Arturia: Are they that bad?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm amazed at what you get with the V Collection. I've only had it for about 2 months and have yet to complain about anything. I'm just bumbling through presets at the moment so I have not had the GUI bother me. The default volumes seem a little loud.

punkfest2000 wrote:I'm amazed at what you get with the V Collection. I've only had it for about 2 months and have yet to complain about anything. I'm just bumbling through presets at the moment so I have not had the GUI bother me. The default volumes seem a little loud.
I have noticed the volume issue myself.

But, even though I had this for awhile now I still find myself bumbling around. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

zerocrossing wrote:Here's an example. I have a Sonic Core system (DSP/i/o box) that has a plug in called ProWave. It's basically a Prophet VS emulation (plus more, but that's off topic). It's pretty old but it sounds fantastic. For fun I put it up against ProphetV and let me tell you, the Arturia sounds mushy and indistinct in comparison. No contest. Other Sonic Core (Creamware) plug ins, like Minimax (Minimoog emulation) have been equalled by native plug ins, but the Arturia stuff lags.
You are still in the enchantment phase. Believe me, in a year or so they will not sound as amazing to you (been there, done that). Besides, I had problems with the Creamware Scope, and Sonic Core, (which was and probably still sells Scopes) failed to assist me with the software (which was theirs, BTW) and with the hardware. I end up giving up on the card, and it is now in my computer but turned off (just because I don't want it to be collecting dust). Anyway, in the end I as just using it basically as an audio interface, since I always found the Scope system messy, and very low performing (you open a couple of synths, and the DSP power is gone).

But I'd like to hear some tests to support your statement. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks on me.
Fernando (FMR)

I've had the Mini V for years now. And I now have two more of their softsynths and the drum machine Spark. Now, Spark is not the greatest drum machine of its kind, but I like it for what it is.

I've seen these "Let's DIS Arturia" threads over and over here at KVR. I've meanwhile had not one issue with any of their products, and the few times I've had a question or needed customer service, the response was very fast, totally helpful and courteous.

Further, the nonsense issues I only ever seem to find in KVR threads about the quality of their software instruments is complete rubbish. Of the several software and hardware Minimoog and Mini-type instruments I've owned, the Mini V is every bit as fine, if not actually better.

What I'm trying to say here is that it was this constant dissing I saw regarding Arturia and a few other 'easy targets' that made my finally realise that too many of you here don't know at all what you are talking about. Simply put, your statements cannot be trusted, and it brings into question much of what other supposed "expertise" you provide to readers.

What instead I do find true is that too many of you jump on the favourite synth of the month bandwagon and merely parrot the words of others. This is entirely faddish and of no help to anyone. You all rave about Synth X one month, and all turn and diss it the next. It should make us all question the competency of your hearing abilities, experience and advice.

MarlaPodolski wrote: What instead I do find true is that too many of you jump on the favourite synth of the month bandwagon and merely parrot the words of others. This is entirely faddish and of no help to anyone. You all rave about Synth X one month, and all turn and diss it the next. It should make us all question the competency of your hearing abilities, experience and advice.

What? You mean to say you take the things people write here seriously? :-o

Factual information is always helpful, but opinions on sound quality etc. ? Are you kidding? I never take that seriously. I've got my own ears, that are still functioning quite well, no thanks to the abuse I've given them over the years.

It's different once you get to know certain posters and their opinions here... you know what they'll tend to like and what they'll probably dislike, and this can be informative to a degree. But anything beyond that is people shooting their mouths off over the comfortable anonymity of the internet. That includes everyone, you and me and el diablo makes three.

I got the Mini during the giveaway, and quite liked its sound. It was kinda muffled, but also nicely chunky. Who cares if it emulates a real Mini correctly? It sounds nice. Props to Arturia for that generous offer.

Another beef I got with Arturia, using up HDD space duplicating files:

After installing V collection 4, I directed the VSTs to be installed in the folder I use

I discovered that they also installed duplicates of the dll's in the ProgramData folder, so eating a couple of GB HDD space, for reasons I don't understand? :(

And installing Analog Lab/Laboratory means that the dll*s are once again duplicated in the Program Files Arturia folder :dog:

I have the V Collection and BeatStep from Arturia and I like them both a lot.

Actually, I had the ARP2600V and SEM V few years ago and I like a lot the character of them. I don't judge them of how they are true emulations of the original, but how nice they sound.

For me, I like all of their instruments but the less I like is Jupiter V. I don't know, I haven't found something I like about it. The other instruments I tend to concentrate on what I like most in them. They are not great at everything, but for some specific sounds they are really very good. ARP2600V, SEM V, Mini V and Modular V I like them from the first time I heard them, but now I'm discovering great sounds in CS-80 and Prophet V. Still not all sounds, but I'm surprised that they sound really good.

I already like Spark as my favourite Drum Machine, but I'm using also Transfuser and the Drum Machines in Bitwig. Spark is my favourite in overall, but Transfuser sounds great as well. However, the drum machines in Bitwig are the best and easiest to use especially with BeatStep (great integration).

I was very happy (and still) when Arturia changed from e-licenser and created their own protection (similar to NI software). The license system is one of my favourites (PreSonus and NI are with similar protection). The licensing is very generous with 5 machines maximum and all are manageable (not like the mean one with Focusrite! three times activations, and done! no more!).

