Gate Reverb, Reverse Gate ... what are the best choices in the current market ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For these purposes i own three reverbs that can do the job quite convincingly, with their strong and weak points

All of them can be synchronise to the host tempo

- Valhalla übermod :
very nice sounding, but become unusable on longest durations because the taps not getting dense enough for a properly called gate reverb or reverse gate

- UVI Relayer :
very nice too and precise work, but IMO, you'll need to find an appropriate IR at later stage to blurr the delay taps

- Tone2 Ultraspace :
not necessarily the best sounding but probably the most effective on that purpose, also a few issue with delay taps but solved with the detune parameter at a certain degree

...i^ve also made some gate reverb effect with the non linear mode of Valhalla VintageVerb, but this unit doesn't allow tempo synchronization

for the one who use these effects in their productions, what would you recommend and why ?
Last edited by Krakatau on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

If you need a qyick way to get timing in valhallavintageverb you could use something like these handy tools.

http://musiccalculator.com
:borg:

i wondering how the big companies on that market (lexicon, eventide, perhaps exponential audio, etc...) handle these peculiar types of effects

I agree with the previous poster to use a music calculator if you want reverbs that are synchronized to tempo. IMO, the best reverbs on the market only have millisecond-based time controls.

You mentioned Exponential Audio, and I think they do have this covered very well. R2 has a gate built in and is also a fantastic sounding reverb. It covers a lot of the Lexicon ground since it's coded by the same programmer; I think the UI is a lot more friendly though on R2. You can also adjust the reverb envelope to give the reverse sound — just crank up the envelope attack/envelope time and you can get that classic sound.

If you are really hoping for tempo sync, I'd recommend taking a look at Excalibur. It's a fantastic multi-effects plug but it also has reverb available. I believe all time parameters can be set in either ms or tempo, and I saw some vintage snare reverb type presets as well. The new V2 beta is supposed to add some more tempo tools. (I wouldn't get it primarily as a reverb but it's great as a Swiss Army knife effects box.)

No affiliation with EA, just a happy customer. The 30% off sale is still going.

Nick

I can't deny that using a music calculator is always useful, but it won't be usuable if your song is using continuous tempo change (eccelerando, ralentendo)

Excalibur seems an excellent indication, that said...

for this sort of reverb breverb 2 is the best.

It has great verb all round but I kept it vs my uad ones just because of the reverse algorithm (which can be temposynced, as can the gate) and the gate.

It's on special right now and worth every penny. I remember another reverb designer even saying to me, "wow that reverse algorithm really is good"

Krakatau wrote:i wondering how the big companies on that market (lexicon, eventide, perhaps exponential audio, etc...) handle these peculiar types of effects
This could be one to look into, as I know for a fact the Eventide Space reverb pedal can do some out-of-this-world stuff:
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... /blackhole

I would love to see Strymon enter the plugin game. I have their TimeLine Delay and BigSky Reverb pedals, which are amazingly creative.

Check this out - this is just a few settings in one mode of this beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsIyzLxmP1o

Wow, impressive sounding to me! Are there any freebies that cover this type of effect?
John
"B4serenity"

Best option is EA R2.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

:idea:

As far as i can see, this very peculiar area could be a potential challenge for developers : tempo-based non linear reverbs than can handle tempo variations in real-time without glitches

...and at the best even without glitches AND pitch distuning during continuous tempo change,
(you know : not being pitched up during acceleration or pitched down while decelerating)

BasariStudios wrote:Best option is EA R2.

what does it do better than breverb's reverse module? Breverb can do everything in that hardware video.

does ear verb 2 add extra features?

TheoM wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:Best option is EA R2.

what does it do better than breverb's reverse module? Breverb can do everything in that hardware video.

does ear verb 2 add extra features?
i think he said Exponentional Audio R2

Yes i mean't Exponential Audio, the thing is, they are both high end Reverbs, Phoenix too,
R2 already has a Gate in it self. They are probably the best Sounding Algos.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Ok I must be missing something then as i could not get the sort of pure reverse reverb out of R2 like I can with the breverb reverse algorithm.

Also, is the R2 gate tempo synced? I tried it when it very first came out i will admit which is why i ask if things have changed.

You claimed R2 was the best for this type of sound, which is basically a special effect, can you provide any example at all or a preset patch?

TheoM wrote:Ok I must be missing something then as i could not get the sort of pure reverse reverb out of R2 like I can with the breverb reverse algorithm.

Also, is the R2 gate tempo synced?
Everything is in msecs so any tempo syncing would have to be done manually. If tempo sync is really important, I think Excalibur would be a great fit as it is aimed toward special effects and can certainly pull off many reverb/delay sounds. The new beta version allows more tempo controls (note values instead of ratios) and I believe it will follow the DAW tempo changes if desired. That would probably save a lot of automation.

TheoM, can you perhaps post an example of the sound you are talking about? Different people mean different things and this is a sound some of us may not use a lot (I don't, but I think it's cool). I can see if it's possible to match the sound in R2 or do something similar.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pure reverse reverb," but to me the "reverse" is referring to the envelope. Meaning the attack is reversed to where it "fades in" — but to a more extreme degree than perhaps a large hall. If you take the setting all the way, it usually sounds like an abrupt fade in, followed by a sudden stop. The envelope time can obviously be adjusted to control the length of the effect. I don't believe there would be any decay time really, but I'd have to test it.

I really like the way the envelope can be edited in the Exponential Audio reverbs. You can actually do this with both the early reflections and the main reverb, so there are two envelopes that can be adjusted. It will work in PhoenixVerb as well as R2. Turning the diffusion down can pronounce the effect as well. R2 is already pretty grainy so diffusion may have to stay up.

The other method for doing this (in R2) would be to use a regular longer reverb with a normal envelope/decay, and use the gate to put a sudden stop to it. Similar effect but different sound. Of course, the two could be used together for a unique sound.

Again, this is just from memory as I don't use this technique much, but it would be fun to all use the same sample snare hit (or whatever) and to see what we can get all of these reverbs to do! :party:

Nick

Return to “Effects”