Why do my midi keyboard's drum pads don't work in Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a little problem in Studio One (version 2 Producer) with the drum pads on my midi keyboard. I set up my midi keyboard in Studio One, by adding a new midi keyboard, and getting through the setup things, like adding knobs to it via the external controller window, and all that, but when i want to control the drum pads in Impact for example via the drum pads on my midi keyboard, they don't work. Interestingly, they will work, when i set up the midi input for the Impact track to "All midi inputs". So, as far as i understood it, all the drum pads do is send a midi note signal, so basically, i would just have to set them up to the respective midi notes, either in the keyboard's drum pads settings, which i have tried, or you can also set up which midi notes trigger which pad in Impact, which i also have tried, both to no success. It seems like the drum pads are dead when i choose my midi keyboard as the input for the Impact track, but it all works when i set the midi input to "All midi inputs".

Do i miss something? Do i have to set up the drum pads like i set up the knobs and faders of my keyboard, although they only send midi notes? Why does it work when i set midi nput to all inputs? Really puzzled here, hope someone can help.

Have you tried setting the drum pads to channel 10 and the keys to channel 1 in the hardware controller then setting Impact to channel 10?

May be the case that keyboard note on is overriding the input at the source(and thus negating).

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I checked the pad settings on my controller, and indeed they are set to midi channel 10. So i set the Impact channel to midi channel 10, and now the drum pads do work with Impact. :) The keys seem to still send on midi channel 1, so i can't use them when i set Impact to channel 10. Is channel 10 somewhat of the standard midi channel for drum pads to send midi data? And if, why is that the case? All other controls on my keyboard seem to send on the global channel (0).

Oh, and i also wonder why Studio One doesn't allow to send midi on all channels for tracks. Cubase allows that e.g.

Channel 10 is the MIDI standard for drums which is why the pads are set that way.

Glad you got it to work with the pads. You can assign the impact pads notes that are different and set impact to different channels.

Don't know about your hardware pads though.

chk071 wrote:Oh, and i also wonder why Studio One doesn't allow to send midi on all channels for tracks. Cubase allows that e.g.
Probably because it doesn't handle midi channel data at the clip level. You can't have a clip in Studio One playing multiple midi channels like Cubase and some others so sending it data from multiple midi channels would all get merged together anyway.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. :) I guess i'll just change the midi input to all inputs then on the Impact track(s), because i'd like to also be able to play the pads with midi keyboard, as there's 16 pads, but my midi keyboard only has 8 drum pads.

Or use a Chorder NoteFX plugin to map / transpose the same 8 pads on your keyboard to the other 8 Impact pads and switch it on to play the other 8 pads. You can use that plugin to remap the pitches of any incoming midi notes.

Or you can do this below if they're one hitters. Load two instances using 8 pads each in Impact into a multi-instrument and filter it by velocity. Play soft (vel 0 to 64), hit the first 8 pads, play hard (vel 65 to 127), hit the second instance, the second set of 8 pads....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”