Mogees? Huh?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

yes it's pretty cool. You can train it also to recognize different types of hits.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

isn't this the thing Plaid were doing some promo vids, or a promo vid for ? When it was a kickstarter or something ?

it being osx/ios only and £100 precludes me for getting it .... it's a contact mic and software that I feel I could approximate with maxmsp or similar. I mean, cycling74 have been showcasing these kind of devices for donkeys years ... it's pretty much the first kind of doodad you would knock up in maxmsp once you start getting in to incorporating sensors.

very nice device though.

Android tablet was a terrible choice for music.

Inspiring gadget, as a result Music Things Mikrophonie will be my first DIY eurorack module.

i dont get it.

it doesnt seem to actually take the sound of the object into consideration. you select presets and then it just plays those according to how you hit the object.

why cant you just use some sort of drum pad?

looks like a gimmick for people to look cool banging on weird objects.

neubauten did it better:
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:it doesnt seem to actually take the sound of the object into consideration. you select presets and then it just plays those according to how you hit the object.
Exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7J6iBd2qVg

Being someone who works with contact mics to record sound this is not what they are about...it's about the actual sound of the thing the contact mic is attached to!

Playing a song on a stove and having synth sounds being heard instead of raw metal...

mikefellh wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:it doesnt seem to actually take the sound of the object into consideration. you select presets and then it just plays those according to how you hit the object.
Exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7J6iBd2qVg

Being someone who works with contact mics to record sound this is not what they are about...it's about the actual sound of the thing the contact mic is attached to!

Playing a song on a stove and having synth sounds being heard instead of raw metal...
so...you can "play" a stove, but you cant actually play a stove.

or some metal springs. or a chainsaw. or a shopping cart. or just random ruble. or anything really.

lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GPuOrroqEs
ImageImageImage

Oh, and I thought it offered something like resynthesizing the original signal and mapping/pitchshifting it to a predefined scale... so it's just a toy.

Well, 99 bucks saved.

mikefellh wrote:Being someone who works with contact mics to record sound this is not what they are about...it's about the actual sound of the thing the contact mic is attached to!

while I'm happy that you're impressed by this (if i'm reading you correctly) .... I must reiterate that these are contact mics, like I said, working in conjunction with some relatively basic software to create trigger signals.... it should be relatively straight forward to approximate in a modular patching environment like maxmsp, and indeed this is the kind of beginners workshop/project stuff they have been promoting for years and years.

better to put your 99 great british pounds towards a maxmsp license, as mogees is imo vastly over priced for what it is.

ymmv.

I'll stick to Impaktor (iOS app) for something 'premade' (and all sorts of modular stuff for self-constructed) but I guess the Wavedrum Mini would also be in the same territory.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”