Cubase 8.5 here any day now...and the day has come

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

FrankLaVerne wrote:
vespesian wrote:New Features video - mixing and track handling....https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufazSszN-80
Thanks for the info vespesian, well spotted!
+1

quite a bunch of nice little things - like free placement of busses now, like right in the folder for everything - less spaghetti routing.

vespesian wrote:New Features video - mixing and track handling....https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufazSszN-80
how did you find it? it's a private link - can't be found via search or steinberg's channel

lfm wrote: quite a bunch of nice little things - like free placement of busses now, like right in the folder for everything - less spaghetti routing.
and still, while at it, we could just have an option to use a group track as a folder, or vice versa.

Yes, some small improvements.
Ok, the track import feature from other projects is interesting... the new mouse hover controls is a small visual improvement. Some small changes for copying audio/midi from the mediabay to new/existing tracks. Maybe there is other more interesting stuff but I don't see the wish for a quick upgrade this time. There is no stuff where I would say "I must have this".

I had a big hope they improve automation and introducing splines :(

The only thing: Cubase 9 will be a bit cheaper if upgrading from 8.5

4damind wrote: The only thing: Cubase 9 will be a bit cheaper if upgrading from 8.5
really? because it will be 50 eur to 8.5, and than extra 100 to 9 no? and 8 to 9 would be 150?

tristan- wrote:
how did you find it? it's a private link - can't be found via search or steinberg's channel
Just found it on the Steinberg Cubase forum: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 8&start=75

Though I am unaware how "Frog" did find them - could be that he found the links in the "News and tutorials" section of his Cubase 8.5 startup screen (he is one of the guys who got 8.5 early).

tristan- wrote:
4damind wrote: The only thing: Cubase 9 will be a bit cheaper if upgrading from 8.5
really? because it will be 50 eur to 8.5, and than extra 100 to 9 no? and 8 to 9 would be 150?
Yes, I think so if we speak about 150€ for the upgrade from 8 to 9. This was the same with 7 /7.5 to 8.

well, that video WAS uploaded two weeks ago!

But Frank, if you pay Steinberg now, you agree with their upgrade politics. Read: you support how they work and draw our hard earned money out of your pockets.

If you agree with this, nobody is stopping you. But personally, I am not cool with this and sit out C8.5 as well. I will pay more in the end (I think 300bucks). But Steinberg won't see any immediate money from me in return.

I worked for years on VST5 until SX3 hit (and I was lucky that I did not jump on SX2.2 - which really turned into something good again). I did the same with sitting it out until C5. Then I was stupid enough to keep upgrading up until C7.x (now I live with the bugs and workarounds in C7.5 - got used to them even). But these were different times (switch from Pinnacle to early Yamaha).

And look into what Cubase has grown into?! These Drag and Drop features alone look like clones from Tracktion and FL Studio - welcome even more to the "touchscreen generation". Yet the good things from these hosts are not copied (MIDI Editing from FL Studio for example).

This really sends the wrong signals IMO. At least to some(!) longtime users. There will always be users that just shut down their brain turn into full "Philip J. Fry" mode. We can't prevent that.

But stil... Just my 2c.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

yo.. im not trying to be a hater.. but the only thing i even like about cubase is the chord tracks and chord midi editing, really good for learning, but after you've learned how to make chords yourself, its becomes a lot less cool.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote:yo.. im not trying to be a hater.. but the only thing i even like about cubase is the chord tracks and chord midi editing, really good for learning, but after you've learned how to make chords yourself, its becomes a lot less cool.
Not to be a hater either, but other tools CLEARLY surpassed that.
From Toontracks EZ Keys, to Synleor Harmony Improvisator (way longer than Toontrack or Cubase did btw) down to j74's Progressive and if you use jBridge on Windows, also "ChordSpace" or (Win x64) CodeFN42 "Chordz" and "Cales".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I see a guy stated SB fixed this behaviour with the always on top main window title bar (Afaik only a very bad behaviour on Windows). So it's IMO a bit too early to say something about this update and if it's worth 50€

Compy, yes, this intermediate updates are always a bit special. It's the idea to generate some extra money with some small improvement instead of waiting another year for a big major update.

Compyfox wrote:But Frank, if you pay Steinberg now, you agree with their upgrade politics. Read: you support how they work and draw our hard earned money out of your pockets.

If you agree with this, nobody is stopping you. But personally, I am not cool with this and sit out C8.5 as well. I will pay more in the end (I think 300bucks). But Steinberg won't see any immediate money from me in return.

But stil... Just my 2c.
I usually am a quite stingy person, so I'd rather pay just 50, wait for the grace period and update to 9 for the cost of 8.5. On the other hand, you made a good point there. I'll check tomorrow (or today, to be correct) what else they really have to offer and if it would be worth the money. Otherwise I will probably wait.

Thanks for those two cents, I'll take it :)

By the way - you have a rather nice studio, something like this is my goal to have one day.

FrankLaVerne wrote:By the way - you have a rather nice studio, something like this is my goal to have one day.
Even with the outdated pics and page, that's appreciated. :tu:

And thanks for taking my 2c into consideration. This is what I've been doing for a couple of years at this point. I stopped to "blindly follow the leader" in the industry. Which in turn doesn't always get taken that well. But we're so swamped with tools these days, there is really no need (anymore) to always swim with the masses and always have "the latest of the latest".

So... the daw landscape is Tokyo and Cubase is Godzilla. :hihi:

Or is Nuendo Godzilla and Cubase just a lizard baby?

Being more serious... every since I first bought Sequel (long ago) I've been wondering how long it might take for Steiny to slide some of it's better parts over to the big boys, like the really nice smart tool splitting.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”