will we likely be gratified of a "Valhallaspring" plugin in the future ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ariston wrote:Um, to play devil's advocate here: Springage is awfully good.
Is it? It thought it was rather awfully awful? :hihi:

For Starters, its decay time goes from two to six seconds - real springs usually go from around 1.2 to 4 seconds though, afaik - and besides the envelope somehow seems really wrong to me. In Springage the tail appears to fade rather linearly, while a real spring fades exponentially, I think.
Also the "boing" doesn't sound right to me at all and neither the frequency response...

what hardware have you been comparing it too? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:

For Starters, its decay time goes from 2seconds to six seconds - real springs usually go from around 1.2 seconds to 4 seconds - it's too long and besides the envelope somehow seems really wrong to me. In Springage the tail seems to fade rather linearly, while a real spring fades exponentially, I think.
Also the "boing" doesn't sound right to me at all and neither the frequency response...

Ahhh. I've been comparing it to my studio that's full of spring reverbs... Fender, Telefunken, Hammond, Marshall... you name it.

What hardware are YOU using as a comparison?

Oh, how nice - a penis comparison - how the hell did I manage to get into this? I really need to learn to shut the f**k up in due time.

I tested it before and - without really analyzing it - found that it didn't really sound like spring reverb to me at all - so your post made me re-evaluate it tonight and for that I compared it side by side to a recording that I just made using an ancient ("patent pending") Hammond Type IV. I know it's probably not a completely valid comparison though, since Overloud seem to seek to emulate old amplifiers as well, while my own chain was rather clean...

Unfortunately I don't have a studio full of vintage spring reverbs though, so you are probably are a lot more experienced than me... :oops:

All I can compare spring reverb emulations to is what I know from playing through a few amps (including both guitar combos and (transistor) rotary amps), some multi-keyboards (mostly Elka), a Danelectro Spring King, an Echocord Super 76 and the already mentioned Hammond unit - all in all no more than about ten different spring tanks... so no, nothing compared to you, I guess, but still I feel I have to say that Springage doesn't sound right to me.

So what do you say about the points I brought up then, experienced as you obviously are?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Oh, how nice - a penis comparison - how the hell did I manage to get into this? I really need to learn to shut the f**k up in due time.

I tested it before and - without really analyzing it - found that it didn't really sound like spring reverb to me at all - so your post made me re-evaluate it tonight and for that I compared it side by side to a recording that I just made using an ancient ("patent pending") Hammond Type IV. I know it's probably not a completely valid comparison though, since Overloud seem to seek to emulate old amplifiers as well, while my own chain was rather clean...

Unfortunately I don't have a studio full of vintage spring reverbs though, so you are probably are a lot more experienced than me... :oops:

All I can compare spring reverb emulations to is what I know from playing through a few amps (including both guitar combos and (transistor) rotary amps), some multi-keyboards (mostly Elka), a Danelectro Spring King, an Echocord Super 76 and the already mentioned Hammond unit - all in all no more than about ten different spring tanks... so no, nothing compared to you, I guess, but still I feel I have to say that Springage doesn't sound right to me.

So what do you say about the points I brought up then, experienced as you obviously are?
I say... that Image

ariston wrote:I say... that Image
Skywalker has a thinner one than Darth Vador

:clown: :roll:

Krakatau wrote:
ariston wrote:I say... that Image
Skywalker has a thinner one than Darth Vador

:clown: :roll:
That's just the skewed perspective.

On a more serious note, I like the way Springage sounds. I couldn't give a rat's ass about authenticity, really. It's got that spring reverb vibe, and that's close enough for disco. And anyhow, to reiterate what I was saying in another thread, you should always judge for yourself, and not rely on somebody else's opinion, be they me, the holy ghost, or Mr. Irony-Free-Zone here.

ariston wrote:Now, as I've got the Vandal amp sim in my folder somewhere, and seeing as it's got an awesome spring reverb in there, maybe Sascha Eversmeier, now of U-He fame, could get crackin' on this one.
so we shall perhaps be gratified of a U-he Federev ?

( ...or alike ?)

:clown: :)

ariston wrote: On a more serious note, I like the way Springage sounds. I couldn't give a rat's ass about authenticity, really. It's got that spring reverb vibe, and that's close enough for disco.
You see, the only point I tried to make is that to me it does not seem that it has "that spring reverb vibe". Besides it would depend on the sort of disco whether it's close enough, I think.

I really dig the Spirit Reverb plugin: http://aegeanmusic.com/spirit-reverb

I've got the PSP Spring, along with the GSi one, and the Aegean is my favorite. Run an instance after a tape delay like Satin and you can get really close to a Space Echo-ish dub delay. That particular sound works on just about everything IMO (vocals, snares, guitars, keys, synths).

My hope is that Sean is working on a combination spring reverb+tape delay (with a green UI) and that's why he's been conspicuously absent from this thread. If he could do for springs what he did for tapes and combine it with a fantastic tape-like delay, I think he'd be onto something. It doesn't need to perfectly emulate every aspect of tape or every circuit in a Space Echo, but it just needs to sound cool. I'm sure he could do that. And if we were to just get a spring with no tape delay, that's no problem too.

ariston wrote:
jens wrote:

For Starters, its decay time goes from 2seconds to six seconds - real springs usually go from around 1.2 seconds to 4 seconds - it's too long and besides the envelope somehow seems really wrong to me. In Springage the tail seems to fade rather linearly, while a real spring fades exponentially, I think.

Ahhh. I've been comparing it to my studio that's full of spring reverbs... Fender, Telefunken, Hammond, Marshall... you name it.

What hardware are YOU using as a comparison?
spring age is very usable, i am with you.

For those who want that BOING spring sound, there is the softube. Between that, the PSP and overloud all spring needs have been covered for years.

The only point to Sean doing an all new one is if he does it as good as the UAD BX 20. That's the only plugin spring verb that stands out above all the other native stuff at this stage. That's the standard Sean needs to match. I am sure he is fully capable of doing it, well not sure, but absolutely bloody positively sure! i know he can. Up to him whether he thinks the pay off will be worth it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I really dig the Spirit Reverb plugin: http://aegeanmusic.com/spirit-reverb
I tried this one today - had never heard of it before. The weird UI aside, it's definitely got something. I played some electric guitar through it and was instantly reminded of the spring reverb in my first amp. Pretty nice, and really otherworldly when you extend the virtual springs to ridiculous lengths.

ariston wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I really dig the Spirit Reverb plugin: http://aegeanmusic.com/spirit-reverb
I tried this one today - had never heard of it before. The weird UI aside, it's definitely got something. I played some electric guitar through it and was instantly reminded of the spring reverb in my first amp. Pretty nice, and really otherworldly when you extend the virtual springs to ridiculous lengths.
Yep. When I first demoed it, I did the same thing: started playing electric guitar through it. Sounded amazing at this task so I bought it. The GUI can definitely be confusing though. The sound makes up for it IMO.

Now that one is seriously good in my opinion - personally I don't think Springage can hold a candle to it.

In the Spirit Reverb demo video you can hear about 2:40 that the "drip" spring characteristic sounds rather fake.. nothing could replace my Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, but otherwise wow, Spirit Reverb is seriously good for digital.

MogwaiBoy wrote:In the Spirit Reverb demo video you can hear about 2:40 that the "drip" spring characteristic sounds rather fake.. nothing could replace my Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, but otherwise wow, Spirit Reverb is seriously good for digital.
I've just downloaded the demo and indeed, it is a very inspired and inspiring emulation, even as an approximation of real spring reverbs, i appreciate the intelligence of the concept

Return to “Effects”