Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sequent wrote:The keys are not too bad, but they are on the "mushy side". For all practical purposes, think Microkorg, except here the keys are slightly bigger and therefore a little easier to play. Personally, I'm okay with them, but do not expect the same kind of keys that you would get on a Motif, etc.
Oi, leave me out of this :hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Aiynzahev wrote:I did walkthrough of it, could help if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8irKGk_qzQ

Imo if you want a cheap analog this is a very good option.
Thanks for that, very good! :)

JJ67 wrote:If you imagine a synth with 5 octaves, or even 4 octaves with full size keys, then you could put at least eight circuits for the oscillators next to each other.
An eight voice Maxilogue... :tu:
If it has 61 full size keys, I imagine they can fit 12 circuits inside. 12 voices polyphony and 16 voices multitimbral would be excellent, that's how the original Virus A spec'd and that was totally useable. 16 voices polyphony and multitimbral would make it the new Andromeda.

Uncle E wrote:
JJ67 wrote:If you imagine a synth with 5 octaves, or even 4 octaves with full size keys, then you could put at least eight circuits for the oscillators next to each other.
An eight voice Maxilogue... :tu:
If it has 61 full size keys, I imagine they can fit 12 circuits inside. 12 voices polyphony and 16 voices multitimbral would be excellent, that's how the original Virus A spec'd and that was totally useable. 16 voices polyphony and multitimbral would make it the new Andromeda.
And priced accordingly. :wink:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Speaking for myself, an expanded Minilogue would be just fine, not looking for an Andromeda.

So far all writings on the wall point to minilogue as an upcoming succes of grand -if not epic- proportions, so I think it is very likely Korg will strike while the iron is hot and we will see a majorlogue and middlelogue at some point.
Chime in everybody: "Sweet dreams are made of this..." :harp:

IncarnateX wrote:So far all writings on the wall point to minilogue as an upcoming succes of grand -if not epic- proportions, so I think it is very likely Korg will strike while the iron is hot and we will see a majorlogue and middlelogue at some point.
Chime in everybody: "Sweet dreams are made of this..." :harp:
It does seem entirely likely that we'll see an 8-12 voice version with a full size keyboard at 3-4x the price within the next two years.

minilogue is inexpensive, which will contribute to its success and appeal ... i can see this minilogue, or minilogue-esque, architecture scaling up to an 8 voice unit but not much more. I think once they start going past a certain price point, expectations increase - and it won't just be about voice count. there are also economic things to consider, for example no matter how nice a $3k synth is ... there's only so many units you will shift at that price point. and, with the exception of limited editions, i think korg want to make units that sell in vast quantities.

so the question should really be framed in terms of economics, imo. what is the most we can see Korg charging for a large scale production analogue keyboard ? I can't really see them going past $2k tops while still expecting to shift truck loads of units. I think maybe $1,500ish might be the sweet spot they aim for .... for that I think they could deliver a really nice 8 voice... or a 12 voice with more 'character' ('character' being a positive euphemism fidelity quirks etc) ... and with that in mind i would think they'd err on the side of delivering something really nice.

so I reckon they could do an 8 voice maxilogue for about $1k, and follow that up with a really nice 'Poly 8' for about the $1,500ish mark.

that's just my rambling, incoherent, speculative thoughts as of this moment.

for now I'm hoping they do a desktop/module version of the minilogue (with 16 buttons, while i'm wishing)

Daags wrote:
for now I'm hoping they do a desktop/module version of the minilogue (with 16 buttons, while i'm wishing)
Yes, that would be much more useful than a larger keyboard with the same crappy keys.

IncarnateX wrote:So far all writings on the wall point to minilogue as an upcoming succes of grand -if not epic- proportions, so I think it is very likely Korg will strike while the iron is hot and we will see a majorlogue and middlelogue at some point.
It makes sense. The Volca's were their last big hit and they're now coming up on their sixth version.

Daags wrote:so I reckon they could do an 8 voice maxilogue for about $1k, and follow that up with a really nice 'Poly 8' for about the $1,500ish mark.
I agree that they really couldn't shift too many units for more than $1,500. Korg has enjoyed most of their recent analog success in the sub-$500 range, which is obviously why the Minilogue is priced exactly where it is. The next tier up is the sub-$1,000 range, which gets you the MS-20 or Odyssey. Of course Korg do still sell expensive keyboards, but those are aimed at an entirely different market. Analog aficionados are either going to be the small segment of boutique buyers who are willing to pay for quality, or the mass market who just want the cheapest possible price.

