will we likely be gratified of a "Valhallaspring" plugin in the future ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote: I was just thinking, how the space echo was the most incredible unique delay plugin i ever heard to this day, and if anyone could do a perfect emu like uad did, it would be Sean.
I don’t see Sean as someone who makes perfect emulations. I see him as someone who takes a sound, comes up with a “perfect sounding” approximation, then improves on it. For example: Valhalla Plate. Up to 30 second decays, optional modulated tails, the “Radium” dual-mono (but decorrelated) mode, all things a classic plates did not have.

In terms of a tape decay, there is an ÜberMod tape echo preset which sounds quite nice. I’m sure Sean could do so much more with a dedicated “Tape delay” plugin, but this is nice to play with in the meantime.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

i am happy with the reverbs i have.

caulixtla wrote:
TheoM wrote: I was just thinking, how the space echo was the most incredible unique delay plugin i ever heard to this day, and if anyone could do a perfect emu like uad did, it would be Sean.
I don’t see Sean as someone who makes perfect emulations. I see him as someone who takes a sound, comes up with a “perfect sounding” approximation, then improves on it. For example: Valhalla Plate. Up to 30 second decays, optional modulated tails, the “Radium” dual-mono (but decorrelated) mode, all things a classic plates did not have.

In terms of a tape decay, there is an ÜberMod tape echo preset which sounds quite nice. I’m sure Sean could do so much more with a dedicated “Tape delay” plugin, but this is nice to play with in the meantime.
space echo is not a tape delay.. this is where i myself and many others have gotten it confused. Nothing sounds like it. Nothing.

TheoM wrote:space echo is not a tape delay.. this is where i myself and many others have gotten it confused. Nothing sounds like it. Nothing.
Are you mixing some things up maybe? Roland RE201 Space Echo definitely is a tape delay... Mainly due to the tape that's inside of the thing ;)

Yes, it is a tape delay with added spring reverb - just like the "Super" Echocords... where it is a bit special is, that it has three playback heads and there are 12 different combinations ("Modes"), varying from only one of each of the heads to only the reverb and almost everything in between (strangely 1&3 and 1&2&3 each without reverb are missing though)...

http://www.musicofsound.co.nz/blog/beau ... space-echo

oh, and what is really odd is that it uses a super-Long tape-loop that's moving like a snake inside the box...
Last edited by jens on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

TheoM wrote: space echo is not a tape delay.. this is where i myself and many others have gotten it confused. Nothing sounds like it. Nothing.
RE201 Space Echo is a tape delay ...

ok my apologies it's a tape delay, but can do things that no current delay plugin can.. that part i am sure of ;)

This quest for the perfect tape delay emulation has been well underway for over a decade in the guitar pedal world. Pedals like Strymon's 'El Capistan' give you control of tape age, fluctuation, crinkle, saturation, bias etc - including the addition of spring reverb.
http://strymon.net/products/elcapistan

Catalinbread make two pedals, the Echorec (based on an old Binson magnetic drum unit) and the Belle Epoch (EP-3 Echoplex) that are light years ahead of any I've heard in the VST world.

One of the key things these pedals do, besides all the emphasis on realistic repeats, is also modelling the input pre-amps of the tape units, which is a big part of their sound and vibe.

We would be very spoiled if companies like these made plugin versions!

TheoM wrote:can do things that no current delay plugin can.. that part i am sure of ;)
Maybe - because currently there is - afaik - only a single tape delay in production (in two variations: the Fulltone Solid State Tape Echo and the Tube Tape Echo), which is rather Basic function-wise - but since the RE-201 itself is not in porduction either I would say that it is a uber-moot point...

or did you mean something èlse?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
We would be very spoiled if companies like these made plugin versions!
Sean ownes an El Capistan - he also already kind of hinted at working on (or at least having planned to work on) a dedicated tape-delay plugin, so... :-D

Oh, and b.t.w.: don't forget the Wampler Faux Tape Echo... :-)

Btw, Satin has a rather nice tape delay mode...

jens wrote:
TheoM wrote:can do things that no current delay plugin can.. that part i am sure of ;)
Maybe - because currently there is - afaik - only a single tape delay in production (in two variations: the Fulltone Solid State Tape Echo and the Tube Tape Echo), which is rather Basic function-wise - but since the RE-201 itself is not in porduction either I would say that it is a uber-moot point...

or did you mean something èlse?
I meant the uad version which was the best emulation so far. And no satin can't do it, ep 34 can't do it, echoboy can't do it, nothing can.. I have tried every single delay plugin.. the second best is logic's tape delay, but again nothing can do what the space echo does when twisting the knobs.. and with a daw and automation, the special fx possible are breathless. My demo expired but there was one knob in particular that has this effect that no other tape delay can do (not the time, that of course is great too to automate, but i think it was maybe called intensity or something.. it's crazy). Plus it has this certain, well, spacey sound to it that is haunting and really quite magical. I didn't believe it till i tried the demo myself.. and NO, i have never used a real roland space echo nor even been in a studio with one. I am only going on hardware you tube demos and uad personal demos. :)

and yes i would LOVE sean to have a crack at this, purely because he knows his shit one, and two, it would be the right price and in all known formats. So... he makes sense as a dev to pull it off. If someone like relab does it it will be $500 so we don't want that. :)

Oh, I overread the "plugin" bit :dog: :oops:

Well, it's quite a complicated and complex thing to model, I guess - tape delay emulation plus spring reverb emulation...

not sure what I might need a spring reverb for other than for Surf Guitar . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Dub, what else! :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Return to “Effects”