Linnstrument with Multi-Timbral Dave Smith analog synths in note-per-channel mode.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While the Prophet 12 and 08 are only have bi-timbral, the Tetra has tetra-timbrality (4 voice) and the Tempest, I would assume, has hex-timbrality (6 voice).

Has anyone used note-per-channel mode with these synths? Any demos to share? I have a Prophet 08 but since its only bi-timbral I'm looking for another analog synth module that can play nice with note-per-channel. Two touches aren't enough, 4 is probably fine. In theory the Tetra could fit the bill.

I'm sure the Tetra would work fine for 4-note polyphony, but the problem is that each voice will have a unique patch instead of all voices using the same patch. This means that while you can set all 4 timbres to the same patch, any parameter changes must be made identically to all 4 timbres. For example, if you wish to increase the filter frequency you must do it exactly the same for each of the 4 timbres. For this reason, synths that permit channel-per-note operation on a single patch are easier to use. That said, if you don't mind first creating LinnStrument-optimized patches in Tetra and then selecting the same patch in all 4 timbres, it should work fine.

My bandmate has a Tetra, I'll see if he'll let me borrow it for a bit and post my findings. He's never used the "combo"/quadtimbral mode so he didn't have any answers for me. I was hoping it was a simple matter to select the same patch for each of the four combo voices and the combo would always reference back to the original patch.

Ex:
1. load Patch 12 into slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Combo 1
2. Play Combo 1, up to four pads can be touched and have independent X/Y/Z control.
2. Change, say, from a Square Wave to a Sawtooth for OSC 1, on Patch 12
3. Play Combo 1, all four voices reflect the single change to Patch 12.

How about the Tempest? I'm really interested in the possibilities with a Tempest + Linnstrument setup, but own neither (yet). From reading the manual, it sounds like the tempest's sequencer cannot record expression. But can the polyphonic pitch bend be performed live?

I'm afraid Tempest doesn't currently have a multi-timbral mode or MPE-type mode. Given that its principal function is a drum machine, it isn't a high priority for Tempest users compared to many other requests. However, I'll try to raise that priority with Dave.

I sent a recording (Ableton set) to my brother, who has a Tetra/MophoX4 combo to test this and it seemed to work pretty well as far as pitch bend goes. I expect the Y and Z axis would be fine also if I was plugged directly into the Tetra myself, but Live recorded the channel pressure and CC1 messages as automation (not MIDI) so that info was lost in the test.

We are assuming the Mopho worked because it was just acting as additional voices for the Tetra, and the Mopho by itself would probably not divide into channels properly.

EDIT: My brother tells me didn't use the MophoX4 for this test, just 2 passes of Tetra.
Last edited by shutterdownmax on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unfortunately, Live strips away all MIDI channel information upon reception, so Live can't record polyphonic expression.

Ah, I had assumed that the Tempest could have a specific voice assigned to a specific MIDI channel. I didn't realize that wasn't possible.

I had previously envisioned that it would be possible to use, say, five of the voices being used by the internal sequencer as a drum kit and use the 6th as a voice as a melodic mono synth controlled with an external MIDI controller on a specific MIDI channel, or 4 (four internally sequenced voices)+2 (two voices controlled with external MIDI controllers with two MIDI channels), or 3+3, 2+4, 1+5, or, ultimately, 0 sequenced voices with all 6 voices being controlled by 6 separate MIDI channels.

It sort of does; maybe this is a recent change? It just doesn't record it as MIDI. So I have a set of 8 duplicate tracks of an Analog patch, each receiving MIDI on a different channel. I use Live's MIDI Mapping to set CC11 per channel to control the volume on that channel's track, and it receives them separately when I play. It's rather tedious to set up, but it seems to work.

I tried to attach the Live set but that doesn't seem to be allowed.

Roger_Linn wrote:I'm afraid Tempest doesn't currently have a multi-timbral mode or MPE-type mode. Given that its principal function is a drum machine, it isn't a high priority for Tempest users compared to many other requests. However, I'll try to raise that priority with Dave.
I have been badgering them for years for this for midi guitar, maybe now MPE type instruments are becoming more popular they might change it. You have more clout than me as well :)
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I just received my Linnstrument and plan on using it with my Mopho Key and Tetra which will give me 5 voices. Actually thinking about getting another Tetra for more voices.

