Waves released Greg Wells VoiceCentric

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know how long the current sale price lasts?

(AudioDeluxe is the lowest I know of on this.)

I'd say at least until Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Waves GregWells VoiceCentric does not work on Sonar X3e Producer (Build 352) x64 and Waves Support wants to remote conncet to my computer and check what's the problem. This is the second Waves plugin that I'm having some issues. The other one is Butch Vig Vocals which starts to work if I try couple of different presets. But GregWells VoiceCentric is nothing but a beautiful GUI - none of its buttons doesn't do anything, only about 6db volume increase when inserted. Nothing more.

Should I let them to remote connect? What if they frak up my whole system? Should I let them to check it out even all my other Waves plugins work and other developer's plugins as well?
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

There's nothing wrong with this plug in at all - for example the reverb has been carefully chosen - but compared to something like nectar I don't see the point.

That delay time is simply not suitable for everything and the doubler preset used is not that great IMO. It doesn't actually sound like doubling and reel adt is a much better fit for this (as is nectar).
I believe the comp is just ren vox.

Basically besides the doubler where i am unconvinced, i am have been doing my vocals that way for years anyway.. using daw plugins.

$99 on SALE? because of some big producer's name? Nah.

J4R1O wrote:Waves GregWells VoiceCentric does not work on Sonar X3e Producer (Build 352) x64 and Waves Support wants to remote conncet to my computer and check what's the problem. This is the second Waves plugin that I'm having some issues. The other one is Butch Vig Vocals which starts to work if I try couple of different presets. But GregWells VoiceCentric is nothing but a beautiful GUI - none of its buttons doesn't do anything, only about 6db volume increase when inserted. Nothing more.

Should I let them to remote connect? What if they frak up my whole system? Should I let them to check it out even all my other Waves plugins work and other developer's plugins as well?
Sure do. Usually they sort it out. All systems are different, you never know what could be a problem.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I haven't bought it, I was just curious to hear its sound (I usually check out all the new Waves plugins). I already have RVox, Reel ADT, and many other excellent plugins to use on vocals, so it's not the end of the world if VoiceCentric doesn't work on Sonar. BUT I really love the Butch Vig Vocals even I have to "shake" it well before using it. :D

Just thinking if I'm gonna face the same kind of issues with the future Waves plugins...

And what comes to Waves Support remote connecting my computer... I am REALLY scared of speaking english on the phone.
Last edited by J4R1O on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you love that Butch Vig Vocals, you're going to love this even more.
musisikamar.com

J4R1O wrote:I haven't bought it, I was just curious to hear its sound (I usually check out all the new Waves plugins). I already have RVox, Reel ADT, and many other excellent plugins to use on vocals, so it's not the end of the world if VoiceCentric doesn't work on Sonar. BUT I really love the Butch Vig Vocals even I have to "shake" it well before using it. :D

Just thinking if I'm gonna face the same kind of issues with the future Waves plugins...

And what comes to Waves Support remote connecting my computer... I am REALLY scared of speaking english on the phone.
Did you download a demo and remember to use Waves Central to license the plugin first so it would work??

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=450891

You could try my vocal plugin. my plug gives vocal a good dynamic range and presence. Only bad thing about it is that it is currently 32bit and its only for windows.

While I've moved on to Sonar Platinum, I still have X3e installed (because removing it risks losing things) and I picked up VoiceCentric on Monday (I tried the demo and it worked and I liked it, plus sale == buy). So I started X3e and gave it a try.

In Sonar X3e (thought this is with Platinum installed, so shared parts of Sonar might actually be different) it doesn't work right. The input and output gain knobs change nothing. So unless your audio comes in exactly right, the effect itself (which does do things) doesn't really work at all. A lot of its magic requires you control the input gain and output gain. On Sonar X3e those two controls don't change the sound at all. You can throw them all the way either direction and nothing changes. The big knob and the effects do seem to work (though it's hard to tell if they work "right"). In Sonar Platinum (Kingston) it seems to work just fine.

You may need to upgrade Sonar if you want to use this, sorry.
-Matt

TheoM wrote:I believe the comp is just ren vox.
Why do you believe that Theo, read something ?

The flow chart in the manual suggests there is more than a comp under the hood.

It goes like this:

Input > eq > de-esser > fast comp > slow comp > then the effects > output

cheers

simon.a.billington wrote:Did you download a demo and remember to use Waves Central to license the plugin first so it would work??
Of course. :)

msorrels wrote:You may need to upgrade Sonar if you want to use this, sorry.
I only demoed/tried it - and it didn't work on Sonar X3 so I am not gonna buy it, obviously. I already have lots of good plugins to use on vocals. I was just curious.

Next year there will be new plugins that don't work on Sonar if you don't upgrade. That's the way it goes and that's the way they get our money.

Oh okay, a bit odd that its not working. Usually thats a result of people mixing versions of are plugins, 9.3+ with anything earlier.

Thes plugins all reference a common underlying framework. With each revision, they do things like fix bugs, improve performance, introduce new features, etc. The old plugins won't know what to do with the new code, so it usually ends in instability, bugs, laggy performance and plugins not working altogether.

So it becomes very unwise to mix versions. Not saying this is your issue, but it has been for soooooo many I find on these types of pages.

So when you do a new installation, make sure you update the old plugins as well... thats my advice to EVERYONE.

I wouldn't worry about a remote connection. I understand these guys to be pretty savvy. Once they can lay their eyes on the actual problem, usually it becomes much easier for them to solve. In the same way a mechanic can more easily solve a car problem once they manage to get their hands on it.

Beatworld wrote:
TheoM wrote:I believe the comp is just ren vox.
Why do you believe that Theo, read something ?

The flow chart in the manual suggests there is more than a comp under the hood.

It goes like this:

Input > eq > de-esser > fast comp > slow comp > then the effects > output

cheers

Yeah its soon not a Ren Comp, you can compare the two. There is a huge, dramatic difference. As is is with many other processes you might want to compare against VocalCentric.

If you do enough digging on line you can get a general idea of what Greg like to do with his vocals and it pretty much falls inline with what the plugin does, albeit, it does it much more simply.

Its a chain of processes and Waves have even be known to do some extra modelling so that they can replicate their chains as closely as possible.

I've only seen youtubes/vids where a raw vocal is routed to VoiceCentric. Is there any point in trying to get the best processing first, then routing the result to the plug-in?

Thanks -

Return to “Effects”