I have few experiences with the support. They are not perfect, but all my problems were solved in the end, and the follow up was excellent. So, for me I'm happy with their support :)

The hardware, in my case BeatStep, is really good. It worth much more and I was little surprised for the good quality of the knobs and overall built considering the price I paid for! However, the pads although much better than the budget Akai, but still needs a tiny more sensitivity. Still maybe best pads on a budget controller and overall I'm happy with it :)

Now, for the negatives. The first is the known ones with their software (the old ones like Modular V, CS-80 ..etc). Yes, the GUI must be enlarged and redesigned in some situations to be able to work comfortably with them. I also believe it is the time to update the quality as well (oversampling with new filters maybe! Something like what Waves done with Element).

Another negative aspect is when I bought BeatStep, I expected it to work flawlessly and with minimum setup with their soft synths and instruments. I was surprised that I couldn't find any templates especially for Spark!!! I know there is a specific hardware for Spark (Sparkle) but what about the BeatStep?! Anyway, I have the template for Bitwig and it is amazing script/template that I can switch between 6 modes mainly (Track, Device, Play, Drum, Sequencer and Session Modes) in addition to Browser mode. Now, I expected to have something similar in Spark, but nothing at all! I need to make my own template in the "Midi Control Centre" which is very good software, but why aren't there any templates for their own synths and instruments?!

After all, I'm happy with Arturia and I will happily purchase from them again :)

Arturia stuff is awesome

Love my Arturia V Collection 4 :tu:
Nice sounds, lovely GUI, small footprint, ample activations, fine installation center.
Even gave up my u-he for it.
But will get Diva some day :)

fmr wrote:You are still in the enchantment phase. Believe me, in a year or so they will not sound as amazing to you (been there, done that). Besides, I had problems with the Creamware Scope, and Sonic Core, (which was and probably still sells Scopes) failed to assist me with the software (which was theirs, BTW) and with the hardware. I end up giving up on the card, and it is now in my computer but turned off (just because I don't want it to be collecting dust). Anyway, in the end I as just using it basically as an audio interface, since I always found the Scope system messy, and very low performing (you open a couple of synths, and the DSP power is gone).

But I'd like to hear some tests to support your statement. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks on me.
Man, that's a sad story, fmr. :(

OK:

http://www.use-audio.com/pplugins.htm

The Plugiator loads versions of the CW/SC plug-in's - I have a Plugiator, and at least to my ears - their SCI Prophet emulation sounds really good! Maybe not an exact emulation, though. Regardless - There's also a stock Plugiator plugin called: Lightwave, which is architecturally somewhat similiar to a Prophet VS - it sounds good, but I still see Pro-12 as the overall standout - I would personally take it's sound over Arturia's emulation, conceding that the Pro-12 isn't nearly as sonically versatile as Arturia's.

punkfest2000 wrote:I'm amazed at what you get with the V Collection. I've only had it for about 2 months and have yet to complain about anything.
Yes, lots of usable synths for the money.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

I own V-col 4 most of there plugins work fine. Some have bugs that have existed for your years and even though they are notified. They are never fixed. Like Sparks latch filter, no midi import. If they cannot be bothered fixing things that were supposed to be features. Why would i risk my hard earned on broken products and promises. In the hope some time in the future they may or may not fix it :tu:

I too bought in the recent sale, haven't had a chance really to use them in a song, but preset creation is fun, and yeah I'm with everyone else about the freaking tiny GUI's. The Jupiter and CS80V are two synths completely off the table in terms of actually owning the real thing, and the GUIs are made for low resolution CRT monitors. The CS80V is particularly unusable.

I own an Xpander, and the Matrix 12 V is pretty dammed close. Close enough to say that since no Matrix 12 or Xpander 100% is going to sound exactly the same. There are certainly what sounds like slightly less odd harmonics in the Matrix 12 V factory presets compared to the originals, but in 90% of the cases where you would use that sound you would be EQing those out.

The Beatstep Pro is awesome, love it, I often think I'm a fool for trying to learn how to incorporate NI Maschine into my setup when Beatstep, a drum VST and a DAW are that much more powerful, and simple to use.

Mostly, eLicenser sucks if you don't own the dongle. Spark Dubstep was $1 Stupid Deal of the Day at Musicians Friend a year ago, and dealing with eLicenser when I changed out the CPU on the Mac Pro her was a nightmare. Seriously, compared to soft iLock it's a joke. Arturia aren't using that anymore and are in house. I would be willing to be a lot of the complaints about them die down now that people aren't dealing with that mess.

goldenanalog wrote: Man, that's a sad story, fmr. :(

OK:

http://www.use-audio.com/pplugins.htm

The Plugiator loads versions of the CW/SC plug-in's - I have a Plugiator, and at least to my ears - their SCI Prophet emulation sounds really good! Maybe not an exact emulation, though. Regardless - There's also a stock Plugiator plugin called: Lightwave, which is architecturally somewhat similiar to a Prophet VS - it sounds good, but I still see Pro-12 as the overall standout - I would personally take it's sound over Arturia's emulation, conceding that the Pro-12 isn't nearly as sonically versatile as Arturia's.
Oh, I'm not saying they sound bad. They were sounding very good... for the time. But today there are lots of synths that sound very, very good. For me, the biggest reason to use Scope was the Modular.

But, as I said, I found the system very low performing (and I had the 15 DSP card, so, I find it ver difficult that the new Xite hardware performs 10 times that), to the point that opening a few instances of the synths squeezes all the power from it. Sonic Core claims that Xite has 10 times the power of a Scope card. Well, I hope it has, because the Scope card hasn't that much power, but nevertheless, any native system has far more power, and the price of an Xite is more than that of a good desktop computer. IMO, it doesn't justify the money.
Fernando (FMR)

punkfest2000 wrote:I'm amazed at what you get with the V Collection.
This is the key. Even if you only use the synths since SEM.
Last edited by electro on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”