Core Usage

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am new to Shreddage and Kontakt. So I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I'm curious if I could get some leads on where to investigate.

I'm using logic 9 and have a project open with two instances of Kontakt. One has 2 instances of Shreddage 2 and the other has 2 instances of Shreddage 2 and Shreddage drums.

I'm using a lot of bussing and have no more than 3fx on any channel strip.

But for some reason my CPU Usage is almost pinned to the max. And I see that only 2 of my 8 cores is being used and 1 one of those 2 is doing 90% of the work. So basically 1 core is being over-utilized.

Has anyone experienced this? Most of the advice I see online indicates using busses to spread out FX but I'm pretty spread out already.

I also have an Aux audio track selected as I've read that having an instrument track selected can cause this issue.

I'm attaching a screen shot of my mixer. Any thoughts on how to isolate the issue would be appreciated, although I do realize the issue isn't necessarily with Shreddage. I'm just grasping at straws at this point.
Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 10.07.55 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There are a bunch of things related to core / CPU optimization...

On a broad level, we (as developers of Kontakt instruments) can't affect how each DAW splits processing among cores. That's something the DAW does as it interacts with Kontakt itself. So, anything related to multi-core usage applies to ANY Kontakt library, or really any plugin within Logic.

How each DAW splits the processing varies. Logic is unfortunately known for having some difficulty with multicore processing. If you do a Google search for "Logic only using one core Kontakt" you will see tons of forum threads all over the internet. A lot of composers that use Logic also use software like "Vienna Ensemble Pro" which lets them host their plugins on a PC system, as this setup distributes the resource usage most evenly. But let's get to the practical stuff.

Apple published a guide on how to best utilize multiple cores on the Logic level, although it sounds like you're already distributing loads pretty well from track to track. Using separate Kontakt instances sounds like the way to go, as opposed to multiple instruments within one: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201838

One common issue seems to be that if you have a Kontakt track enabled to record, Logic will revert to using one core.. or something like that? It's a little confusing to me, but from that article:

"It's a good idea to keep a track that uses an Audio channel strip selected in the Arrange window, unless you're actively playing or recording to a Software Instrument."

Now, within Kontakt, try going to Options and then Engine. If Multiprocessor Support is OFF, try turning it ON, and vice versa. Sometimes plugins actually behave WORSE with this on so it's not always a good idea, but it's worth trying.

Related to Shreddage Drums - most of the onboard FX are not CPU intensive, but the reverb can be. Once you have a patch you like, check the FX buttons for each channel (Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, etc... including Master) and make sure the reverb is turned off. The reverb is convolution based which sounds great, but it does eat CPU.

Failing all that, increasing your buffer size can help as well.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I have experienced high CPU usage on Logic when RAM is almost fully used. Actually whole OS X is slowed down if all RAM is used. I made the rookie mistake of loading multiple big Kontakt libraries with all samples loaded for every instance. So it was trying to hold all the samples in the memory, even though only small fraction of the samples were actually used.

After I discovered the art of purging samples, the CPU usage dropped.

Maybe someday I'll investigate the Kontakt's memory server option. It should prevent things like this.

Hi Zircon,

Thank you for your post and your help. I did try what you mentioned without any improvement. Your suggestion for what to google helped a TON.

Check this out:
https://vsl.co.at/community/posts/t2606 ... post172273

What the thread basically says is that Logic is the culprit. It takes multi-out plug-ins and forces them all on to one bus. So I took my Shreddage Instances and spread them all out over multiple contact instances. So 1 S2 guitar per Kontakt. Logic is now spreading things out properly.

I'm still able to get all the benefit of Shreddage, just need to split it up more.

What a HUGE and disappointing bug within Logic. It looks like this has been an ongoing issue for a long time for a lot of people and I"m very surprised they haven't fixed it. Its a pretty major problem.

Unless I"m missing something!

That being said, I love the sound of Shreddage 2 and Shreddage Drums. I'm a total noob with it and just my test track sounds great already.

Thanks again.
Nick
Last edited by Activate101 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi NBD, I will try your purging suggestion as well to see if it helps.

nbd wrote:I have experienced high CPU usage on Logic when RAM is almost fully used. Actually whole OS X is slowed down if all RAM is used. I made the rookie mistake of loading multiple big Kontakt libraries with all samples loaded for every instance. So it was trying to hold all the samples in the memory, even though only small fraction of the samples were actually used.

After I discovered the art of purging samples, the CPU usage dropped.

Maybe someday I'll investigate the Kontakt's memory server option. It should prevent things like this.
fun fact time

the reason your PC slows down when you are close to using all of your RAM is because the operating system (OS) is starting to make use of what's known as a Page File (PF). A PF is, to put it simply, extra "RAM" preserved on your storage drive. Due to technical differences in RAM vs long-term storage like a hard drive, getting access to this PF is EXTREMELY slow. This puts strain on almost every part of your system as a result. Modern OSes have gotten better at deciding what stuff is unimportant enough to put on the PF, but if you really go overboard with RAM usage, you will notice a huge slowdown.

Activate101, if you were using 75% or more of your RAM in your current setup, then purging samples should make a noticeable difference. You'll notices some clicks, clacks, and delays when you play a sample that has been purged (because it now loads that sample back into RAM) but after the first time, it will sound smooth.

Upgrading to Logic X fixed the problem. All multi out instances of Kontakt get their own core now. I can now run Shreddage drums in one instance and quad track Shreddage 2 in another. Sounds amazing!!!!!!

Shreddage 2 is amazing. Literally a dream come true.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”