Reasons to buy a new vsti ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:I don't see any
/thread
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

You seem to be quite well covered. Something I'd get would be Hive. For quick and easy supersaws/-squares/ -triangles. Of course diva would be nice too.

But generally no reason to buy a new one :D

Except if you are a vst junkie. Then you can go ahead.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

i quit looking for new VST instruments a long time ago... the only thing i get excited about now are new effects and mastering tool Vsts. and even those are hard to beat now since discovering good freeware limiters(TLS Maximizer, George Yohng-W1) and effects (TAL effects) i am currently only testing distortion plugins. looking for one that does great, warm fuzzy distortion i like.

so why then do i still troll this forum? easy, i got Z3ta+1 here free and would'nt mind more good old freebies. :hyper:

BTW, heres my soundcloud with music i made using a bunch of old VST synths and modern effects.
https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Mushy Mushy wrote:
resistent wrote:I don't see any
/thread
:lol:

resistent wrote: Remeber: GAS is a dangerous disease which often leads to non creativity 8)
Tbh, i would say it's the other way around. Those who tend to be the least creative resort to buying lots of stuff which they think would help them get more creative. Which is a false assumption of course. I suffer from that a bit too. But sure, buying lots of stuff can also lead to less creativity when you're busy learning how your gazillionth synth, which does it all a bit different, works exactly.

Nooo! Not another "I want VSTs in Reason" thread!

… Oh, it's not. Righty, carry on.

I am the same: the only virtual synth I use is Diva. I had sold Bazille, Ace, Hive. I always end coming back to Diva. I don't need so much features, just a basic great sound. Reaktor 6 caught my eye with the blocks wired they gave away, so I got a copy of reaktor 5 to upgrade later. Problem with NI is that the price of two plug ins and you are near Komplete.

I am always interested in a wavetable synth, but the only one I really like is LArgo and I just can't get around the DRM limitation, I don't hate dongles but it is very impractical for me to unplug/plug when going form my desktop to my laptop...

I download a lot of demos and I always feel I just wasted time trying stuff.

The other thing I have is NI definitive piano collection, but well I need a good piano and the one included in Live sucks.

So Komplete is within crossgrade, but I am worried I won't use all that stuff and in fact will slow me down. But yeah I want the pianos, including the new Una corda which seems really different, and reaktor 6 and buying them individually just doesnt make sense. Oh well.

Effects only two: VVV and Ubermod.
dedication to flying

I came to terms with my gear addiction a long time ago. Basically, getting new stuff makes me happy and inspires me creatively. As long as it fits within my budget, if a new synth comes along which looks cool and interesting, there's a good chance I'll get it. The fact that I have other, similar synths basically doesn't enter into the equation at all. What a sad, boring world it would be for me if I had to watch year after year as fun new instruments were released but I couldn't buy any of them, just because I already had some others. I realize this isn't the most common or most popular attitude to take -less is more and all that- but it works for me.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I used to buy based on the hype that a new plugin would recieve here, until I started to actually use the damn things properly. I eventually started to make my own decisions based on whether or not the plugin offers me something my others don't. This often boils down to sound quality, value for money,features and stability. so long story short, I often demo the crap out of stuff before purchasing. KVR is a great place to hang out on, because it can help you either spend money or save it.
:borg:

resistent wrote:I don't see any.
Over the last decade I've tested a lot of vsti's but I just stick with a few. Nowadays I use just(?) six (commercial) vsti's - Aalto, Kaivo, Zebra, Bazille, FM8, The Mangle. It's more then enough I don't need more vsti's and wonder which reasons one can have to buy more instead of programming patches. :P
Of course the sound could be one minor reason (see Diva) but for me also the GUI (workflow) and the synthesis approach counts so no needs for new stuff here. What could be the next coming?

Remeber: GAS is a dangerous disease which often leads to non creativity 8)
I think that you've hit a 'stage'.

I've stopped buying all together myself, although there are so many superb plugs available.

Spire is what stopped me - it sounds so good to me, that it effectively operates on the same level as any synth hardware - I'll probably eventually set-up a 'photo-realistic' counterpart to it on a separate computer running probably NI's Komplete Ultimate, but it's easy right now to spend literally hours playing exclusively with Spire.

I don't have rules! I broke every rule I put :hihi: anyway, after years of suffering from GAS, I'm beginning to live with it. I have a nice bunch of synths and instruments so the GAS is minimum now.

OT: there is big discount in steam. Although I have more than 150 games untouched, I have GAS today for games :cry:

Good question :)
There are reasons to buy old vsti as well.
Or I can say :
Don't buy new vsti - buy old!
:)
Last edited by dune_rave on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vstcoholics, alcoholics, synthcoholics. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”