Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The venom...
Pity i can't filter out his "valuable contributions" when they are quoted by someone else...
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

stillshaded wrote:
Ok sorry you're right. I shouldn't get in the way of your intellectual pursuits
Well, that is on your own risk, but this waiting makes me picky and crumpy so if you bend over and say "spank me instead", I am all reflex.
Nothing personal. Sorry if It seems otherwise. We are good as far as I go.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mutant wrote:The venom...
Pity i can't filter out his "valuable contributions" when they are quoted by someone else...
Great. Bravehearth returns with a vengeance. Looking out the keyhole while mommy wipes his ass.

Ok so I have mine now.

Sometimes it does click a little bit when the filter is fully closed. Other times, it doesn't. Sometimes there's a jump between 0% "shape" for the oscillator waveshaping for the saw and triangle and the first 1%, like the dead zone is a bit too large and it fluffs the transition from no waveshaping to the smallest amount. Other times, it's a completely smooth transition. The delay is noisy as all getout. The filter can seem a bit "weedy" on some sounds, but not others, and the resonance makes the volume drop off a bit too quickly (there's even a hidden amplifier offset in a menu to compensate from patch to patch).

There's all your potential negatives. Oh, and sometimes, it goes out of tune really quickly :hihi:

Are any of these enough to put me off? Not at all. For the price I'm not expecting a Minimoog, in fact, this is way more interesting than a Minimoog, already I've found out half a dozen really cool tricks to extend the tonal palette, I've already made a bunch of patches and played the crap out of it. It's potential as a musical instrument is barely impinged on.

The clicking with the filter being closed only happens sometimes (well, about 40% of the time I'd say). I think it's caused by some kind of drift causing calibration issues. Since I'm mostly going to use it to record stuff played via MIDI, I can always do a re-take if I'm not happy. But mostly those little clicks will be masked by other sounds such as hi-hats, or just too small to notice.

Oh, and the 4 voice polyphony, I thought it would bug me, but actually, it feels so *generous*. Being able to play 2 note pads that fade into eachother, or 4-voice chords with a short release, on a totally knobular analog synth is an amazing feeling. I tend to think of the voice stealing a bit like how a guitar works, if it had four strings that is. You just adapt your playing style to suit.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

That's a good way of looking at it in terms of the polyphony, Sendy.

Sendy did you read some of the possible solutions for the click problem on GS ?
1. Setting LFO keytrack OFF.
2. Setting portamento to 0.
Maybe there were more, but right now i can't remember.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

JCJR wrote:The complaints I had which steered me away from BBD delay as soon as affordable digital delay came along-- A constant low-level distortion, and not a very good frequency response much above 1000 Hz, when using more than trivially-short delay settings. Guitar player friends got good use out of em, but they just sounded too dull and muddy to me, inserted on vocal or keyboards. Even the expensive "studio quality" units like that old Loft rack mount unit, or the old Yamaha rack mount analog delays.

Fer instance tape echoplex had its share of noise, hum, dropouts, warble, etc, but it was purt great to the ear for vocal or keyboards (or guitar). Echoplex wasn't "hi-fi" but had an intentional hi-mid boost, probably un-intentional high frequency rolloff, and probably intentional low frequency rolloff, which allowed low levels of delay to enhance a track.

Whereas the BBD delays didn't have much hi-mids and no treble at all, so they had to be turned up too loud before you could hear the effect, which only contributed a bunch of low-mid mushy confusion to the track so far as I could hear.
Yes, I agree completely, especially in regards to using them on synths. Guitars benefit from those characteristics, as do pokey sounding synths like the Volca Keys, but I think the fuller sounding Minilogue has less to gain and more to lose. Anyway, in my mind, the lower noise 1.04 delay can only be a good thing.

HI Sendy. Thanks for the feedback on the dead zones and waveshaping. Is it possible that you are playing the presets and the knobs are just latching to the programmed spot? I noticed similar behaviour on some of the patches but it was just the programmed settings and the knobs playing catch-up. There are several modes for interacting with knobs so that they don't jump when touched (especially for live performance)... If this is basic information, please disregard my musings. - Scotty

Sendy wrote:Ok so I have mine now.

