Can Patchwork run Valhalla plugins?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brand new to Patchwork, fired it up for the first time yesterday. I loaded several plugs, including Valhalla Ubermod, and the Valhalla licensing dialog opened, not once, but many many times, until Patchwork crashed. FWIW, I have a license for Ubermod, and it loads without problems in Studio One.

Has anyone else run into this? I searched this forum for 'Valhalla' and saw a couple of hits, which implies that at least some people have used at least some of their stuff in Patchwork.

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. another user had the issue on Windows, and the solution was to run the PatchWork app as an administrator (I guess you are running the standalone app, right?). For some reason it looks like these plug-ins require admin rights to get the license information.

Interesting, I'll try that, and yes I am on Windows (7 Pro). I do run Studio One as admin, just to avoid distracting bs, so it makes sense it'd be ok and Patchwork not if that's the issue. I'll ping Sean about this too.

Just double checked our code, and part of the issue may indeed be on our end: the fact that the window is repeated indefinitely until getting a crash. The fact that the plug-in does not find the license is however another problem. But I am thinking: if Studio One is running as admin and PatchWork is not, then it is maybe expected that the license is not found (I guess it is registered only for a single user on the machine).

Thanks for digging into that. I've let Valhalla know about that in the thread I started in their forum, so they probably don't need to try to find that piece.

I've asked in their forum why the license failure in the first place, but the solution may boil down to just running Patchwork as admin (or maybe documenting install in more detail?), rather than chasing if further.

Thanks again, keep me posted.

Finally got a chance to try running Patchwork as admin, and it was quite repeatable: Running it as admin, my Valhallas were fine. Without admin rights, the license dlg recursed endlessly until Patchwork crashed.

So then I tried running Studio One not as admin, and all Valhalla plugins didn't think they were licensed. I pointed them to their auth file, then they were fine. I then tried Patchwork not as admin again, and the Valhallas were fine.

From this I conclude:
- The Valhalla plugins need to be authorized separately for running as admin and not. I doubt that's intentional, but maybe it is.
- Patchwork doesn't handle Valhalla's license dlg well, gets caught in a recursive loop.

Hi,

This is indeed what I suspected. For the first item, I think this is expected: licensing is usually stored per user. For the second item, we have something that should probably fix it. We'll let you know as soon as a new build is available.

Re the first, you're right. I think I unconsciously thought of 'Run as Administrator' like a quick magic trick to get the system to let down its UAC guard, but in reality, it's running as a different actual user, one that happens to have elevated permissions.

Re the second, let me know where there's an updated build. Running it as the same user I run my DAW as makes this less of an issue, but stability is good in general.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”