MIDI Controller Recommendations?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now that I am a RapidComposer user I am really getting into using sample libraries in my songs. I bought an Acorn Masterkey 25 just to have a very basic controller (actually got it free to sign up for a credit card that I have never used even once!) But now I am wanting to have a little more control using keyswitches and a wider range of keys without having to switch octaves all the time. Here are my criteria,

- strictly studio use; no live performing with it
- I want USB; I do NOT need MIDI in or out or through
- I am not a keyboardist so I will be relying heavily on my libraries and DAW/MIDI editor
- pretty sure I want 61 keys but do not know enough to prefer any specific type of action
- "velocity-sensitive" sure sounds nice/important but I would not know how to select a controller for this feature
- in addition to the 61 keys, I want at least Pitchbend, Mod Wheel, Octave and Transpose
- prefer to spend $200 or less
- don't care about any included software

I looked at Sweetwater and Amazon and kinda liked the Nektar Impact LX61 ($200) and its little brother Nektar Impact iX61 ($120). But there are so many to choose from it is easy to get overwhelmed. Like, even between these two models I have no idea why I would need the extra sliders, knobs and pads the LX61 provides for the extra $80. And I wonder if the 61 key section is the same on both models?

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Nektar have quickly established themselves as good quality product and have developed quite a large fan base already.

I have never used one so cannot vouch for how good it is and does what they claim. I can only say the reviews are good so I think you are making a good choice.

Other good choices are Roland, m-Audio, Novation, etc....but I know this is not helping you decide.

The best advice I can offer is, BEFORE you make the decision to buy based on a picture or someone else's words, go to a store and demo them - as many as they have. This is really the ONLY to know if a product is right for you.

There is a difference in how they feel under your fingers. There is a difference in response to your touch. There is a difference in layouts and how this relates to work flow.

This is especially true at your price range. Not saying you need to up your budget but typically lower cost models feel and respond to a lesser degree.

I am keen on demoing whenever possible. It helps to keep you from being sorry later.

Regarding "I have no idea why I would need the extra sliders, knobs and pads the LX61 provides for the extra $80" -

What are now feeling is growing pains. At this time, yes, you cannot see a reason to have the extras. The same as your current model satisfied your needs at the time.

But now you are in need of more options.

That's your reason for affording those extras, if you can afford the price difference. You never know what down the road has in store for you.

At some point you will know why you need those knobs and sliders, maybe sooner than you think. You may wish you had gone that route. I also advocate future proofing whenever possible.

Be sure to check and make sure what ever you choose will work with your system and software.

Good luck with your decisions!

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Can you describe little bit your work style? And how many keys? What is your maximum price?
I'm not sure which to recommend (without answers), so I'll leave you website with good descriptions and reviews. For sure you will find something for you. http://bestmidicontroller.co (http://bestmidicontroller.co)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”