Windows 10 installs automatically during Windows 7 or 8 updates

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote:so you bringing i386 and win 98 to the discussion is really zeroing in on reality?
OK, replace 386 with P4. it's not supported on Windows 7. replace Win98 with XP - XP is not supported on anything beyond Westmere, if not Nehalem.
glokraw wrote:You are speculating that msoft/apple/intel do no evil, and then implying there is no gray area where profitable business practice takes advantage of people forced to use a microsoft/apple/intel product, by way of employment, or school enrollment.
that's a completely different issue. whether microsoft will force institutions to buy Skylake chips to move to Windows 10 has nothing to do with whether you, the consumer, will be forced to buy Skylake just to install Windows 10 (as opposed to "just" being on your own if you're not running on a Skylake chip - seriously, some people still run XP despite it being unsupported since dark ages, so being "on their own" in terms of official support is not new for KVRians by any measure).
glokraw wrote:And there is no exclusivity to such gray areas. ...blah
again, irrelevant to the issue at hand.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Seems if they want to keep these new mobo's that support the new chips from running 7, they will do it.

This thread has the solution of 'upgrading 7 to 8.1 to fix it';

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-disc ... oards.html

Heres some more fun stuff;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/inte ... supermicro

'One big shock will be for Windows 7 users. By default, the Z170 chipset and BIOS will not support full USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (EHCI) mode. This means that for a number of circumstances, USB devices will not work unless an XHCI environment in play.'

In our testing, this means that in order to install Windows 7 you need to do the following:

Navigate to BIOS
Enable ‘Windows 7 Installation’ or ‘EHCI mode’, Save and Exit.
Have your Windows 7 image on an optical disk. USB sticks will not work!
Install the OS as normal via the optical media. Install OS drivers/USB 3.0 drivers.
Disable the BIOS option.'

Kind of hard to install windows without a mouse & keyboard.

And finally;

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remov ... orm-specs/

'The reason for that is that the discarding of EHCI was inevitable sooner or later, and while they could have taken steps to remedy the problem easily, they have no compulsion to do so. The problem begins with the fact that Windows 7 does not have the code to support master xHCI based installation via USB, with only installation over EHCI allowed.

You might be thinking that one can always take the bootable DVD route and even though research indicates that dependence on optical drives is diminishing by the second, it has its own caveats. You better hope that your motherboard has a PS/2 port because even while installing from a DVD, the USB ports wont work (during the install setup).'

Anyone having issues, im hearing there is some luck with swapping .wim's off a 7 disc onto an 8.1

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I think that what has been said here and in many other threads demonstrates just how badly stung MS were over the non-uptake of Win 8.x, and how prepared they are now to do anything in their power to force Win 10 onto people's hard-drives, to the extent of using their not-inconsiderable influence to persuade hardware manufacturers to back them up in their nefarious plans.
What with this and subscriptions - it's a sad future. :(

xNiMiNx wrote:Seems if they want to keep these new mobo's that support the new chips from running 7, they will do it.
from what i can read, it's not that they are "keeping the new motherboards from supporting Windows 7", but rather that they aren't updating Windows 7 to support new hardware. which is to be expected, honestly - mainstream support has ended. so again, nothing unusual here.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

'We do worry when people are running an operating system that’s 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn’t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn’t work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our ISV (Independent Software Vendor) and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems.'

We think every machine that is capable of running Windows 10 we should be doing everything we possibly can to get people to move to Windows 10…We are going to try to find that right balance, but we just know there’s a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push.

And so, there’s no doubt with a base as big as ours, it is hard to move anyone to a new model without angering some people. We don’t want to anger anybody, but we do feel a responsibility to get people to a much better place, and Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7. We will always give you a way out, but we’re trying to find the right threat balance.'
- Chris Capossela, Microsoft Marketing Chief (http://techfrag.com/2016/01/04/theres-a ... ft-claims/)

With their actions, and their words, i truly believe they want to shut down 7. As for mainstream support, i get it, but if their idea of extended support excludes copying a win7 wim to an 8.1 installer, then its a complete joke and they shouldnt have extended it at all.

xNiMiNx wrote:'We do worry when people are running an operating system that’s 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn’t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn’t work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our ISV (Independent Software Vendor) and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems.'

We think every machine that is capable of running Windows 10 we should be doing everything we possibly can to get people to move to Windows 10…We are going to try to find that right balance, but we just know there’s a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push.

