Yamaha HS7 or Adam A7X or...?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A7X's wipe the floor with HS7's.

I guess I'll find out. :|
Blue Phase Music

I've decided that as long as the HS7s don't hum or buzz, I'm going to keep them. They're far better than what I'm using now.

Later, I'll order the Adam monitors. That way, I'll have two sets of monitors to compare and use as, well, reference. ;)

I've been banging my head on this subject for too long now. I may have made the "wrong" decision this time, but I do need to keep budget in mind. And for that, I've made the correct decision.
Blue Phase Music

No buzzing or humming.

I haven't put them to task yet, but if they're anything like my old HS50m monitors, they're worthy of staying.

The cone sure isn't 6.5 inches, though. More like 5.5 inches. Or are they counting both cones per cabinet?
Blue Phase Music

The biggest plus points on the HS7 are great transient response and slew rates which makes them rather accurate if not a bit dry to work with, although because of that I find them a bit uninspiring to work over longer sessions. With the Adam sound, that is a bit more forward and brighter which gives you more detail in the mids and comes across as more of a listening pair IMO. Both are great speakers mind, although you may find yourself prefering one set for one task and another set for other usages, and its certainly more personal preference with those two ranges.

Thank you for your reply, Kaine.

I know that not everyone can own an M-Class Mercedes, and that Hondas are perfectly capable cars.

I'm not disappointed in my purchase (they're a heckuva lot better than my old HS50m monitors), but I do wish I would have given it a couple of more days before committing, so I could get some of the replies that came once these had already shipped. :|

Of course, then I'd have been beholden to Zzounds for an entire year, whereas these will be paid off in a month and a half.

Thank you again. It helps me feel a little better about my purchase.
Blue Phase Music

I can HEAR the bass, but I can't FEEL it. I believe that has more to do with my positioning, though, and less to do with these monitors, themselves. I'm right up against a wall. The reflection is cancelling the bass.

I'll try to work on positioning, though I'm not sure there's anything I can really do.

One thing I should have purchased when I got these was a volume controller. That's next on my list. Using my interface's Output knob is just too finicky.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:I can HEAR the bass, but I can't FEEL it. I believe that has more to do with my positioning, though, and less to do with these monitors, themselves. I'm right up against a wall. The reflection is cancelling the bass.

I'll try to work on positioning, though I'm not sure there's anything I can really do.

One thing I should have purchased when I got these was a volume controller. That's next on my list. Using my interface's Output knob is just too finicky.
This sounds more complicated than it's supposed to be. Can't you simply pull your desk/table a little bit further towards the middle of the room? Your room can't be that small...

Also, don't forget you have all those controls at the rear of the HS7 allowing you to adjust the output, bass and treble to your room situation.

I can feel my HS7 bass pretty well. It usually blows right into my ears. 8) And my HS7 are only some 30 cm off the wall.

It's not like I'm in a closet or anything, but I share this room with my husband. Both our desks are in here, so if I back away from the wall, I back into him. :)

This is a FAR from ideal music-producing situation. It's not so much a studio as it is an office, with furniture and bookshelves appropriate to that use.

I may be able to back out a little because we are offset a bit, though that might be a little inconvenient, as well.

My husband's work office (he works at home) is actually on what should be our dining room table, and I kinda wish I could get a desk for him to put there and move his personal PC (um...) there, as well so I could have this room to myself. Everything would be completely different if that were the case!

I will adjust the controls on the back (sorry, I'd completely forgotten about those controls in the shuffle of finding a place to put these monitors), and I also have ARC 2 on the way, so I'll get this working to my satisfaction. :) Again, I'm not disappointed in my purchase, but I probably would have been better off getting the Adams.
Blue Phase Music

I've only heard good things about both these monitors (I was reading this http://www.studio-speakers.com/yamaha-h ... rs-review/ HS7 review, and their A7X review on the same site today). Although the A7Xs are more expensive, they seem very popular in Europe while the HS7s do very well in the USA from what I've read. My neighbour has HS5s and they sound great, although they do need a subwoofer. The 7s seem to offer excellent value for money and have plenty of fans. The A7Xs seem to be higher-end and have many devotees too. I'd buy the A7Xs if I had the $$$.

look at yamaha ns1000 you won't be disappointed
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

attentively look at the sound-noise ratio of the built-in aplifier. in most cases people are lazy to research on that matter. i bet external studio amp + some used old speakers like ns1000 will beat all those active monitors. Of course you need it only if you are not making some electronic crap, otherwise it does not matter what you have, cheers
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

First of all... buying a pair of HS-7's now seats you right next to thousands of professional studio engineers across the world who mix daily. Having these monitors is like being in their studios on many levels.

Secondly, these are industry standard monitors. They work great in small rooms when you use them for a few months and understand them AND your rooms sound. You mix down in you ur studio, and take the mixes to the car/headphones/home system/other studio and write down what's good/bad. These monitors will almost always place you close to a great sounding mix that 'translates' or sounds great on listener/fans speakers or headphones/earbuds.

I produce hip-hop, NGOMusicGroup on YouTube for my video/music work, Fildubz on Instagram. In each of my accounts I've been using the Yamaha HS-7's: I plug my accounts only to provide an example case and qualifying myself.

These are truly great speakes to mix in.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”