Cubase 8.5 here any day now...and the day has come

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Looks like there's a "track import from projects" (pg. 1054, manual)...which is kinda nice, actually.

Edit - it also looks like "virgin territories" automation may have been modified, i.e., the envelope returns to it's initial data point, after whatever was written during the pass. This seems more logically implemented than previously (where the automation point remained wherever you ended the pass, which seemed kind of self-defeating).
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

I remember something like this already being available in earlier versions.
But on quick read, this seems to have been overhauled. However - only for XML "Track Archives", not directly from CPR files.

A more logical update (or rather implementation right from the start!) would have been "export as individual tracks", but not render them as "STEREO" (or split mono, with he appropriate set checkmark), but if I select a mono track, render as mono. Or consolidate without cutting away "dead air" after the last blip of the track and rather render everything between my markers.

But... Cubase is not ProTools (where consolidating files is really darn simple). :shrug:

Sometimes i have the feeling, the more "features" that will be "tagged on", the less thought are behind them. Which are then being "hotfixed" in the next paid version. The new "Chord Track" anyone?! Or "Instrument Tracks" (which took a couple of versions until they finally turned "multi-channel output")?

Just my 2c of course, YMMV and all that.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Wait till you get it and try it I suggest.
Assuming it does exist ;)
rsp
sound sculptist

Compyfox wrote:I remember something like this already being available in earlier versions.
But on quick read, this seems to have been overhauled. However - only for XML "Track Archives", not directly from CPR files.

A more logical update (or rather implementation right from the start!) would have been "export as individual tracks", but not render them as "STEREO" (or split mono, with he appropriate set checkmark), but if I select a mono track, render as mono. Or consolidate without cutting away "dead air" after the last blip of the track and rather render everything between my markers.

But... Cubase is not ProTools (where consolidating files is really darn simple). :shrug:

Sometimes i have the feeling, the more "features" that will be "tagged on", the less thought are behind them. Which are then being "hotfixed" in the next paid version. The new "Chord Track" anyone?! Or "Instrument Tracks" (which took a couple of versions until they finally turned "multi-channel output")?

Just my 2c of course, YMMV and all that.
If I understand the manual correctly, you can import tracks directly from other projects, ie., CPR's. The XML import is from track archives - which, as you rightly noted, is not new.

I like that these imported tracks can be imported as track versions, btw.
vespesian (sean)

It would have been good if Export tracks as archive would have that little checkbox "Save clips/events with tracks" that exist for Reaper - or that Sonar has as Save as track template.

There is a radio now to select whether include event data as reference or embedded - it could be a third alternative to not bother with data at all. So simple things can save a lot of work.

To me the feature is mostly useful as track template, rather than backups.
To make multitrack miking ready to use in another project - or multiout VSTi etc with busses and the lot.

So boring to set this up for every new project - and you can with archives but have to remember to save early or your clips go with it.

Or maybe you can pick from Project templates - must check that out....

vespesian wrote: I like that these imported tracks can be imported as track versions, btw.
What a treat it would be if track versions could include plugins - and it would serve as MixRecall in Sonar. As I remember it inserts are not included as a version of a track.

lfm wrote:
vespesian wrote: I like that these imported tracks can be imported as track versions, btw.
What a treat it would be if track versions could include plugins - and it would serve as MixRecall in Sonar. As I remember it inserts are not included as a version of a track.
And if track versions could contain their own automation...oh well :roll:
vespesian (sean)

Track import from cpr... that's a genuinely useful feature. Meanwhile over on Vi Control, someone with 8.5 is reporting much snappier response, which apparently was an aim for this version.

Not ready to jump in with the doom and gloomers just yet.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

zvenx wrote:Wait till you get it and try it I suggest.
Excellent trolling? Who says I haven't used C8 at all?
zvenx wrote:Assuming it does exist ;)
If you mean, C8.5 - I think it's obviously it's all in my mind that I can browse through the official manual, which was leaked on Steinberg's forum (and not removed btw - no use for damage control anymore), and now on both GS and KVR as well.

:roll:

Regarding Track Import from CPR files - did not read that. Or I just don't understand the "feature". :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I did mean 8.5...
rsp
sound sculptist

New Features video - mixing and track handling....https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufazSszN-80
vespesian (sean)

vespesian wrote:New Features video - mixing and track handling....https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufazSszN-80
So they begin uploading the videos ...

I guess, as I presumed, the release will be today (first Wednesday in December as they did since 2012).

Thanks for the info vespesian, well spotted!

zvenx wrote:I did mean 8.5...
rsp
In all seriousness - if C8.0 didn't blow me out of the water so far, why do you think that C8.5 will if it's are "mere update"?
vespesian wrote:New Features video - mixing and track handling....
Let'S get more in-depth, shall we?

A feature copied from ProTools, now in Cubase: more control over creating new tracks. Can speed up things a bit on initial setup for sure. Don't know about the handling on the long run however.
https://youtu.be/ufazSszN-80?t=1m7s

Drag and drop from Media Bay - now if only you could drag and drop MIDI files over another MIDI file without creating a new track (see below)
https://youtu.be/ufazSszN-80?t=1m33s

Something that was WAY OVERDUE(!!!) since C7.0.0 (which they changed with 7.0.1) - fixing the f*cking overlay buttons of the inserts! Only took them how long? 3 years and 3 paid versions?! "Static Controls" is also something that we had (size-wise) pre-C7. I definitely appreciate that, but it's sadly way too late for a day-1 feature request from a lot(!) of disgruntled users.
https://youtu.be/ufazSszN-80?t=2m16s

Then on to the new "Import from other projects" feature - looks like it's from CPR after all. And seeing that you can also "replace tracks", this brings back hope that "MIDI file over MIDI file" trigger just a new track version (see above). Actually one of the more useful features in this... "upgrade".
https://youtu.be/ufazSszN-80?t=3m22s

The last "feature" is just a workaround rather than a "select all, press one button, all channels respond" mode. Whoever needs this, might benefit from it. I didn't so far - and I do consider myself to be a heavy Cubase user.

SUMMARY (personal opinion):
Some "new features" will definitely be advertised as the best since fresh baked goods, toasted aromatically while slicing (kudos to those that get the reference) - especially Retrologue. But I still think that these so called "workflow improvements" have been implemented way too late and have once more the "tacked on" feeling.

So not worth the upgrade though (again, IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda), it's been C6.5 (barely any new features) all over. I will wait what C9 will bring to the table. Looks like the "only get the next odd version" rule still applies for this company.

Don't upgrade blindly, folks. Speak with your wallet. Only this way, we can change the "current money grab routes" of companies rather than getting fully fleshed out and fairly bug-free tools.
Last edited by Compyfox on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yawnie Yawnstein.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”