One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Traveler wrote:Just a side question: Any idea when the KVR OSC download problem for Archive.org might be fixed? It mentions "in early January" ... still appears to be broken.

Cheers.
For downloads of any OSC month: https://archive.org/details/@kvr_osc

And about that... I'm fixing it... archive.org was being weird for a few months, but it seems ok now :tu:

Probably 1 week and it'll be good.

Strange, I have no problems whatsoever with Helm in Windows 10 (Reaper) and Linux.

I have a new cross-platform suggestion:

Clinkster VST by Loonies / Demoscene

It's available for Windows AND Mac OSX:
http://crinkler.net/Clinkster.zip (Also includes some demo songs for Renoise)

It's a really high optimized, minimal synth, but capable of some awesome things like physical modeling :hyper: It also has some kind of depth/reverb simulator. It was used in various demoscene demos.

I would find it quite satisfying to use such a "basic" (it's of course not basic) synth in an OSC :ud:

Some info here:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61592

Hanz Meyzer wrote:I have a new cross-platform suggestion:
Interesting! Will be checking this out. Anyone else try this?

bjporter wrote:
The Traveler wrote:Just a side question: Any idea when the KVR OSC download problem for Archive.org might be fixed? It mentions "in early January" ... still appears to be broken.

Cheers.
For downloads of any OSC month: https://archive.org/details/@kvr_osc

And about that... I'm fixing it... archive.org was being weird for a few months, but it seems ok now :tu:

Probably 1 week and it'll be good.
Thank you for the link and the heads up. Really appreciate your work on getting it sorted out.

Cheers.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

This thing is mad & the name is perfect,for only 12 controls & an amp envelope the sounds you can get out of it are great,no GUI might be a problem for some daws,this or xhip I'd vote for.

Unhappily, this shows no controls under WINE. Given the choice between advocating XHip vs Clinkster, I'd recommend XHip as I know that works under Linux/WINE.

caonoize wrote:

Unhappily, this shows no controls under WINE. Given the choice between advocating XHip vs Clinkster, I'd recommend XHip as I know that works under Linux/WINE.
It doesn't have a GUI. You'd have to edit it with the host provided controls.

z.prime wrote:
caonoize wrote: It doesn't have a GUI. You'd have to edit it with the host provided controls.
And there are none under fsthost/WINE. If this excites people, I guess it's yet another month I have to sit out.

caonoize wrote:

gonna try xHip, seems like a fun synth

Not to fond of Clinkster

caonoize wrote:
z.prime wrote:
caonoize wrote: It doesn't have a GUI. You'd have to edit it with the host provided controls.
And there are none under fsthost/WINE. If this excites people, I guess it's yet another month I have to sit out.
If you load the plugin in carla you do get controls ..

but still ..

rghvdberg wrote:gonna try xHip, seems like a fun synth

Not to fond of Clinkster
xHip looks interesting, too. Besides of this, it seems to be more a usual synth + NO MAC :x

The clinkster one I find so interesting, especially of the limited controls. It can do really complex sounds. You have to calculate coefficients or whatever, I read.

What are the rules in regards to convolution reverbs?
Using something bizarre as the impulse sample seems against the spirit of things, but with a proper natural impulse it is merely a realistic sounding reverb. How does the no-samples rule read on this, and to what extent?

caonoize wrote:What are the rules in regards to convolution reverbs?
Using something bizarre as the impulse sample seems against the spirit of things, but with a proper impulse it is merely a good sounding reverb. How does the no-samples rule read on this, and to what extent?
FX shouldn't significantly alter the character of the sound, this is the spirit of the competition. Using crazy impulses for reverb, flangers, etc. can alter the sound dramatically. It's a judgement call how far to take any effect, but using a convolution reverb with an impulse to get a nice reverb sound should be just fine.

Anyone tried Brainstormer ?
I haven't yet checked it out but I came across this post.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6397979

Bottom line : developer died and someone in the thread mentioned above suggested to do an OSC in memory of him. Which I think is a nice idea.

Return to “Instruments”