StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

masterhiggins wrote:
ariston wrote:
mcbpete wrote:Is that 'logic' as in short for 'logical' or as in the Logic application ? If the latter then it seems to be happening in Ableton Live too ...
Yeah... no Macs in my household!
Way to stick it to corporations, man!
Huh?

ariston wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
ariston wrote:
mcbpete wrote:Is that 'logic' as in short for 'logical' or as in the Logic application ? If the latter then it seems to be happening in Ableton Live too ...
Huh?
I think he is joking about this.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

nm
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
ariston wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
ariston wrote:
Huh?
I think he is joking about this.
Oooooohhhh, I see. Well, it's not a particularly funny joke. Or even faintly amusing.

I'm not a huge Apple fan, because I tend to be leery of imbalance in general and mighty corporations in particular. But I'm not an idealist, I own a wonderful ipod (120 GB) that's been serving me well since 2008 without a glitch, and I plan to get an ipad this year.

Stick that in yer gullet and wheeze.

Back to topic. Although we're quite good right now, don't you think?

nm

Just re-installed it, not sure what the issue was before but the size is fine on medium now. I had an earlier beta, pretty sure with a different skin.

The issue occurred in Cubase 8.5, whatever happened, it's not happening now.

Also, the osc's do not seem to be resetting at a fixed point, is this intentional?

Edit: Yes it is, there's an R next to the oscs to switch.. :)

My second question is why ADSR and not AHDSFR, nicer for percussion, though it seems the envelopes are well tuned.

HardSinc wrote:Just re-installed it, not sure what the issue was before but the size is fine on medium now. I had an earlier beta, pretty sure with a different skin.

Also, the osc's do not seem to be resetting at a fixed point, is this intentional?

My second question is why ADSR and not AHDSFR, nicer for percussion, though it seems the envelopes are well tuned.
At the very lowest amounts the envelope knobs drop back down when raising them with shift held, the mouse over value remains the same but the graphic drowns down to the wrong value. Also when held and move up and down for a while, in conjunction with shift, even when you release the mouse button the knob still rotates as long as shift is held, not sure if this is intended.

stardustmedia wrote:You're welcome... I see I'm making you guys sweat :D

Here are the steps I do:
- Open Logic and start a new empty project
- Add one instrument, empty channel, no routings no FX
- Add StiX Stereo version (not the Multi-Out Stereo version)
- Add notes to the bass drum line in the multi sequence
- Activate the reverb (click the grey button to make it green)
- Hit spacebar (starts playing), you hear the bass drum playing
- Turn up REV send above value 31, distortion happens = NOK
- Save that session to the desktop (as a 'folder')
- Close Logic and open the session again by double clicking the file you just saved
- StiX is shown again (you haven't closed the plugin window above ;) ) and shows the saved settings
- Hit play and you hear a nice reverb = OK

- Repeat the steps above, but instead of creating your own sequence just load any preset with reverb sends
- I used '120 House A LtZ'
- Instant distortion the first time you hit play = NOK
- After reloading the session, nice reverb = OK

So saving and reopening the session loads the reverb correctly. At least here on my machine.

PS: Another one for the list ... I realised (when fiddling around with the bug) that it'd be wonderful if the fx-send section would dynamically change its label according to the drum pad selected, e.g. FX SEND BD, or FX SEND CRASH, etc. So the user don't have to look up to the drum pads on top to see what's selected.

Reproduced this bug with 0.9.8g, but this time Logic crashes and we've got the crash log (see attachement) :pray: :pray:

I noticed that there doesn't have to be any sound, so I was able to reproduce the bug each time doing this:
- Start with an empty session, create one instrument track, no region
- Load StiX (reproduced with Stereo & Multi-Out Stereo)
- Activate the reverb by clicking the grey button
- Turn up reverb send of any drum pad = CRASH

The crash log 2 is the one created after the steps above. The other crash log (no. 1) is from the steps I posted couple days ago (see quoted steps). Probably caused by the same bug anyway, but you never know.

IMPORTANT with 0.9.8g, NEW BUG
Loading the Multi-Out version results in a very loud nasty distortion sound (not the same as with the reverb send).

StIx v0.9.8g
Logic 10.2.1
Mavericks 10.9.5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Lotuzia wrote:
mcbpete wrote:
ariston wrote:Oh, that's good! What about the strange behaviour of the init presets whenever I launch the plugin? Can you or anyone replicate that at all, or am I the only one with this bug? The sound is really loud, noise comes through even tho the level is turned down, and once I move Filter env knob or switch presets, it's back to normal.
Haha, not just me then ............