Sometimes it does click a little bit when the filter is fully closed. Other times, it doesn't. Sometimes there's a jump between 0% "shape" for the oscillator waveshaping for the saw and triangle and the first 1%, like the dead zone is a bit too large and it fluffs the transition from no waveshaping to the smallest amount. Other times, it's a completely smooth transition. The delay is noisy as all getout. The filter can seem a bit "weedy" on some sounds, but not others, and the resonance makes the volume drop off a bit too quickly (there's even a hidden amplifier offset in a menu to compensate from patch to patch).

There's all your potential negatives. Oh, and sometimes, it goes out of tune really quickly :hihi:

Are any of these enough to put me off? Not at all. For the price I'm not expecting a Minimoog, in fact, this is way more interesting than a Minimoog, already I've found out half a dozen really cool tricks to extend the tonal palette, I've already made a bunch of patches and played the crap out of it. It's potential as a musical instrument is barely impinged on.

The clicking with the filter being closed only happens sometimes (well, about 40% of the time I'd say). I think it's caused by some kind of drift causing calibration issues. Since I'm mostly going to use it to record stuff played via MIDI, I can always do a re-take if I'm not happy. But mostly those little clicks will be masked by other sounds such as hi-hats, or just too small to notice.

Oh, and the 4 voice polyphony, I thought it would bug me, but actually, it feels so *generous*. Being able to play 2 note pads that fade into eachother, or 4-voice chords with a short release, on a totally knobular analog synth is an amazing feeling. I tend to think of the voice stealing a bit like how a guitar works, if it had four strings that is. You just adapt your playing style to suit.

Hi Scotty. No, these waveshaping glitches were based on starting on an INIT preset and just tweaking the shape knob back and fourth. It's a tiny glitch, and half of the time it doesn't happen, it's just something I noticed. Like the closed filter pops, I believe it's something to do with internal levels drifting.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Scotty wrote:HI Sendy. Thanks for the feedback on the dead zones and waveshaping. Is it possible that you are playing the presets and the knobs are just latching to the programmed spot? I noticed similar behaviour on some of the patches but it was just the programmed settings and the knobs playing catch-up. There are several modes for interacting with knobs so that they don't jump when touched (especially for live performance)... If this is basic information, please disregard my musings. - Scotty

Sendy wrote:Ok so I have mine now.

Sometimes there's a jump between 0% "shape" for the oscillator waveshaping for the saw and triangle and the first 1%, like the dead zone is a bit too large and it fluffs the transition from no waveshaping to the smallest amount. Other times, it's a completely smooth transition. The delay is noisy as all getout. The filter can seem a bit "weedy" on some sounds, but not others, and the resonance makes the volume drop off a bit too quickly (there's even a hidden amplifier offset in a menu to compensate from patch to patch).

could very well be. I noticed a couple of programmed sequenced that must be just on the edge ... a couple of patches sequence just below the cutoff threshold and disappear; if you push the cutoff they come right back in.... This is the nature of analog and I suspect the challenge of creating a preset system for something that has some inherent instability. I love it... all of the quirks and character....If I want consistent I'll turn on my Virus or load a VST. I bought this for the magic and this has it in spades. Very happy with it!

Sendy wrote:Hi Scotty. No, these waveshaping glitches were based on starting on an INIT preset and just tweaking the shape knob back and fourth. It's a tiny glitch, and half of the time it doesn't happen, it's just something I noticed. Like the closed filter pops, I believe it's something to do with internal levels drifting.

Sendy, if you get a chance to try, am curious whether re-tuning (shift-play IIRC) would have any effect on the closed-filter clicks? Some old poly synths would calibrate more than just the VCOs in their auto-calibrate routine. Maybe this is so on the minilogue as well. Just curious whether that would be the case.

JCJR wrote:Sendy, if you get a chance to try, am curious whether re-tuning (shift-play IIRC) would have any effect on the closed-filter clicks? Some old poly synths would calibrate more than just the VCOs in their auto-calibrate routine. Maybe this is so on the minilogue as well. Just curious whether that would be the case.
Ha, I tried that :) No luck I'm afraid. You just have to wait for it to be in a good mood as far as I can see :hihi:

I will try it again next time I play it, just in case I made a mistake.

Thanks Sendy!

Minilogue is now at home with her analog sisters.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”