Anyone knows what happened to SQ8X?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

*bump*

And we want a SQ8L with 64 bit too! ;)

I think it's safe to assume Siggi doesn't want to pick up this project anymore, which means SQ8X won't ever happen, and SQ8L will remain 32-bit forever.

:(

wallplug wrote:Bump
Well I guess the dev cannot live on air alone, if you want the next version of SQ8 I suggest donations are in order: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/
Siegfried 'Sigi' Kullmann wrote:Support SQ8L Development
SQ8L was and still is a lot of work. Never the less, and despite ongoing improvements, it is still provided for free. If you like this software, you might want to consider a donation to the Programmer

Numanoid wrote:
wallplug wrote:Bump
Well I guess the dev cannot live on air alone, if you want the next version of SQ8 I suggest donations are in order: http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/
Siegfried 'Sigi' Kullmann wrote:Support SQ8L Development
SQ8L was and still is a lot of work. Never the less, and despite ongoing improvements, it is still provided for free. If you like this software, you might want to consider a donation to the Programmer
I doubt that will help much. A donation would be nice though in any case, but nothing the dev will be able to live on.

Any new information about this wonderful synth?

It won't ever happen, it's abandonware.

EvilDragon wrote:It won't ever happen, it's abandonware.
It'd be great if some other developer (Arturia?) would/could buy it...

I'm sad to read this... Of course not coming as a surprise. :(

The thing is, that even though it's freeware and "incomplete", it's very well designed and the sound just blasts this 80s feeling instantly. Never crashed for me, and the editing is not that counterintuitive. I wish there would be similar alternatives both soundwise and 'feel' today.
I hope the current emergence of retrowave music will maybe induce a demand for virtual synthesizers that are not strictly analogue emulations...

While SQ8L is indeed very nice there are at least 2 things that could be improved which are 64-bit support and a modern zero delay feedback filter.

As mentioned in another thread when i compared the plugin to my real Ensoniq ESQ-1 the filter seems to lack a lot of low end at higher Resonance amount when compared to the real thing. At no or very low Resonance the low end of the plugin is good.

This sees to be a problem with many older plugins that mostly appears at more xtreme filter settings like e.g. high Resonance and/or audio rate modulations and usually seems to be solved by modern approaches like e.g. zero dela deedback filters or others.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

davidka wrote:

The thing is, that even though it's freeware and "incomplete", it's very well designed and the sound just blasts this 80s feeling instantly. Never crashed for me, and the editing is not that counterintuitive. I wish there would be similar alternatives both soundwise and 'feel' today.
I hope the current emergence of retrowave music will maybe induce a demand for virtual synthesizers that are not strictly analogue emulations...
In what kind of way is it 'incomplete'?

It's a shame really. It's a really great synth and it has that lofi retro synth vibe to it. It definitely doesn't sound like ones and zeros. An awesome free synth had the potential to be great but at least we have sq8l and it sounds great. Reaper doesn't have a problem bridging this plug, it runs like a dream.

From the readme.txt:
The full version SQ8X will have the following additional features:

- Combinations of up to 4 single sounds.
- Multi mode with 16 channels.
- Arpeggiator which allows C64-like chords.
- Adjustable polyphony (far more than 8 voices).
- New Filter algorithms with different modes
(lowpass, bandpass, highpass).
- 2nd Filter and different routing modes for the
filters: serial, parallel, split.
- Improved GUI.
I love this synth and nothing sounds quite like it. The "X" version? Who knows? Instruments have come back from the dead before. :)
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I always thought this could be a commercial plug in... Not sure if the developer cares. Maybe there's issues selling something with copyrights of the waveforms still owned by Creative? I think if there's a developer who'd do this right it would be TAL. I can see it fitting in with their offerings. Maybe Audio Damage?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

fischkopf wrote:
davidka wrote:

In what kind of way is it 'incomplete'?
The full version SQ8X will have the following additional features:

- Combinations of up to 4 single sounds.
- Multi mode with 16 channels.
- Arpeggiator which allows C64-like chords.
- Adjustable polyphony (far more than 8 voices).
- New Filter algorithms with different modes
(lowpass, bandpass, highpass).
- 2nd Filter and different routing modes for the
filters: serial, parallel, split.
- Improved GUI.
And yes, the 64-bit version and improvement to the filter would be welcome. Not that any of these takes away my enjoyment. I just wish the SQ-80 will not be forgotten in the virtual domain.
zerocrossing wrote:I always thought this could be a commercial plug in... Not sure if the developer cares. Maybe there's issues selling something with copyrights of the waveforms still owned by Creative? I think if there's a developer who'd do this right it would be TAL. I can see it fitting in with their offerings. Maybe Audio Damage?
I really don't know... I think this would take a different direction from TAL, but I am not aware of Patrick's plans. However, a complete Emulator II library could be ported to TAL-Sampler without much sonical difference. Think of RR OMI Universe of Sounds :)

This hobby coder put all the commercial devs into shame same for Paul Nasca.Kudos to both of them. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Instruments”