I'll let you on know how it goes. Ill program a multitimbral patch per Rogers instructions and see how it fares. I was browsing through the Mopho manual last night and I didnt see a setting for pitch bend but I might have missed it. UPDATE - it's a program parameter, not global, called Pitch Wheel Range that has a range of 12 semi tones.

I was browsing earlier and read an old Sonic State review of the Tetra that said the filter isn't a multi mode filter. Does that mean it's shared and won't work very well in multitimbral mode, and therefore not ideal with the Linnstrument? I know this isn't a DSI forum, but it seems relevant.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/11/ ... log-synth/

UPDATE - only has low pass, no high or band which is what multimode seems to be referring too. Confusing because you have to enable multimode in global parameters to enable multitimbral patches to go out separate MIDI channels. Should be a program CC, but might be able to sequence the switch.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp- ... pdf?23c8d8

I recently picked up a Tetra, and yes channel-per-note on the Linnstrument will work well with Tetra in Multi-Mode. My workflow for making a Combo on the Tetra:

Write a single-layer (non-stacked) Program with the Tetra in Program Mode and the Linnstrument in OneChannel Mode.
Switch to Combo Mode, find a slot to over-write. Change Voice 1 to the Program created in Program Mode, repeat for Voice 2, 3 and 4 (more if you have more voices via Poly-Chain).
Open Global settings and enable Multi-Mode.
Change Linnstrument to ChPerNote mode.

Interestingly, if you are scrolling through Programs with Multi-Mode off and then enable Multi-Mode and ChPerNote, the Program will play with ChPerNote response, but if you edit the Program, or scroll to another Program AFTER you enter Mult-Mode you will end up with un-matched voices. Seems like a small firmware change would make the Tetra a great module for the Linnstrument. Too bad it is out of production and as such, not likely to receive an update. As it is, its a bit cumbersome to make all the required edits.

I'm wondering how the Futuresonus Parva will pair with the Linnstrument. Having an Octo-Timbral (or stacked Quad-Timbral) module would be great.

I'm having the same problem with un-matched voices. Seems like the solution is to toggle Multi-Mode off and on the Tetra when changing programs. It really seems like that should be a program option rather than a global, but maybe a limitation of the architecture. It is a shame, because the Tetra is really more bang for the buck than any other synth I can think off, especially because it can still be had new for <$600. A poly-chained Tetra(s) could be a dream instrument for the Linnstrument if not for the Multi-Mode flakiness.

I wrote to the support email address on the DSI site and asked if the beta firmware that is floating around (1.6.19) would help out ChPerNote users.

The response:

"The issue you noticed when scrolling through programs, setting edits to the program, and turning Multi Mode on is expected. When Multi Mode is turned on, the patch is reloaded to the voice. As such, you must "write" any edits made to a patch prior to turning Multi mode on.

From what you describe, there aren't any changes on the latest Tetra BETA OS which would affect the synth's response to MIDI controller changes sent on multiple channels."

Not that I'm a programmer and would be able to do anything with it, but now that the Tetra has been EOL'd, it would be cool if DSI open-sourced the OS. It seems that a few tweaks to the OS would make the Tetra an excellent affordable/powerful companion to the Linnstrument.

To be fair to DSI, open-source software is a decision that each manufacturer must make, and almost all of them don't open-source their software. In the case of Tetra, open-sourcing the Tetra code would effectively be open-sourcing most of the code for DSI's other synths because they share a common code base. Also to be fair to DSI, almost no Tetra users have requested Channel-Per-Note operation, but have requested many other things that they feel are more important. Keep in mind also that the MPE specification hasn't even been approved yet by the MMA and may change. Tetra actually does quite a lot for its price, but it's difficult to include every feature. I suspect that as more users are buying expressive controllers, manufacturers are getting more requests for true Channel-Per-Note operation. And once the MMA approves the MPE spec, full MPE operation (merely a plug-and-play implementation of Channel-Per-Note operation) will start appearing in lots of software and hardware sound generators.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”