Win 10 "deletes" your software if it doesn't like it

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
incubus wrote:My apologies, but I've heard so many people over the years try and blame "the user" over this stuff I just felt the need to say something. Yeah, users can be idiots, no doubt. But when it happens to a group of people, clearly it's not simply-inthebox the user.
To be totally honest, in many cases, it is the user indeed. The example in this thread with the reverted privacy settings, which happen to be a bug in the update, and the update was pulled, and the user argued that it's intended, and to snoop him out, shows that very well.
I don't think it was a bug...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I don't think it was a bug...
If its a bug, theyre complete morons. If its done on purpose theyre evil and they wanted to get that dump of info you didnt want them to have.

Evil or Stupid, pick one.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Microsoft says:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3121244
When the November update was installed, a few settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained for advertising ID, Background apps, SmartScreen Filter, and Sync with devices. This issue has been fixed in the update that accompanies KB3120677.

xNiMiNx wrote:
If its a bug, theyre complete morons. If its done on purpose theyre evil and they wanted to get that dump of info you didnt want them to have.

So everyone who develops buggy software is a moron yeah? Good news for the software developers in the world, you are all morons. It still puzzles me that people think MS does a comprehensive first boot wizard where the users can set up all the privacy settings, just to revert all those with an update. Talking about moronic assupmtions and theories.

Anyway, out of this stupid thread, waste of time really.

xNiMiNx wrote:

It was meant as a bit of a tinfoil hat joke but.. yeah, there could be truth in it.. I guess we'll never know for sure. What I was thinking was that they might have thought 'no one's going to notice that..' but then folks did and all of a sudden it became a 'bug'. Hmm

If it was a bug, QA should have picked it up.

If it wasn't a bug....

I don't know which of these alternatives I find more disconcerting.

Getting a new labtop soon. What should I do to maximize privacy, remove ALL ads, and stop any updates? Or I just remove it and go to win 7 again or linux.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

chk071 wrote:So everyone who develops buggy software is a moron yeah? Good news for the software developers in the world, you are all morons. It still puzzles me that people think MS does a comprehensive first boot wizard where the users can set up all the privacy settings, just to revert all those with an update. Talking about moronic assupmtions and theories.

Anyway, out of this stupid thread, waste of time really.
Yes, a software developer who has been around for as long as microsoft, who has gotten so much flak over privacy in this latest version, not noticing (through all that insider testing) that privacy settings were lost, is a moron.

Thats some cool dance moves you have there, bringing in 'all developers'.

We are in a thread dealing with Windows 10, and 'bugged' updates that 'revert' privacy settings.

Clearly they arent doing much testing, and this insider program is turning out to be a total joke. scanhealth restorehealth scanhealth restorehealth scanhealth restorehealth

BTW, hows your cbs.log? Nice and clean? Cool! :D

It still puzzles me that people think MS coded all this data collection and set up servers to collect it, only to let people disable it.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Boiling frogs...
ImageImageImageImage

Eye of newt
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Well, 1511 update didn't like keyboard and touchpad drivers on my wife's laptop, so it deleted them. Hat's off Microsoft. :bang:

Windows 10 EULA: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterm ... nglish.htm
Microsoft Privacy Statement: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/
Microsoft Services Agreement: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

I simply can't agree with those, so I'm fairly confident this Windows 7 computer I have now is the last Windows machine I will have.

I mean, they want my Name and contact data, Credentials, Demographic data, Interests and favorites, Payment data, Usage data, Contacts and relationships, Location data and Content. After that, they'll also encrypt my hard drive (I'd really like that) but only if they can have the password?! That's just ridiculous even from safety point-of-view -- how good is disk encryption if the password can be had by managing to bypass their service's (where they're keeping all my personal data) password reset process? It's entirely useless. Except of course they reserve the right to give that password away.

After that they have the audacity to tell me "Don’t do anything illegal". Seriously? I can't use Windows 10 to order cannabis seeds? That's just ridiculous, they're a software company, not the law enforcement officers of my country.

And not for resale? In this time and age?

I understand a lot of what they do is a trade: I give them my privacy and I get a relatively streamlined computer environment. But I'm just not sure why I would like to do that. I already have a streamlined computer environment. My country has relatively strict legislation about privacy and privacy of communications, I see no reason why I would give an american software company more rights over me than my government has. Even with going through all their privacy settings doesn't seem to actually stop the data collection, it just uses it differently (such as showing random ads instead of targeted ones).

Plus I just don't like the idea. They're changing the culture of computing by what they're doing. What's happening is only preparing for what happens when Windows 7 and 8.1 start fading out about five years from now. After that, they can fully start forcing their targeted advertisement on people. They create incentives for software developers to put their software on their store, so that the developers get wider audience and advertisement revenue, combined with the fact that they're already started to remove software that is not verified and installed through their store. I don't like it either that they're making it function so that there's much more demand for bandwidth as computers start sending them data they really shouldn't be collecting. It's a physical resource and they're taking a bigger slice of it for their benefit.

ras.s wrote:I simply can't agree with those, so I'm fairly confident this Windows 7 computer I have now is the last Windows machine I will have.
I won't even go to W7. Vista's run rock solid for me since 2008 and has no privacy concerns I'm aware of. 7 now seems to be a gateway to W10 with nags and reminders to 'update'. I don't get any of that with Vista. If I really have to make a move I'm just going to have to become an Apple user.. are there any similar privacy concerns with osx? (question to anyone)

do_androids_dream wrote:
ras.s wrote:I simply can't agree with those, so I'm fairly confident this Windows 7 computer I have now is the last Windows machine I will have.
I won't even go to W7. Vista's run rock solid for me since 2008 and has no privacy concerns I'm aware of. 7 now seems to be a gateway to W10 with nags and reminders to 'update'. I don't get any of that with Vista. If I really have to make a move I'm just going to have to become an Apple user.. are there any similar privacy concerns with osx? (question to anyone)

...in my defense, I was still using Vista a few months ago. Then I was gifted a second-hand laptop that is slightly more powerful than that computer was. Various Microsoft services aren't so deeply integrated into 7 as they are in 10, so I'm still somewhat out of the muddiest waters. Vista is/was great on many fronts, but for instance Bitwig wouldn't install on it.

I'll probably go back to Linux full-time.

As for Apple concerns, well I'm not an Apple user so others probably know better, but my understanding is that they're better with privacy than Microsoft. They do collect data and share some of it with third parties, but privacy remains one of their selling points. Even then, there are other issues with them, such as planned obsolescence of their products. And I'd be more wary of the agreements of using their other applications and services, such as Itunes, Safari and iCloud.

http://www.apple.com/privacy/
http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/
http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

do_androids_dream wrote:
Turn windows update on and see what happens then? They really screwed up Vista with some of their updates, insanely long boot times and system instability. And Apple is hardly a bastion.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”