I've listened to a bunch of you tube demos and the Minilogue consistently has a pleasing sound to my ears. With a pleasing sound and a diverse enough range of tones beyond just square and saw, 4 voice polyphony, cool sequencer and cheap price, it's impressive. It seems like a real instrument. Well done by Korg. :tu:

JCJR wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Sequent wrote:@JCJR... good point about trying the auto tune.

As far as tuning in general... in the old days (before computers were able to record audio) a lot of people used to record their mixdowns as left/right to a dat. You would need to have enough modules to cover as many sounds that you wanted to have in your song. (That's probably where this need to have a gazillion synths began, lol).
Indeed, that drove a lot of synth collecting. I have purchased romplers just to get some variety in drum kits, for example. It also drove a need for large multi-input mixers at a reasonable price, which is something else less common today.

I kind of miss my fostex 8-buss, it was a bit noisy, suffered from crossover, but I liked the workflow.
Yeah, that is a big reason I had so many synths back then. Was also on a "mission" to have at least one good example of every synthesis technology, subtractive, additive, wavetable, sampler, FM, PM, etc.
Yeah, I think a lot of us did that. I drooled over the K5000 for a while but then kind of dropped out of synth collecting and missed the blowout.

I don't know if the click issue is still raging, I'm not going to read this thread, it's a cesspool of fanbois and nonsense with only a few tiny islands of reason, but, there was a reddit thread that talked about this and one poster came up with some good potential explantions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _and_cons/

I can tell you from having more than a few broken synths, that clicks on a release will get old. I can think of a lot of reasons why there has been some conflicting observations, but, since I'm not shopping for one, I'll keep it to myself unless my post retriggers any discussion.

ghettosynth wrote:I don't know if the click issue is still raging, I'm not going to read this thread, it's a cesspool of fanbois and nonsense with only a few tiny islands of reason, but, there was a reddit thread that talked about this and one poster came up with some good potential explantions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _and_cons/

I can tell you from having more than a few broken synths, that clicks on a release will get old. I can think of a lot of reasons why there has been some conflicting observations, but, since I'm not shopping for one, I'll keep it to myself unless my post retriggers any discussion.

.... good idea, posting a three week old thread started by the same 'sawwaveanalog' dweeb who has been the same source of 3rd party guff here, in absentia. we've been through his contributions to this topic several times around. if you can 'think of a lot of reasons' blah blah etc, maybe it would have been a better idea to offer those than to simply drop this troll's turd nugget and dash.

or maybe the best idea, since you might just be interested in shit-stirring out of bone idleness, is to find a thread you are actually interested in ? interested enough to read in advance of dredging up old side-topics, at least.

Daags wrote:
posting a three week old thread started by the same 'sawwaveanalog' dweeb
You can call people names all you want, however, I found the four ideas presented to have merit, and I didn't see them discussed here.

The ideas that I was referring to were not posted by the OP.
Hmm... yeah, that'd get annoying if you like pingy sounds. Thanks. A couple of thoughts:

I wonder if the DACs aren't being low-passed (or low-passed enough) before they get to modulate the VC bits? If not, that might be something that's fixable in software, if the per-voice CPUs are fast enough; just up the sample rate and interpolate the modulations up to about 40kHz. (Although if the CPUs aren't fast enough... bad luck.)

I'm also thinking of one of Gordon Reid's bugbears - when voice-stealing slams the envelopes back down to 0 again instead of picking them up from where they are. It's a feature of digital envelopes specifically, and a very common mistake in synth design - he's been moaning about it for two decades now! Maybe there's some of this going on too?

Actually, it sounds like it might be a thing where turning the voice on or off makes the pop - like when the voice's VCA is 0 it's gated out altogether, and gated back in when it rises - and that gating might be what's producing the pop. Does that make sense? If so - easiest software fix ever: just leave all the voices on all the time...

Someone needs to go at this with a bench scope! Then we might actually see what's causing the popping...
I'm curious if anyone's put a scope on one of these things yet? Anyone?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”