One Synth Challenge #82: BR808 (Zendorf Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BR808

ghettosynth wrote:I just wanted to report that I found the sliders to control the screen color immediately intuitive.
Changing the color of the synth is half the battle :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:Well, then I'm afraid I have no choice but to bow out this month because this thing is beyond me.

Shame, because it looks like it had a lot of potential.

Did you manage to get the GUI to load? If so, check out these youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRug2vUBPQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvbMUTXNgfs

That should get you up to speed on some of the rudimentary stuff

Tjgoa wrote:After a few minutes -- this thing is complex but pleasantly so. So many options and quite easy to get good sounds. Love it!! Thanks for bringing yet another beauty to my attention. Wag- you have to activate the adsr or envelope in the modulation matrix. For the env (multi-point), be sure to click the active button to use. Nice sounds so far!!

Are there presets?

Check this out: http://zabumba.free.fr/archives/61_presets_tinga.fxb
[Source: http://forums.jeskola.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172]

bjporter wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I just wanted to report that I found the sliders to control the screen color immediately intuitive.
Changing the color of the synth is half the battle :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:Well, then I'm afraid I have no choice but to bow out this month because this thing is beyond me.

Shame, because it looks like it had a lot of potential.

Did you manage to get the GUI to load? If so, check out these youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRug2vUBPQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvbMUTXNgfs

That should get you up to speed on some of the rudimentary stuff

I can only get it to load in MuLab but I don't have a license for it and it only allows 5 instances of the VST so no way to make a track with that limitation.

I'll see you guys in January.

I managed to get sound out of it, and even get the envelopes to work. They are nice for an old synth, but ohmygod who in their right mind would pay for something like this? Maybe the payed version came with a few complimentary visits from your local dominatrix?

What a chore!

Oh, because I'm all about being helpful, it works just fine in the 64 bit version of Reaper on Win7, FYI.

wagtunes wrote:Shame, because it looks like it had a lot of potential.
It really does. #@$#@ awesome. :shock:

Win, 32-bit, temperamental, no doubt unstable and a complete mystery at first glance. However, the tone carving capabilities are huge. I like it for OSC.

EDIT: Thought I might start out with Geist Flavour :hihi:

Well, JBridge made it so that the GUI loads and I can get a sound out of it but beyond changing the waveform this thing has me stumped. Nothing seems to work the way I expect it to.

Still haven't figured out how to automate, use the supersaw thingy, sync, or load presets without having only to click the next button. I don't see an overview of all the patch names. Furthermore, after hitting the next button, seems you have to click set to channel to activate the preset?

Once I get that, I should be good to go. Some very nice sounds though, the filters are quite nice and there are tons of distortion options. Wish they have more parameters to adjust hte type of synthesis though, Iall i see is feeback for even phase distion, am, etc -- surely there'd be some parameters dedicated to each mode - no?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I want to know what the speech tab does?

ghettosynth wrote:I want to know what the speech tab does?
Noticed that too, seems she can sing -- is this allowed? :hihi:

Also, for glide to work:
You must set "Max polyphony" to 1 (or set the mono operation mode per MIDI controller 126), and set the "Carry" checkboxes active, to make your instrument monophonic to use the Glide feature.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Okay, I finally figured this beast out.

Here's a tip for anybody wanting to control filter cutoff via mod wheel.

First off, there is no "modwheel" option in the mod matrix. You need to pick controller and set it to 001.

For low pass filter, after you've done this, with the mod wheel all the way down, you will notice there is no sound (assuming you loaded a sawtooth wave as a starting point). If you go to filters, you will see that there is a from and to HZ option. The from defaults to 20 which you can't hear. Change this to something like 250 and even at the lowest modwheel position, you will hear some sound.

This kind of reminds me of MUX and how their filters work.

A lot of the controls there are no sliders to change values. You have to actually type in the numbers.

Only thing I'm still kind of stuck on is the envelopes. The response on attack, decay and release (setting sustain to on) seem kind of wonky. The velocity sensitivity is really great on this thing. Linear and exponential settings (among a few) have wide effects on the sound.

There are no presets in this thing that I can find so everything will have to be programmed from scratch. Drums are going to be a challenge for me if I can't get these envelopes figured out.

Once I have them conquered I'll be good to go.

JBridge is holding its own so far.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Speech synth seems pretty damn awesome. Turn on in Instruments/Channel/Speech then type stuff in in Instruments/Speech and play some notes. I'm still trying to get it to say Hello World and not World Hello.

Okay, figured out the envelopes and velocity sensitivity. The default is exp^2 which is very touch sensitive. If you want a more smooth sound, especially playing leads, set it to linear.

Only thing I haven't gotten to work (which probably doesn't matter as I am sure it won't be allowed anyway) is the sample load. I load a sample, change the oscillator to sample but get no sound. I've made sure the sample number matches the sample number of the load but still nothing. I know I'm missing something but without a manual I won't figure this out.

But like I said, doesn't matter because I'm sure samples won't be allowed, correct?

For presets, load a fxb through your host, to see and select from list, click the number window to the left of the arrows that switches presets. Now for automation and activating the super saw...

TTU Youtube

Not sure if it's a saw but you can select SuperOsc from the waveform selector to make use of the multicount detuned thingy in the box. Samples can be played by selecting the Sample waveform too.

LhaastDaiz wrote:Not sure if it's a saw but you can select SuperOsc from the waveform selector to make use of the multicount detuned thingy in the box.

They are a bit strange sounding, but with a bit of reverb can be quite usable
LhaastDaiz wrote:Samples can be played by selecting the Sample waveform too.

true... but :uhuhuh:

Return to “Instruments”