What's the best sound card for music production?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I was thinking of buying the ASUS Essence STX II 7.1 sound card, I know the surround sound aspect isn't important, but I would also eventually like to get a surround sound set-up, but my more importantly I want the best sound card for music production, so I'm willing to give the surround sound a miss. I know a lot of you may say "There's not one best sound card" but I want to hear your favourite ones, to hear what comes up more often, and to get a range I can look into, as well as the best rated and best selling ones, so I can do a thorough research...

RME are the best brand, end of
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:RME are the best brand, end of
Yeah, impossible to fault them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

RME makes excellent interfaces, as does Universal Audio. If you're on a Mac, be sure to check out Apogee.

Which connection type are you considering (e.g., Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt, PCI)?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well, i can tell you it's definitely not a "hi-fi" asus card.

For mid priced stuff, I would reccomend presonus or focusrite. Both make very solid and excellent sounding units.

I'd even go with an m-audio card over asus. That card is not intended for pro audio.

Bang for the buck, MOTU interfaces offer excellent alternatives. Especially on the Mac, they are among the top choices. Yhey have a very broad line.

Agree with RME, not so much with Universal Audio (you would end paying for something that is not related with the audio interface - the DSP processing, which, IMO, isn't worth the money, and is not necessary in modern computers).
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Excellent converters and great integration with Cubase are the soundcards by Yamaha/Steinberg (the larger interfaces like the Steinberg UR824).

If I was starting out on a budget Id get a Focusrite.
They also come with a quality plugin package.
The Solo and 2i2 comes with a plugin package that costs twice as much as the soundcard if you bought them separately!

They seem to have a better overall reputation then Presonus.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

4damind wrote:Excellent converters and great integration with Cubase are the soundcards by Yamaha/Steinberg (the larger interfaces like the Steinberg UR824).
Can you please explain this Cubase integration to me ?
I've read loads of info but still don't get it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I've just ordered a Steinberg UR28M interface. Currently I'm using a Steinberg CI1. Solid drivers are paramount, and in my experience, Steinberg doesn't disappoint in that department. Have also had good experiences with M-Audio in the past.

The board killed the half of my post... anyway...
I wrote that it depends of the needed input/outputs and the budget.

Not expensive (only about $90) the Presonus AudioBox iOne, it has also a big volume knob for the monitors so it doesn't need an extra monitor controller, headphone output, microphone input with phantom power or instrument input and the main outs for the monitors.

RME is known to be rock solid with very low latency... but not really cheap.

Excellent converters and great integration with Cubase are the soundcards by Yamaha/Steinberg (the larger interfaces like the Steinberg UR824). For this integration with Cubase and how it works there are Afaik some videos available.

cryophonik wrote:RME makes excellent interfaces, as does Universal Audio. If you're on a Mac, be sure to check out Apogee.

Which connection type are you considering (e.g., Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt, PCI)?
All great!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”