Waves Codex...Not So Bad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth

It seems like with VST3, you don't have a choice, so perhaps you only installed that version?

musikmachine wrote:Quick question, how the heck do you choose your default vst plugin folder, the central just installed it and didn't ask me for a location!
You can't specify a location with waves central - if it's Windows the waveshell dll will be in Programs > VSTPlugins. I moved the waveshell dll to my preferred location and my waves plugins work fine.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

TheoM wrote:Hmm I know this isn't popular opinion but I prefer codex to serum. I'm with Simon on this one.

Now please understand I realise serum is many's dream synth and it's raved about everywhere.

Codex might be full of flaws but to a non synth guru like me it's immediately more accessible. Also there is something to the tone that I find gooey and pleasing. And thats my issue with serum. It's a monster synth with features galore but when it comes down to it I just don't like the tone :shrug:

Initially I thought it was just the factory presets (and demo limitations frustrating me from learning it better myself), but over time, and hearing sounds from absolute gurus, I see now my opinion stands as no matter what I can hear this cold very calculated digitality to it that is always present. All for digital synths here, but why don't I hear for example that sort if thing in 25 yo synths like the wavestation? Even though WS is a thin synth there is something about it's basic tone I've always loved. This is why I pick codex over serum. It might not even be half the actual product but for my ear it sounds more pleasing.
I agree with you here Theo - Codex has a very hardware-like thickness, warmth and weight to it - very rarely heard in software. The demo on the Waves page - 'Dilated' - sounds like a 90's psytrance track to me - very hardware like.

do_androids_dream wrote:The demo on the Waves page - 'Dilated' - sounds like a 90's psytrance track to me - very hardware like.
It actually sounds like Hardware. Not many softsynths can sound like This.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:The demo on the Waves page - 'Dilated' - sounds like a 90's psytrance track to me - very hardware like.
It actually sounds like Hardware. Not many softsynths can sound like This.
:tu:. Almost none. It's quite a lovely little demo actually - sounds like some of Eat Static's more mellow moments.

do_androids_dream wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Quick question, how the heck do you choose your default vst plugin folder, the central just installed it and didn't ask me for a location!
You can't specify a location with waves central - if it's Windows the waveshell dll will be in Programs > VSTPlugins. I moved the waveshell dll to my preferred location and my waves plugins work fine.
Oh yeah, it's been a while. Thanks!
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

do_androids_dream wrote:
TheoM wrote:Hmm I know this isn't popular opinion but I prefer codex to serum. I'm with Simon on this one.

Now please understand I realise serum is many's dream synth and it's raved about everywhere.

Codex might be full of flaws but to a non synth guru like me it's immediately more accessible. Also there is something to the tone that I find gooey and pleasing. And thats my issue with serum. It's a monster synth with features galore but when it comes down to it I just don't like the tone :shrug:

Initially I thought it was just the factory presets (and demo limitations frustrating me from learning it better myself), but over time, and hearing sounds from absolute gurus, I see now my opinion stands as no matter what I can hear this cold very calculated digitality to it that is always present. All for digital synths here, but why don't I hear for example that sort if thing in 25 yo synths like the wavestation? Even though WS is a thin synth there is something about it's basic tone I've always loved. This is why I pick codex over serum. It might not even be half the actual product but for my ear it sounds more pleasing.
I agree with you here Theo - Codex has a very hardware-like thickness, warmth and weight to it - very rarely heard in software. The demo on the Waves page - 'Dilated' - sounds like a 90's psytrance track to me - very hardware like.
Choose the French or German filters and use a good outboard reverb. You'll get that hardware like sound out of Serum. Took me a bit to figure it out, but it's there. I still love Codex, but it's unfair to say Serum lacks in the tone department.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Choose the French or German filters and use a good outboard reverb. You'll get that hardware like sound out of Serum. Took me a bit to figure it out, but it's there. I still love Codex, but it's unfair to say Serum lacks in the tone department.
it's unfair for you to even say that. I was very careful the way i worded it and made sure it was clear that it was only my opinion. So even if Serum has the best sound in the world, and 99.99% love it, does that mean I am not allowed to dislike it's underlying tone, it's basic sound in other words? What, that's unfair? are you serious?

TheoM wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

it's unfair for you to even say that. I was very careful the way i worded it and made sure it was clear that it was only my opinion. So even if Serum has the best sound in the world, and 99.99% love it, does that mean I am not allowed to dislike it's underlying tone, it's basic sound in other words? What, that's unfair? are you serious?
No you can say what ever you want, just as I can say that I think that saying Serum lacks for a "hardware" style tone is an unfair assessment. You know, open forum. I wrote that because in my initial time demoing Serum I came to the exact same conclusion that you did, but after digging deeper into it, I totally changed my mind. Feel free not to, I don't care, but if someone is considering Serum over Codex (I feel that for $50 you should get Codex no matter what) that the story of how I changed my mind from the way you are thinking to the way I think about it now is useful.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

+1
There is something to that.
Ive tried to convince myself otherwise a number of times, but that exact sentiment just pops in my head when I use them in close proximity...
ImageImageImageImage

These things are subjective...i have it for 3 days...for BASS Sounds i have NEVER EVER
hard anything like Codex, no Diva no Monark no NOTHING! Its like Hardware.
It has life to it, its scratching, its screaming ,,i am old, very old, not digital''.

BasariStudios wrote:These things are subjective...i have it for 3 days...for BASS Sounds i have NEVER EVER
hard anything like Codex, no Diva no Monark no NOTHING! Its like Hardware.
It has life to it, its scratching, its screaming ,,i am old, very old, not digital''.

wow that's actually a really cool thing as bass is the one area i find almost every softsynth on the planet lacking!
Must check it again!

Just go thru the BASS Presets List and you'll hear what i am talking about.

zerocrossing wrote:Choose the French or German filters and use a good outboard reverb. You'll get that hardware like sound out of Serum. Took me a bit to figure it out, but it's there. I still love Codex, but it's unfair to say Serum lacks in the tone department.
Thanks for the suggestion here. I didn't even try those two filters before. Now serum sounds better for me. :lol:
musisikamar.com

Not sure WHY this was bumped, or what the hell is going here????? :lol:

Nothing wrong with the product. Nothing wrong with the price (as long as you are not paying full for it, 99 is fine)

But though "element" is terrific and doesn't overly tax the CPU, Codex is far more hungry (unless they changed something)

Good synths (both) but though I could use element regularly, codex was terrible even on my 4770k, so I sold it.

Return to “Instruments”