ARP 2600 Clone?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACE (Any Cable Everywhere) ARP 2600 V3 TimewARP 2600

wagtunes wrote:
Daags wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well that's the 2600 I want to see in VST form and I'll pay handsomely for it.
why ?
Because I grew up with the Who (well, actually long before the Who) and love their sound. That's why?

Besides, do I need a reason? It's my money.

well then, perhaps you should adjust your desires to account for the other lovely pieces of hardware that existed in the no doubt exquisite signal chain from arp2600 to listening medium.

not to worry, just a common fallacy. 'artist X uses instrument Y ...oh gimmee instrument Y nao!' ... blissfully ignorant to the notion of high-end signal chains and mastering.

Daags wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Daags wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well that's the 2600 I want to see in VST form and I'll pay handsomely for it.
why ?
Because I grew up with the Who (well, actually long before the Who) and love their sound. That's why?

well then, perhaps you should adjust your desires to account for the other lovely pieces of hardware that existed in the no doubt exquisite signal chain from arp2600 to listening medium.

not to worry, just a common fallacy. 'artist X uses instrument Y ...oh gimmee instrument Y nao!' ... blissfully ignorant to the notion of high-end signal chains and mastering.
...or someone playing an organ or a guitar through a synths filter.

FWIW both TimewARP 2600 and ARP2600V2 also seem to include a FX version opf the plugin.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Daags wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Daags wrote:
why ?

That applies to just about any synth ever made. So in that case, we might as well say "screw it" and not buy any synths because none of them are going to sound like artist X using synth Y.

But I'd rather have a synth that sounds closer to the one that artist X used so that I can maybe get closer to the sound I want than to use a synth that sounds farther away from synth X whereas I'd then have to work that much harder to get the sound I want.

Time for a "not the same thing, but" post. I'm finding the System 100 plug in to be sounding pretty juicy. If Roland can code this, surely someone could do a decent ARP 2600 emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ontol wrote:
wagtunes wrote:... The ARP 2600 used by The Who on "Won't Get Fooled Again"...
wagtunes wrote:... They're just not 2600s.
I've been waiting for this. :wink:

Thank you, I feel complete now. :D
I'm so glad I made your day.

Does Baba O Reily work for you?

I think The Who did not use Arp 2600. Maybe 2500...the beast! But I could be wrong. I was a baby then.

wagtunes wrote:Does Baba O Reily work for you?
Pete Townshend wrote:Baba O’Riley was a cheat. I couldn’t get the sequencers and mix-sequencers on the ARP under my fingers fast enough so I emulated sequencing and tape delays using the Marimba Arpeggiator effect on my Lowrey Berkshire.
[edit]
thejonsolo wrote:I think The Who did not use Arp 2600. Maybe 2500...the beast! But I could be wrong. I was a baby then.
Both:

Can anyone tell me what the leftmost two modules on the RH wing are? One looks a bit like the mix-sequencer, but not a version I'm familiar with:

[edit 2]
The leftmost module is a 1026 Preset Voltage unit, generally used with the other sequencers via back panel connection (hence its positioning - not above the matrix).
The other one, I still don't have a clue. Can't see the Arp logo or module number markings on it, so maybe it's a custom build? And if that's a functional patch in the photos, then it appears to be getting input from the 1050 mix-sequencer on the main panel, sending independent signals to the oscillator frequency of the three voice modules, then receiving each module's final output. And tracking the keyboard (though no gate or trig input). Any ideas?
None of the really dumb people I knew when I was young are young any more.

I was playing around with Reaktor 6 blocks today and it occurred to me that if a great 2600 emulation were going to happen, it'll be when NI makes it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I was playing around with Reaktor 6 blocks today and it occurred to me that if a great 2600 emulation were going to happen, it'll be when NI makes it.
Yeah, as I was saying earlier, for any particular patch, I think that blocks are probably the way to an authentic sound. It just won't have the workflow of a 2600.

thejonsolo wrote:I am sure that many here would agree with Arturia's Arp2600V. I have used it with good success.
+1

EnGee wrote:NI also can do it in Reaktor, but it would be very cpu heavy I can imagine.
Depends on what you're doing. Some of the blocks demos that 6 comes with are crazy if you run things at 96 khz. (note, they don't need it) but if you put together something with a similar architecture to a 2600, it's not too bad. Again, you only really need to run it at high sample rates if you're doing a lot of audio rate modulation stuff.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
EnGee wrote:NI also can do it in Reaktor, but it would be very cpu heavy I can imagine.
Depends on what you're doing. Some of the blocks demos that 6 comes with are crazy if you run things at 96 khz. (note, they don't need it) but if you put together something with a similar architecture to a 2600, it's not too bad. Again, you only really need to run it at high sample rates if you're doing a lot of audio rate modulation stuff.
Yes, you are right. I was thinking about Reaktor 5 when Imagined the cpu usage, but taking that Reaktor 6 is better and also if NI do the emulation as monophonic (like in Monark), then I think it will great and not so much cpu even if it runs at 88200 sample rate like with Monark.

So, it would be great if NI take a note and make it (maybe with the same team of Monark). The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the possibility of NI doing it is more than u-he. Well, let's wait and see! I don't think it never passed on their minds.

pdxindy wrote:A real Arp 2600 sounds like a wild animal and the 2600v a domesticated one.

I love running Bazille at 96k. It gives that little bit extra. Bazille can make me forget its a softsynth. There are times when it sounds like real electricity bursting out like the snap of an electrical arc.

It's exciting that Urs has not sat back but is still pushing the filter development into new territory.
The way you differentiate between real ARP and Arturia, TimewARP2600 does that for me, it too makes me forget I am playing with a program and not a real synthesizer that is alive. In comparison to most softsynths it sounds exactly like you describe it, in fact I have used the same metaphor in the past as well. :lol:

And yeah, Bazille :tu: :tu:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

My A-B-C-D-E tests between WOW TimewARP, Arturia ARP 2600V, an ARP 2600P V3, an ARP 2601 V1, and an ARP 2601 V2, the TimewARP was closest to all of the hardware 2600s (and sounded most like the ARP 2601 V1)

Return to “Instruments”