smaller collection of modules if they are all really good and specific to the task. For example, in place of the simple EG why not include something like the EG in Sonic Academy's Kick. This is the same criticism that I have of Dave Smith's Tempest. Glomping a standard synth processing framework onto a sample does not a good drum synth make. There's a lot that could be done that would make a drum modular compelling, but a simple isolated modular synth per pad just isn't interesting to me.

Return to “Instruments”