Moving from XP to W7 (finally). What to expect performance wise.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dsan@mail.com wrote:Maybe it just me but it seems to me this is a precursor to total control. Orwell's 1984 anybody?
More like avatgarde of total annoyance. W10 is not a tool, it's attention whore. You want to do something and what you get is "Not now, fool! I'm upgrading myself" or "ATTENTION!!!! VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE!!! Leave anything you do immediately, you need to attend the defender upgrade NOW! (and watch the pretty photo album I made just for you)". Simply ridiculous. Just imagine the amount of wasted time in worldwide scope. Worse thing is, it seems to be a new trend, smartphones do the same thing. It's like all electronics are turning into Tamagotchi.

Zombie Queen wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:Maybe it just me but it seems to me this is a precursor to total control. Orwell's 1984 anybody?
More like avatgarde of total annoyance. W10 is not a tool, it's attention whore. You want to do something and what you get is "Not now, fool! I'm upgrading myself" or "ATTENTION!!!! VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE!!! Leave anything you do immediately, you need to attend the defender upgrade NOW! (and watch the pretty photo album I made just for you)". Simply ridiculous.
Um. You won't even notice when it upgrades. You can even shut down your computer, and interrupt the updating. Of course, not right when it's installing something, but when it's in the download process. You won't be notified in that case either, it just shuts down the computer. Which is not what i want either, it should at least notify me of the updating process, so i can choose what to do. The only occasion when you actually get notified is when the updating requires a reboot, which you can either allow to be done automatically, or on user prompt.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W10 seems somehow nicer about multiple audio apps open. I can click back and forth from my M-Audio control panel to Cubase and the desktop way more freely as if they were all windows in one application.

Zombie Queen wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Are you saying I may encounter issues with my M-Audio Profire 2626 despite there being W7 drivers available?
Possible issues are about firewire controller drivers. Just google "windows 7 firewire", there are different driver versions, some manufacturers recommend using "legacy" driver, some recommend using regular driver. It may depend on controller/soundcard configuration, it's possible it will work out of the box, but it's possible you may need to experiment changing firewire driver. In W8 and newer, the old driver is not included, buy it's available as separate download at MS.
The only way I found to get firewire working properly in W7 was (a) finding the right fireware card - some worked, some didn't (b) reverting to legacy firewire drivers (c) changing my video card drivers to an older nvidia version which didn't interfere with it.

dsan@mail.com wrote: Maybe it just me but it seems to me this is a precursor to total control. Orwell's 1984 anybody?

Or am I being paranoid?
Hello, fellow frog in the pot, notice the water keeps feeling
a little warmer...

USA 19 Trillion (with a T) in debt, a 100 trillion+ in unfunded liabilities,
ooohhh, the water is so nice and warm, lets borrow more and more,
and spend faster and faster, like our kids and grandkids future
doesn't even matter!

Car won't start? Did you forget to pay your taxes? :wink:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”