HoRNet AnalogStage

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A new one from Hornet:

HoRNet AnalogStage emulates those sound characteristics usually associated with analog gear (saturation, hiss, non linear frequency response, etc.) and can be used to bring to your mix some analog console flavor if used on every channel or buss.

AnalogStage simulates the response of three different types of analog technology: operational amplifiers (the cleanest and more modern technology), transistor (the discrete transistor designs were popular in the 70s and have some fat saturation) and tube (the dynamic and smooth saturation of the past). Every one of the three different type of emulation can be used inside the same project but for convenience you can create up to eight group of instances so that any change to the emulation type, age, hiss switch and saturation switch is applied to every plugin belonging to the group.

AnalogStage also provide a stereo VU meter calibrated to -18dBFS to help you gain stage the plugin and to help you even more we added our latest auto gain technology.

We also added an “age” slider that can make your virtual console older simulating the effect of drying condensers, this affect both the saturation amount and the frequency response.
http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/ho ... alogstage/

72 MB :D

oneshotdeal wrote:72 MB :D
Honestly i had the same reaction when i created the zip archives... but it's around 8MB for each plugin and we have: VST, VST3, Audio Unit, RTAS, AAX, on windows also 32bit and 64bit... and this is mainly because of the 5MB needed for the VU Meter graphic.
I know it's a little too much but I'll try to optimize it...

Saverio

Tried it.. kind of liked it but the usability is not very good. The auto gain thing doesn't work at all reliably and the big Gain knob should have an option of being a "drive" knob instead (input gain then exact opposite output gain to compensate).

I'll keep an eye on this but as it is now it's just not at all convenient to use. I don't want to use 3rd party plugins to do simple gain staging and set my levels going into the plugin.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

HoRNet wrote:Honestly i had the same reaction when i created the zip archives... but it's around 8MB for each plugin and we have: VST, VST3, Audio Unit, RTAS, AAX, on windows also 32bit and 64bit... and this is mainly because of the 5MB needed for the VU Meter graphic.
I know it's a little too much but I'll try to optimize it...
5Mb for a plugin isn't much - I have some that are 40 or 50Mb in size so 8Mb is really quite small!
bmanic wrote:Tried it.. kind of liked it but the usability is not very good. The auto gain thing doesn't work at all reliably and the big Gain knob should have an option of being a "drive" knob instead (input gain then exact opposite output gain to compensate).
Hmmm, I found the autogain worked very well indeed, no problems for me. Yes, I agree that having the gain knob as a drive knob with output compensated (and increases/decreases the drive for all instances in the group by the same amount) would be nice, but as it stands, I rather like this. Saverio, you could keep it the way it is and have a second knob for drive which defaults to 0dB - this is output compensated and merely adds to or subtracts from the drive value for each plugin in the same group. That way, the gain works the same way as it does now but with the addition of changing the drive level with no volume change.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Possible to add transformer saturation?

I think the auto gain is perhaps bugging in reaper (I've got v5.112 installed). When I have a section looped it seems to reset the auto gain calculation every loop. I've had it fluctuate by up to 12dB now.. seemingly random. It also ducks down on some drum fills at the end of the drum track. I just can't get it to work properly. :(

The whole point of these kinds of plugins (in my opinion) is the power of gainstaging them. Hitting them hard or soft for various amounts of transient smear/taming. Not being able to do it within the plugin is a huge problem, not just a small omission.

Slate VCC has it. Satson and Britson from Sonimus has it. Klanghelm SDRR has it. Heck, I can't think of another plugin of this kind that doesn't have built in possibility for quick gain staging.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

synzh wrote:Possible to add transformer saturation?
+1
It's easy if you know how

bmanic wrote:I think the auto gain is perhaps bugging in reaper (I've got v5.112 installed). When I have a section looped it seems to reset the auto gain calculation every loop. I've had it fluctuate by up to 12dB now.. seemingly random. It also ducks down on some drum fills at the end of the drum track. I just can't get it to work properly. :(
Hi I'll check what you report and fix it asap, auto gain should not reset during a loop (BTW looping in Live works fine but I haven't tested loops in reaper...)

Saverio

Transistor and Tube models includes a simplistic transformer emu.

Saverio

lesha wrote:
+1
And a +1 from me too. Saverio, I would say don't be shy about adding more saturation to this - I was testing this last night and I found it very subtle even when I drove stuff deep in to the red.

cprompt wrote:
lesha wrote:
+1
And a +1 from me too. Saverio, I would say don't be shy about adding more saturation to this - I was testing this last night and I found it very subtle even when I drove stuff deep in to the red.
well internally it has 18dB of headroom, you can drive it into distortion if you apply 20dB of gain to a 0dbFS signal :)

Does it do crosstalk?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

HoRNet wrote:well internally it has 18dB of headroom, you can drive it into distortion if you apply 20dB of gain to a 0dbFS signal :)
Ah, that's interesting, will try that out later :)

Autogain is also broken in Maschine 2
Jumps around something bad
Duh

Return to “Effects”