counter-melody or counterpoint?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NystagmusE wrote: I like what you're saying, but Axel F is by Herbie Hancock. It was also featured on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. It's also famous. Are you thinking of the same tune or something else?
I "love" when people correct someone without checking first :roll:

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_F

And it wasn't "also featured on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack" - it was written for it. If you know something we all don't, please enlighten us :help:
Fernando (FMR)

pamuma wrote:In this forum always the same or what? all you arguing about: I know more music than you, you know nothing.
Yes, for the most part. :lol:
This thread follows the classic KVR "Music Theory" arc:
- enthusiastic KVR newbie posts reasonable question
- people who know maybe a bit about theory start posting
- classically-trained/pro/old-timers tear these posts apart -- sometimes justifiably -- but usually with a dyspeptic zeal out of proportion to what's actually at stake
- pages of squabbling ensue, insults are exchanged, members add each other to "block" list
- OP posts surprise at discord, and often abandons thread due to unabated fracas

IMO, to break this vicious cycle, the Music Theory forum really needs a sticky FAQ/glossary where basic terms are defined/refined/agreed-upon. Harmony is not just a musical concept... :love:

Winstontaneous wrote:
pamuma wrote:In this forum always the same or what? all you arguing about: I know more music than you, you know nothing.
- classically-trained/pro/old-timers tear these posts apart -- sometimes justifiably -- but usually with a dyspeptic zeal out of proportion to what's actually at stake
- pages of squabbling ensue, insults are exchanged, members add each other to "block" list
- OP posts surprise at discord, and often abandons thread due to unabated fracas

IMO, to break this vicious cycle, the Music Theory forum really needs a sticky FAQ/glossary where basic terms are defined/refined/agreed-upon. Harmony is not just a musical concept... :love:
This analysis is probably a rather near approximation of the thruth. The challenge with the FAQ is that most likely those who send these questions, either won't read FAQs or don't get elightet by those. And after all, I don't see much problem in the "vicious cycle" you describe, very often, as in this thread, it generates interesting comments and even new information - which you can't say many of the KVR threads type "what is the best compressor" or "what made you scratch your arse today". :)

Winstontaneous wrote:

I do agree with that sticky. But 'classic KVR "Music Theory" arc' plays out with people fighting about products here. Not about ideas, about their tools if even that.

counterpoint doesnt sound musical at all, it sounds more like a game show or a quiz show..or even maybe a serious current affairs show.

next week on COUNTERPOINT, we discuss the geopolitical landscape of xxx.

its clearly why it causes all sorts of venom between people....words are power

Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Thank you for the fuzzification of my mind here.

Believe it or not but I was going to ask the same question...now I are confused.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Well, the example of the non-Herbie Hancock tune "Axel F" illustrates the concept nicely, of the fact of a bass line that has its own identity - regardless of its rhythmic alignment or not with the other line - amounts to 'counterpoint' per that line. And vice versa. I would not say that straight 16ths on a hihat (vs the downbeat/backbeat) in a conventional drum kit part has its own identity. And I suppose most people are talking about musical lines, ie., from a pitched instrument when we say 'counterpoint'.

Kinh wrote: Its easy just to goolge everything, pick out words like Choral and say.."ah..Chorus".."A type of church music" but unless you understand what that means its kinda pointless giving you're 2c worth (and I say 2 because Im a generous guy :hihi: ). You just stick to your samples and your loops and leave classical music alone. You wouldn't like it much anyway.
In fact I made a perfectly sensible statement. You used 'choral music', which is obviously a broad term, as if it stood for 'non-contrapuntal'. Which had no particular sense to it. NB: 'you're' contracts 'you' and 'are'; the possessive you want is written 'your'.

Your attitude is amazing. You enter a room assuming you are the big dog knowing nothing of the others, and actually fabricating personae for people. Me, I first wrote analyzing the form of JS Bach 3rd Partita for violin back in 1978, when I was preparing to play it (in my transcription for guitar) for Henry Meyer (La Salle Quartet, a legend.). Who are you again?

Greetings,

Assuming that someone reading this thread might actually like to learn something about counterpoint :

Tonal counterpoint (Bach etc) :

http://www.amazon.com/Counterpoint-4th- ... 013080746X

Modal counterpoint (Palestrina etc) :

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Counterpoin ... ywords=fux

A less technical guide :

http://www.amazon.com/Counterpoint-Walt ... ter+piston

There are similar texts from Schoenberg, Searles, and many others listed at Amazon.

Best,

dp

Assuming the same as above here is a lesson and examples of the five species of counterpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkI2z0cFjQ

Needless to say that all five often occur in most types of modern music. A bassline, which is neither totally harmonized nor in unison with the melody applies to counterpoint. Just the fact that the melody goes up and the bass down on the same beat is enough.

off my music phD glasses(that I don't have anyways), in simple words

counter melody - second independent melody separated vertically(played simultaneously) to main melody, therefore in musical terms the second melody is a counter point to main melody.

Winstontaneous wrote: IMO, to break this vicious cycle, the Music Theory forum really needs a sticky FAQ/glossary where basic terms are defined/refined/agreed-upon. Harmony is not just a musical concept... :love:
- Doesn't seems a bad idea whatsoever , no ?

:)

Return to “Music Theory”