Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr Arkadin wrote:
How about some explanation with that link. Are you saying there's a card there equivalent to the Roland M-series and if so which one and do you know for definite that they're compatible?
i don't think they aren't pcmcia standard-same size-ish but proprietary format,
with a thin sliding metal guard with two tiny springs, revealing gold plated contacts.
PCMCIA uses a socket with 2(or 1?there are different types) rows of holes to accept
incoming pins.

there were at least 2 clones manufactured, i can't remember the names:? Crystal?
and the other one i have the? MAArtist, that's it, grey with pink/red lines text,
something like that, never seen another one.
sinc elast year, it's a ridiculous 60 odd eu!! i won a bid for 2 and they disappeared
in the post, never turned up, so i managed to get another pair for the same price,
30eu each, expensive for a few kilobytes.
unfortuntely the m256 and 256e are used by quite a few devices, from the d-series
onwards -there are plenty around if you wait, but you should be able to get them
for 30eu/30usd if you wait.
wonder if an adapter could be made? i have chopped D20 in a weird rack box, so
i've had a good look at the card input side-maybe m256/128/512 to SD adapter?
hack an existing adapter and somehow make the contacts. you don't need the
guard(it just protects the contacts)-that way you could just get one m256, chop
it up and use it as an adpater for little SD -probably wouldn't work without some
wizardry.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but in case you are still interested... I was also looking for replacement cards a while ago, and since there was nothing, I decided to build some with a friend of mine. Our MRAM-based cards do not require a battery, and there are actually 16 switchable M-256 cards (or 8 M-512 cards) in one, thanks to some neat bank switches at the rear end of the card!
This project is currently is still in beta stage, but the cards have already been confirmed to work with a large variety of Roland and Akai synths.
For more information on the project, check out the thread on vintage synth explorer. ;)
Last edited by sagamusix on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sagamusix wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but in case you are still interested, but I was also looking for replacement cards a while ago, and since there was nothing, I decided to build some with a friend of mine. This project is currently is still in beta stage, but the cards have already been confirmed to work with a large variety of Roland and Akai synths.
For more information on the project, check out the thread on vintage synth explorer. ;)
This is definitely very interesting. You should post on Gearslutz too when it's ready. I'd be up for for at least one.

Thanks for the hint, I'll post there once we've come that far. :)

There is now a Gearslutz thread about the card project, and also a little website containing more information. The card cannot be pre-ordered yet but you can enter your email address on that site to be informed about the availability of the card!

Signed up!

The cards can finally be ordered! https://sagamusix.de/other/roland_memory_cards/

Ordered two! Very excited at the prospect of having 16 banks in my JD synths.

...and they just arrived. All working as expected and loaded loads of banks into it already.

Glad to hear, have fun with the cards! :)

Hey, I just wanted to let you all know that the card are in stock again! Head over to https://sagamusix.de/other/roland_memory_cards/ and grab one while they're available.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”