............ For Lotuzia's reference, this is what the 10 default/init drums sound like straight after the plugin loads:

* PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS VERY LOUD, ENSURE YOU SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES ARE TURNED DOWN FIRST *

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/stix_default.mp3
It seems we found this one. It's a Logic specific bug. something wasnt initialised properly. It will be fixed in the next beta. (if it's only what we think) To Stardust : It might as well fix the reverb bug ( but this one we cant replicate at the moment ).( the list is not finished :wink: )
Apologies, in all the ilok drama over the last couple of pages I didn't notice 0.9.8g had been released. This seems to have fixed this noisy default init drums problem - at least it does on my machine ! So thanks team :)

Just had a little spare time in the studio to check there v0.9.8g with Logic 10.2.0 and also Mavericks 10.9.5, but with different audio setup. Studio = Apogee connected thru Thunderbolt, Home = Grace connected thru USB

I can reproduce the reverb send and multi-out bug here as well.

I attached the crash log from the reverb send bug from the studio as well. Maybe you can find something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

HardSinc wrote:Just re-installed it, not sure what the issue was before but the size is fine on medium now. I had an earlier beta, pretty sure with a different skin.

Glad one of the 3 GUI sizes fit well your needs :)

Envelopes : Many many types of envelopes are available on different drum machines ( some having only 2/3 segments, including in the vintage ladies )

In StiX, you also have the sequencer per step GATE TIME parameter. It adds a lot to the versatility of StiX envelopes. You can also use the two LFOs as additional envelopes. Or even oscillators/samples in cross synthesis. When you combine all that, you really have a lot of possibilities, including some that an ahdsfr EVs -sometimes found on Drum machines mainly/only dealing with samples -wouldn't give you. Otoh, when you look at true analog drum machines, you'll find very often ADSR EVs, or even EVs with less segments (ADR, AR, AD etc ) . And the base of StiX is virtual analog, even is FM, Filter FM, Samples, or cross synthesis complete the picture to give an interesting panorama.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

VariKusBrainZ wrote:In the sequencer it would be so much nicer to be able to click and drag across the steps to activate or change the values.

Having to click each step is a chore and a slow down.

The fill column/row is a great idea I have to say :tu:
Like Ramses or some step sequencers.

Well, sliding click is less adapted to XoX sequencer I think, where you'll most often have some 'steps' already populated.

If you want to fill one line, or erase it, it might be quicker to use the Fill button, then possibly remove one or more steps. I *think* it reflects more the way our brain works with rythm, because it allows it to concentrate on the real function : We want a line, and possibly concentrate on where we want holes ( missing hits). Hence why I choose this function. Ymmv of course.

The only case where this could have been handy for a few cases is the velocity pane I think. But here again, besides making crescendos/decrescendos, most often you'll have some already existing velocities that you dont want to touch. So the single line editor events are somewhat related to the hits/populated steps. It's a bit unusual to want to draw 'curves' in it for the drum machine case.

Tbh I had another -that I find much more elegant- solution for this kind of cases, but due to the lack of time and getting short of space on the UI, we choose not to implement it. But maybe for a future version :)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

ariston wrote:Just checked... the "init bug" is now gone on my machine. Are you guys working 24 hours a day? :)
Thanks for the report. Nice. That's exactly what we hoped. Fixing it in Logic could possibly fix it in a few other hosts.

Yes, we're working a lot. Maybe an average 14 hours per day on StiX as far as I'm concerned ( But my gf forbids me to work on Sundays now, to preserve the family, and well, she's certainly right )

StiX is really a complex delicate mechanic, much more than everything I've been confronted to before :phew: If we had known what was ahead of us, we might have never started it. :hihi:

HardSinc wrote:

At the very lowest amounts the envelope knobs drop back down when raising them with shift held, the mouse over value remains the same but the graphic drowns down to the wrong value. Also when held and move up and down for a while, in conjunction with shift, even when you release the mouse button the knob still rotates as long as shift is held, not sure if this is intended.
THanks for the report, I'll have a look at this.

stardustmedia wrote:Just had a little spare time in the studio to check there v0.9.8g with Logic 10.2.0 and also Mavericks 10.9.5, but with different audio setup. Studio = Apogee connected thru Thunderbolt, Home = Grace connected thru USB

I can reproduce the reverb send and multi-out bug here as well.

I attached the crash log from the reverb send bug from the studio as well. Maybe you can find something.
Thanks, StardustMedia.

Hmm we still cant reproduce it. Crash logs tell us where is the problem, but not what causes it. But it helps a lot nonetheless. Thanks again ( Note : In the Beta 0.98 G we fixed a lot of the other things you mentioned )

Return to “Instruments”