And so, there’s no doubt with a base as big as ours, it is hard to move anyone to a new model without angering some people. We don’t want to anger anybody, but we do feel a responsibility to get people to a much better place, and Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7. We will always give you a way out, but we’re trying to find the right threat balance.'
- Chris Capossela, Microsoft Marketing Chief (http://techfrag.com/2016/01/04/theres-a ... ft-claims/)
you're missing the point. of course they will try to push people to Windows 10. the question is, are they purposefully disallowing older OS's to install on newer hardware, or is it just a natural consequence of progress leaving the older OS's behind and unable to take advantage of the new features in hardware? so far, it looks like it's the latter. there are certain new hardware features that Windows 10 can take advantage of, but older OS's can't. for example, as far as i know, Windows XP is not compatible with UEFI - would you claim that they invented UEFI just to spite XP users and push everyone to newer OS's??
xNiMiNx wrote:With their actions, and their words, i truly believe they want to shut down 7. As for mainstream support, i get it, but if their idea of extended support excludes copying a win7 wim to an 8.1 installer, then its a complete joke and they shouldnt have extended it at all.
"their idea of extended support" is providing security fixes for the OS, but not any new features. that is what "support" in corporate world means. modifying the installer is by definition unsupportable.

Burillo wrote:you're missing the point. of course they will try to push people to Windows 10. the question is, are they purposefully disallowing older OS's to install on newer hardware, or is it just a natural consequence of progress leaving the older OS's behind and unable to take advantage of the new features in hardware?
Yes, i think this is where we must agree to disagree. I do believe they are going out of their way to stifle everything pre-10 (again, from their actions and words).

Anyways, slightly off topic, is anyone on the FR insiders list?

Just reclaimed 6GB of HDD space on Windows 10 by this nifty tip:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/wh ... delete-it/

Complications or damages may have happened after the Windows 10 update has been downloaded

Little or no storage space left - Computers, laptops, or tablets with little to no storage may have completely run out of room
Poor Windows OS performance - Computer, laptop, or tabled may become slow, laggy, or fail all together when there is little or no storage space left on the operating system drive.
Fees paid out of pocked for overages in data plans - Data usage may have peaked without the user’s knowledge or permission since the download may be as large as 6.0 GB. Laptops or tablets that use a moble 4g or 3g connection may have been affected.
Unwanted filed downloaded without permission - Files are left on the hard drive where the user may not even choose to update or use in the future

Who to contact to join the class action.

The Abbott Law Group, P.A. has a team of lawyers who specialize in Electronic Discovery and Technology based litigation. If you have been affected by the unwanted Windows 10 download, or you computer, laptop, or tabled, has stopped functioning properly as a result, you may be eligible to join the Microsoft Class Action Lawsuit.

Microsoft has neglected to inform the users of its Windows operating system that the Windows 10 update will be downloaded onto their hard drive. Microsoft has also failed to consider how the download may impact the end user.

Call us now for a free consultation if you believe you may be eligible to join the Microsoft class action lawsuit for Windows 10 download without permission.

http://microsoftclassactionlawsuit.com/

The enterprise eula's are getting prettier.

Lets all stand shoulder to shoulder and do the class action waiver :hyper:

Burillo wrote: as far as i know, Windows XP is not compatible with UEFI - would you claim that they invented UEFI just to spite XP users and push everyone to newer OS's??
UEFI is the hardware face of msofts fud war against
any alternate OS being allowed to -->simply<-- be installed
and started.
Replacing windows, dual-booting a competing OS, or booting
a competing OS by external drives, is made more difficult
by uefi hardware. Make it a hassle for the masses to experiment
using a competitors OS, is marketing genious.
Give 'em five multi-terabyte partitions, and they'll buy
any crap motherboard with our sticker on it. Gotta make
terabytes of room for a few dozen gigabytes of vsts $ :tu: $ :dog:

a good resource:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... -ugly.html

Meanwhile...

Britain's fleet of missile submarines, HMS Vanguard, Victorious, Vigilant, and Vengeance, are four of the deadliest ships ever built. Armed with nuclear weapons, the four "boomers" patrol the oceans, providing a powerful deterrent against a surprise nuclear attack on the United Kingdom.

They all run Windows XP. The software is even branded as "Windows for Submarines."

The U.S. Navy also still runs Windows XP, but it is paying for extra security and updates while it transitions to more modern operating systems. A $9 million dollar tech support deal it cut with Microsoft is good until July 2016, with an option to extend for another year for $31 million.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... indows-xp/

It's a new 'hope and change' world, and the newly funded
suicide bombers are busy testing their ICBM's already. Matters not
whether they build their own nuke warheads, or buy/steal them.
Suicide bombers don't care about subs, bombers, or lines in the sand.

Back on topic, here's a revert-back-from-10 article.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/hate-windows-10/

Back on topic, to disable operating system upgrade downloads, use this:
GWX Control Panel

Personally I don't like WIn10, but I don't like Win7 either, so that's that.

metamorphosis wrote:Back on topic, to disable operating system upgrade downloads, use this:
GWX Control Panel
Hey, did you try this? I've read about it, but it seems ;like such a a quick and easy solution, it almost sounds too good to be true ... But I know so little about IT that I worry, is just trusting the dev running this likely to have unintended consequences, including bugginess, instability, loss of my present functionality, or other disruption?

Truly just want to be left in peace!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”