EQ Stereo Widener

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thought I'd pay a little forward to the productive members of the forum.

My creation aims to widen the stereo image without using chorus, flanger, etc. which can add mud to the stereo image.

This effect works by:
  • - Spliting the signal into two mono signals (Left and Right)
    - A peak filter is used on each side to set the desired frequency and resonance.
    - Moving the "balance" control to the left will turn up the gain for the peak filter on the left side and turn it down on the right side.
    - I added the "Width" fader to allow for more subtle changes. (FYI: Going into negative numbers will simply swap left and right - I couldn't find a workaround for this)
There are 2 files included:
  • - A single "module" as described above
    - An assembly of 4 modules in one, which is more practical for every-day use.
Let me know what you think ... feedback is appreciated and I'll take it into consideration in future versions ;-)

BR
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thank you very much for these gylstorff

I might be fun to try the same arrangement using Mid/Side splitters/combiners. There's no easy way to do it, though, AFAIK.

pljones wrote:I might be fun to try the same arrangement using Mid/Side splitters/combiners. There's no easy way to do it, though, AFAIK.
Interesting idea. I think I can actually achive that as ...

- Side = L - R
- Center = L + R

I'll look into it :)

Well made!!
Thanks.

By the way, a Mid/Side thingy is in the factory effects folder MonoStereo.

I have done a mono2stereo version using delays, which is nothing but a static flanger with plenty of notches. Where a notch is on one side the other side is full signal and vice versa. Surprisingly, for me, this adds up in mono without any phase or gain issues, but it does sound(!) a bit like the static flanger it is. (see the same factory effects folder)

Very off topic:
Looking at this it reminds me of a filter bank. Does anyone own a hardware filter bank? Sherman or something? I tried to use peak or band pass filters to make a filter bank, but i never got results that sounds like one.
Obviously i am missing something. I want to understand these things. Any enlightenment is appreciated.

gylstorff wrote:- I added the "Width" fader to allow for more subtle changes. (FYI: Going into negative numbers will simply swap left and right - I couldn't find a workaround for this)
BR
Thomas
The workaround for the negative numbers would be to put the Width as meta parameter, like you have done it with the Gain parameter. Set the minimum to 0 in the meta param setup and you are done.
I do it in the single version patch, that way you only have to do it once.

Return to “MUTOOLS”