IK and Gavin Lurssen set to unveil revolutionary mastering product at NAMM 2016

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mean DMG Audio Limitless :)

I'm not a fan of multiband anything but this limiter has gone a long way to help change my mind!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

hm... since I do not read a lot on GS, this was totally not on my radar. I'm really curious what Dave Gamble created this time around.

And.. he has a sense of humor :tu:
from gearslutz wrote:(NB: This is for Mac and PC. iOS is not supported!)

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, djscorb.
Still don't like multiband solutions (especially in times of Loudness Normalization), but I get where Dave Gamble is coming from:
Dave Gamble on gearslutz about DMG Audio Limitless wrote:Years ago (before loudness standards), I might have pointed out that this means you can get things louder without sounding distorted, but nowadays I'll just say it makes for increased transparency. It means that if what you want is your audio to sound the same, just louder, you can have that.
This is why I like to use Limiter No6 by vladg for "really loud sh*t", and ToneBoosters Barricade for moderate loud material (with or without the multiband matrix, usually without). And these tools are really(!) affordable and (once more) IMO more flexible than an all-in one solution with a fancy GUI.

But then again - I said it before - the curse of being an Audio Engineer.
(looking to close under the hood, understanding tools, knowing how to efficiently use them, etc)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

nm

fmr wrote:I am really getting pissed by this. If it's the same application, the costs are the same, so why should I pay 299 to run it in Windows or Mac OS, while if I run it in iOS I can have it for just 99?

When the applications wre not the same, and we were talking about cutdown, I could accept that, but being the same, I think companies have to start thinking better about their price policies. Either they can sell it for 99 (and in that case, the price has to be the same for ANY platform), or they can't, and in that case, the iOS app has to be priced the same.
This in swathes.

Heartfeltdawn wrote:
fmr wrote:I am really getting pissed by this. If it's the same application, the costs are the same, so why should I pay 299 to run it in Windows or Mac OS, while if I run it in iOS I can have it for just 99?

When the applications wre not the same, and we were talking about cutdown, I could accept that, but being the same, I think companies have to start thinking better about their price policies. Either they can sell it for 99 (and in that case, the price has to be the same for ANY platform), or they can't, and in that case, the iOS app has to be priced the same.
This in swathes.
But on a desktop you can have 10 mastering chains running in parallel for a 10x betterer result, whereas on mobile you can only really run one at a time. :D
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kbaccki wrote:
Heartfeltdawn wrote:

This in swathes.
But on a desktop you can have 10 mastering chains running in parallel for a 10x betterer result, whereas on mobile you can only really run one at a time. :D
What do you mean? That we should pay for the number of instances we are able to run at the same time? So, if I can run 20 in my computer, should I pay 20 times the price? :?

The product is the same, so, why is the price different?

I remember feeling robbed in the 80s because Macs were so much more expensive in Europe than they were in the US (like two times more expensive) for no reason I could think of.
Fernando (FMR)

Like most youtube videos the 1/3 rule applies, that is, you can skip to about 1/3 in on the video and not miss anything, but, even though I have zero interest in this, I think that the product is at least a better concept than the waves one-knob job.

I like that you can see the chain, but the fact that you can tells me a lot. It tells me that, as I suspected, that the best mastering engineers are not using anything all that esoteric in terms of routing, e.g., no complex parallel chains. The video mirrored much of what I learned from reading Bob Katz' book, which, I would argue for most home studio guys, is a better investment than any mastering processor.

I also think that for a lot of home studio guys, mastering on the iPad might have value for the portability reason. I don't think that the push feature is all that interesting in and of itself, I would just do that with an intermediary gain, and yes, I get that it's not identical to using the EQ owing to modeling in the EQ, but, I wouldn't be able to hear the difference, so the difference is moot.

What I like most about it though is that there is no pretense that Gavin is sitting in his studio full of expensive gear using this, he's using the real thing, as I suspect that his clients expect.

It was a decent demonstration and I think that the choice of control left to the user is reasonable.

Ok, sorry, but after years and years and years of trying to watch videos that "describe" products I have one comment.

Shut up and let the product talk for itself.

It was a long boring drone that had very little audio quality that allowed us to be blown away.

That being said, it looks as though (though really tough to tell for sure) that you can "push" w/o a lot of crap. Dunno for sure because they actual audio quality here is shit.

Anyways, I'm still interested in this product. But that is a boring and uninspiring vid. Feel free to dismiss my opinion like everything else :hihi:

Every morning I wake up and feel how the world is changed.

My coffee is darker. My neighbours smile more. Food is cheaper and tastes better. People work less, laugh more. Cars are gone, chinese don't need gas masks when they leave their houses. For all this we have to thank the heroes of the Great Revolution, Guvin Larssen and IK Multimedia Speakers Ltd.

Coming next from IK Multimedia Romplers Ltd and Famous Conductor Staffan Hanssen- Revolutionary Complete Symphonic Orchestra on your iPhone! Get the intricate articulations, powerful dynamics and sensational acoustics of the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra in your pocket!

Every morning I wake up and feel how the world is changed.

My coffee is darker. My neighbours smile more. Food is cheaper and tastes better. People work less, laugh more. Cars are gone, chinese don't need gas masks when they leave their houses. For all this we have to thank the heroes of the Great Revolution, Guvin Larssen and IK Multimedia Speakers Ltd.

Coming next from IK Multimedia Romplers Ltd and Famous Conductor Staffan Hanssen- Revolutionary Complete Symphonic Orchestra on your iPhone! Get the intricate articulations, powerful dynamics and sensational acoustics of the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra in your pocket!

ghettosynth wrote: Like most youtube videos the 1/3 rule applies, that is, you can skip to about 1/3 in on the video and not miss anything, but, even though I have zero interest in this, I think that the product is at least a better concept than the waves one-knob job.

I like that you can see the chain, but the fact that you can tells me a lot. It tells me that, as I suspected, that the best mastering engineers are not using anything all that esoteric in terms of routing, e.g., no complex parallel chains. The video mirrored much of what I learned from reading Bob Katz' book, which, I would argue for most home studio guys, is a better investment than any mastering processor.

I also think that for a lot of home studio guys, mastering on the iPad might have value for the portability reason. I don't think that the push feature is all that interesting in and of itself, I would just do that with an intermediary gain, and yes, I get that it's not identical to using the EQ owing to modeling in the EQ, but, I wouldn't be able to hear the difference, so the difference is moot.

What I like most about it though is that there is no pretense that Gavin is sitting in his studio full of expensive gear using this, he's using the real thing, as I suspect that his clients expect.

It was a decent demonstration and I think that the choice of control left to the user is reasonable.
Thanks for the thoughts. The portability factor is indeed something that has resonated with some folks that I've conversed with. One person just told me today that in general the iPad version "is something kinda special" and that it "just works great" and "I haven't felt this excited about a piece of software in a long time. The simplicity and end result of it is just fricken marvelous". I was frankly surprised hearing it from him, but my point was more that he wanted the iPad version so he could work anywhere and also test in many different environments quickly and easily and that is something that I've heard from others.

It's really not unlike my paypal account!
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:It's really not unlike my paypal account!
I know I shouldn't ask, but what exactly did you mean?

Empty?
Overworked?

:)

Return to “Effects”